DC Advocates For Robbie / Rory Fight into HOF

1 Like

Former UFC dual-weight champion Daniel Cormier believes Rory MacDonald should join him in the Hall.

‘Red King’ is fresh off his knockout defeat to Dilano Taylor at PFL 8 last weekend. The defeat was MacDonald’s fourth in the last five contests. Following the loss, the former UFC title challenger decided to hang up the gloves and retire.
Since that announcement, there’s been an outpouring of support from the MMA community. As a former UFC title challenger, Bellator champion, and PFL star, the Canadian accomplished nearly everything in MMA.

The 33-year-old was also one-half of what is regarded as one of the best fights in MMA history. At UFC 189 in July 2015, MacDonald went to war with then-welterweight champion Robbie Lawler. In the fifth round, ‘Ruthless’ scored the knockout victory.
Now, seven years later, Daniel Cormier believes that fight should go into the Hall of Fame. On the DC & RC podcast, the former UFC champion advocated for Rory MacDonald and Robbie Lawler to be inducted. In fact, he pondered why it hasn’t been inducted already.

‘DC’ also took some time to praise the former Bellator welterweight champion on a great career.
“I don’t know why it’s not in the Hall of Fame already. This is an absolute tap-in, the visuals from this fight. Do you remember when Robbie Lawler was in front of him and he blew a mist of blood toward Rory MacDonald? After a while Rory got beat so bad, he just said ‘To Hell with this’, and went down because his body was beat so bad he couldn’t take anymore.”
Daniel Cormier continued, “Rory MacDonald was the first of the new breed. The kid that didn’t start as a wrestler, as a grappler, as a boxer. He was the guy that did everything, and he fought and won some big fights over the course of his career. Happy trails Rory MacDonald, an absolute gentleman.”

So Does The UG

6 Likes

Agreed. No brainer, imo.

8 Likes

I think putting “fights” into a hall of fame is stupid.

But if you are going to do it, this one is right at the top.

(Honestly I think halls of fame are stupid as concept in all sports)

4 Likes

You stole my thoughts.

UFC HOF is the worst. Even once prestigious halls have also become jokes.

Putting fights in a HOF is a fucking joke (imagine having single games in the MLB/NFL/NBA HOF…).

BUT the biggest joke is not having this fight in your stupid HOF that includes other fights.

3 Likes

I get it , but what if a pitcher throws in insane no hitter , or KOBE scores 70 etc

1 Like

I can’t think of a better fight in ufc history

1 Like

Was this fight before Jones/Gus?

Are there fights that happened after this one that are in the HOF? Because that would be criminal.

Yes

1 Like

What’s wrong with including specific fights in the HOF? Some fights are epic and deserve being singled out as special.

Fedor/Crocop
Fedor/Mino 1
Robbie/Rory
BJ/Hughes
Saku/Royce
Wand/Rampage 1
Shogun/Hendo
Hendo/Bisping
Forrest/Bonnar
Gomi/Kawajiri
Pele/Macaco
Hughes/Newton

It’s a UFC HOF, so lots of those don’t even count to Dana.

And great fights belong in bluray compilations.

It’s fine to highlight them, it’s just weird for a HOF. Doesn’t matter either way, it’s all for fun so it’s fine.

What’s not fine is omitting this fight thus far while including other more recent ones.

At least try to have some level of credibility.

1 Like

Besides if you actually go to a HOF like a tourist , then giving a fuck is just a passing

1 Like

cant put everyone in .Good fighter but no IMO

The fight.

Not the fighter.

2 Likes

Gotta be in, there hasn’t been a better fight since in my opinion

1 Like

You don’t think something like Gatti/Ward or the Rumble in the Jungle deserves special recognition?

1 Like

actually OP says the fighter. Either way , BOTH HOF

1 Like