DC Proposes Interim Featherweight Scrap

Daniel Cormier has an idea on how to save the UFC featherweight division from going stagnant while Alexander Volkanovski pursues champ-champ status.

For his next appearance, all signs point to Volkanovski moving up to lightweight and challenging Islam Makhachev, the newly crowned champ following his second-round submission of Charles Oliveira at UFC 280 this past October. Though nothing is confirmed, the reigning featherweight champ and Makhachev have expressed interest in sharing the Octagon early next year.

While Volkanovski spends the next few months preparing for Makhachev, Cormier wants to see the featherweight division as active as possible, so he proposes an interim championship fight between Arnold Allen and Josh Emmett. On the most recent episode of DC & RC, the UFC Hall of Famer explains why those two contenders should be going for gold in the absence of Volkanovsk

So they want to give someone a fake belt because Volkanovski is chasing greatness? I thought MMA fans hated that in boxing

These ex fighter shills are as corny as it gets

Happy Lol GIF by Desus & Mero

Once again, shut the fuck up DC.

Always talking hot garbage.

2 Likes

Usually I’m against interim titles. But I don’t hate this one

Go home DC, you’re drunk.

2 Likes

I dont remember why, but i remember thinking “fuck josh emmett”. Not fighter bashing - i do not remember what made me have (albeit brief) contempt for him.

Yeah I don’t like Interim Belts especially after the Champ defended the Belt 4 months ago. That’s not long enough for an Interim imo.

Compare that to the HW Title that hasn’t been defended in 10 months and I don’t think there has been an Interim Title for that Division in the meantime.

1 Like

Funny thing is the UFC made the int. belt for Gane vs Lewis only four months after Ngannou won the real belt and they did it in an attempt to strong-arm Ngannou and it didnt work. Then he beat Gane in the champ vs champ fight and the UFC was fucked. They could not go and create another int. HW belt against Ngannou’s real belt because they just did that shit.

What were they gonna do this year? Have Gane fight for a 2nd Int. belt vs Tuivasa after he had just won an int. belt and then lost to the real champ who is fighting the UFC behind the scenes?

It would have exposed the whole bullshit tactic of weaponizing the int. belt which they tried to do by making it available after Ngannou was inactive for only four months. Meanwhile Stipe was out a year and there was no int. title up for grabs between the 2nd and 3rd DC fights when he was champ.

Ngannou beat Gane but in a way he also beat the UFC when he won that fight.

1 Like

I had to double check the timeline on that cause it seems like now would be the time for the HW Interim Title but they played that Card way too soon like you said giving him that Interim shot the first time that it would not be a good look to have Gane be the 2-Time Interim HW Champ so soon. HW Division is a fucking mess and Interim Belts at the wrong time made it worse.

1 Like

100% it made it worse. Made it worse like adding WFW to the UFC without the ability to create a top 10 let alone a top 15. Even the UFC president admits its a shit division but they have a belt for it? Not a good look. Meanwhile Dana says they won’t do 165 and make 170 become 175 even though its all the talent at FW, LW and WW that carries the whole fucking promotion at this point.

So UFC made an int. belt for Gane vs Lewis after four months and that tactic vs Ngannou didn’t work too well so they can’t make another right now so the division is just gonna chill in “who gives a shit” mode for a little while and Jones, Stipe and Ngannou will continue vocalizing what they don’t like about the UFC while they are the top 3 in the division.

For being so successful in MMA, UFC does some dumb shit.

1 Like

This. STFU goofy fuck

1 Like

dccry2