De la Riva accused of rape

HotSteppa - PArt of it is cultural, I had the experience of meeting a few Brazilian black belts in late 1990s. It was odd, getting used to their macho and "romantic" personalities. I remember being at a seminar and watching the instructor kiss all the pretty teenage girls and young adult women on the cheek. It seem forced, and all us North Americans just stood around and laughed nervously, while a couple girls "cringed" but were polite. I had a Brazilian friend laugh and say that is normal.

Personally, I don’t have doubt that he did it. But I think people forget that older guys get horny and want to get laid, and BJJ instructors are no different.

I’ll get in trouble for saying this, but none of the girls in my family I grew up with were raised with bad morals and all would have had said “no you are not coming over for a massage”, etc. no matter the guy who was asking. He didn’t force himself on her, he made a move, asked for a massage, and she let him in and slept with him. They are both adults.

To me it is a non-issue. Just because he teaches you a sport doesn’t mean anything. I believe her, but I think she used bad judgment on who to sleep with. Again, for girls with decent morals, it would have been a non-issue.

I don’t think it’s as simple of an issue as good vs bad morals. Many abused people have deep psychological dependence on their abusers.

I can definitely see people of “good” morals, being tricked into sleeping with their BJJ instructors.

1 Like
HotSteppa - PArt of it is cultural, I had the experience of meeting a few Brazilian black belts in late 1990s. It was odd, getting used to their macho and "romantic" personalities. I remember being at a seminar and watching the instructor kiss all the pretty teenage girls and young adult women on the cheek. It seem forced, and all us North Americans just stood around and laughed nervously, while a couple girls "cringed" but were polite. I had a Brazilian friend laugh and say that is normal.

Personally, I don’t have doubt that he did it. But I think people forget that older guys get horny and want to get laid, and BJJ instructors are no different.

I’ll get in trouble for saying this, but none of the girls in my family I grew up with were raised with bad morals and all would have had said “no you are not coming over for a massage”, etc. no matter the guy who was asking. He didn’t force himself on her, he made a move, asked for a massage, and she let him in and slept with him. They are both adults.

To me it is a non-issue. Just because he teaches you a sport doesn’t mean anything. I believe her, but I think she used bad judgment on who to sleep with. Again, for girls with decent morals, it would have been a non-issue.

He’s married, in his 60’s and presents himself as some honorable old martial arts master family man to be looked up to. Look at his social media. 

You can’t act like you’re that and then weasel your way into the pants of a woman who has been training with you since she was a girl and looks up to you as a mentor. 

You cant have it both ways. It’s a scumbag move no matter how you look at it. Also lol at bringing up your sisters as some sort or moral barometer as to how women should act. I bet you’d be surprised lol. 

3 Likes
HillboFrateTrane - 
HotSteppa - PArt of it is cultural, I had the experience of meeting a few Brazilian black belts in late 1990s. It was odd, getting used to their macho and "romantic" personalities. I remember being at a seminar and watching the instructor kiss all the pretty teenage girls and young adult women on the cheek. It seem forced, and all us North Americans just stood around and laughed nervously, while a couple girls "cringed" but were polite. I had a Brazilian friend laugh and say that is normal.

He’s married, in his 60’s and presents himself as some honorable old martial arts master family man to be looked up to. Look at his social media. 

You can’t act like you’re that and then weasel your way into the pants of a woman who has been training with you since she was a girl and looks up to you as a mentor. 

You cant have it both ways. It’s a scumbag move no matter how you look at it. Also lol at bringing up your sisters as some sort or moral barometer as to how women should act. I bet you’d be surprised lol. 

Oh Christ, I watched the video, in short, Star Struck girl, who had a “cold” relationship with her father, views this older guy like a father, yet he is a horny old pervert and seduces her. Look, I’m not going to justify his scumbag move, because it was, but she started training with him when she was and adult at 21 and was late 20s when he macked on her.

She was also says she low self-esteen, no friends, was into the BJJ lifestyle (obviously), date an abusive steroid guy who she dumped, was depressed, had bulimia, etc. In other words, no her strongest self.

He asks to come over for a massage, and she tries to rationalize it away, he then gives her a massage, and makes his move. She is too taken aback to say no and the have sex. I believe her, I just think that she viewed him in one way, and he viewed her in another and inside she was too messed up to turn him down. If it had been some old but handsome Brazilian stud who came over, then we probably wouldn’t be hearing about it. I don’t think it is “abuse” as the interviewer repeatedly tries to frame it, I think it is an old pervert trying to take advantage. And as I mentioned in another post, I find older Brazilian men, at least from my experience 15 to 20 years ago…ummmmm…romantically assertive…

Look, there are a few ladies I have known since I was born, and I think of them like mothers or aunts. If one of them messages me to come over one night for a massage and then showed up I am not going to pretend I don’t know what’s up. I would know well enough to firmly say no. She does say that she knew but tried to rationalize it.

The problem is this girl is messed up inside, she put this guy on a pedestal as people do here, and this guy took advantage, and wanted to get laid. Scummy move. But beyond that, I don’t see a story here. She felt betrayed, shocked, but to me, that is more naivite than anything.

As I said, if he was say, 15 years younger, 100% more attractive and made his move, would it be considered “abusive”? Guys hit on girls and try to get laid. Fact of life.

To her it feels like a betrayal of trust, and the image she carries of him inside as this father figure.

Best thing to do is leave.

The problem I have with him is that he pursued it afterwards. But often those kind are oblivious to how the other is feeling.

HotSteppa -
HillboFrateTrane - 

Oh Christ, I watched the video, in short, Star Struck girl, who had a “cold” relationship with her father, views this older guy like a father, yet he is a horny old pervert and seduces her. Look, I’m not going to justify his scumbag move, because it was, but she started training with him when she was and adult at 21 and was late 20s when he macked on her.

She was also says she low self-esteen, no friends, was into the BJJ life (obviously), date an abusive steroid guy who she dumped, was depressed, had bulimia, etc. In other words, no her strongest self.

He asks to come over for a massage, and she tries to rationalize it away, he then gives her a massage, and makes his move. She is too taken aback to say no and the have sex. I believe her, I just think that she viewed him in one way, and he viewed her in another and inside she was too messed up to turn him down. If it had been some old but handsome Brazilian stud who came over, then we probably wouldn’t be hearing about it. I don’t think it is “abuse” as the interviewer repeatedly tries to frame it, I think it is an old pervert trying to take advantage. And as I mentioned in another post, I find older Brazilian men, at least from my experience 15 to 20 years ago…ummmmm…romantically assertive…

Look, there are a few ladies I have known since I was born, and I think of them like mothers or aunts. If one of them messages me to come over one night for a massage and then showed up I am not going to pretend I don’t know what’s up. I would know well enough to firmly say no. She does say that she knew but tried to rationalize it.

The problem is this girl is messed up inside, she put this guy on a pedestal as people do here, and this guy took advantage, and wanted to get laid. Scummy move. But beyond that, I don’t see a story here. She felt betrayed, shocked, but to me, that is more naivite than anything.

As I said, if he was say, 15 years younger, 100% more attractive and made his move, would it be considered "abusive"? Guys hit on girls and try to get laid. Fact of life.

To her it feels like a betrayal of trust, and the image she carries of him inside as this father figure.

The problem I have with him is that he pursued it afterwards. But often those kind are oblivious to how the other is feeling.

You’re fine with him presenting himself one way and acting another. I think being two faced like that is reprehensible and inexcusable. No different from scummy mcdojo faggots. 

Maybe up your standards, bro. Don’t act like Miyagi and then try and fuck your students. It’s not hard. I’m glad she said something, I definitely think less of him now. 

2 Likes

the whole trend of the BJJ community sleeping around with teammates and instructors to begin with is deplorable and toxic.

1 Like
HELWIG -

the whole trend of the BJJ community sleeping around with teammates and instructors to begin with is deplorable and toxic.

Who’d have thought trying to transition from a latin-influenced bro-ish club sport to life-coaching traditional martial art wouldn’t go swimmingly? 

HillboFrateTrane -
HotSteppa -
HillboFrateTrane - 

She was also says she low self-esteen, no friends, was into the BJJ life (obviously), date an abusive steroid guy who she dumped, was depressed, had bulimia, etc. In other words, no her strongest self.

As I said, if he was say, 15 years younger, 100% more attractive and made his move, would it be considered "abusive"? Guys hit on girls and try to get laid. Fact of life.

You’re fine with him presenting himself one way and acting another. I think being two faced like that is reprehensible and inexcusable. No different from scummy mcdojo faggots. 

Maybe up your standards, bro. Don’t act like Miyagi and then try and fuck your students. It’s not hard. I’m glad she said something, I definitely think less of him now. 

he called it a “scumbag move”.  didn’t sound like he condoned it

1 Like
HELWIG -

Fully agreed. However this is rampant in any field. The predatory And exploitative behavior is scummy as hell.

However to be somewhat fair to bjj its a bunch of people in good shape in close physical contact with one another, who spend hours and hours together. Its to be expected that relationships in some shape and form will come out of that. The predatory and exploitative behavior is seperate from that.

TheBearStare - 
HELWIG -

Fully agreed. However this is rampant in any field. The predatory And exploitative behavior is scummy as hell.

However to be somewhat fair to bjj its a bunch of people in good shape in close physical contact with one another, who spend hours and hours together. Its to be expected that relationships in some shape and form will come out of that. The predatory and exploitative behavior is seperate from that.

I think you are overextending the word “relationship” in the context of BJJ. I knew someone that went to Brazil in late 90s and trained at a well-known club and the instructors were doing exactly the same- trying thing: that is, to sleep with as many as the female students there as possible. Most of the instructors had slept with a multitude of the female students, and it was well-known who the “gigolos” of the clubs were. Most Brazilian men in BJJ are somewhat like this, and look for attractive younger women to sleep with and from what I was told (but can’t verify) that quite of the females were teenagers (16 and up).

But I also know that certain women are attracted the BJJ “lifestyle” and “fighters” and all that. And many tend to be, how shall we say, partiers, and the equivalent iun North America would be puck bunnies. Machismo, and sexuality have always been strong parts of the “BJJ Lifestyle” it is just that no one wants to admit it.

HotSteppa -
HillboFrateTrane - 

She was also says she low self-esteen, no friends, was into the BJJ lifestyle (obviously), date an abusive steroid guy who she dumped, was depressed, had bulimia, etc. In other words, no her strongest self.

As I said, if he was say, 15 years younger, 100% more attractive and made his move, would it be considered “abusive”? Guys hit on girls and try to get laid. Fact of life.

the unstoppable force(steppa) meets the immovable object(hillbo)

I am to be liking this meeting of the minds, hillbo's a dirty bastard but the steppa will pull out all stops in this battle

de braco -
HotSteppa -
HillboFrateTrane - 

the unstoppable force(steppa) meets the immovable object(hillbo)

I am to be liking this meeting of the minds, hillbo's a dirty bastard but the steppa will pull out all stops in this battle

I don’t really care that much. Different set of life circumstances and enough opportunity I could be an enormous scumbag too. I just can’t stand hypocrites. 

Good thread 

We are all laughing and having fun!

let me clarify before i get down voted into bolivia that i'm not laughing at the young ladies accusations, just the banter and historic showdown between steppa and hiibo. Now there's paperview worth buying

de braco -

We are all laughing and having fun!

let me clarify before i get down voted into bolivia that i'm not laughing at the young ladies accusations, just the banter and historic showdown between steppa and hiibo. Now there's paperview worth buying

Yup...

#metoo

If he was packing a large calabresa we wouldn't be having this discussion right now

Sometimes covid-19 lets me porrada -

If he was packing a large calabresa we wouldn't be having this discussion right now

a fat wallet used to help as well but not so much anymore.  I have a daughter and I would have a big problem if one of her coaches called her up for a massage if she was in high school or college.  however, at 25, 26 years old, she is old enough to make good decisions.  If my daughter tells me something like this happens to her, I would be wondering what I did wrong as a father.   If she is not a massage therapist, and someone says they are coming over for a massage, this is because he thinks it will lead to more and she should know better.  I would also expect after my daughter decided to consent and continue with making the poor decision she wouldn't be seeking revenge for her own lack of self-esteem.  

As long as steppa doesn’t get caught between the moon and New York City, this should be a barn burner