Deep Leg bruises from Muay Thai?

Just looking for some suggestions. I took a hard kick on Monday night and have been hobbling a little since then. What do others do to treat it and get back to training 100%? I have been icing and taking ibuprofen. But, a few light legs kicks last night buckled me.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Colin

Thigh or shin?

Thigh give it a couple days...quit taking legkicks, build up your legs a bit and it won't be as bad.

Shins? quit being a bitch and kick the fucking bag already.

Oh and learn to check.

RICE Rest Ice Compression Elevation+ the ibuprofren will help too. If you have access to a hot tub you can do constrast baths alternating hot and cold every 20 minutes. Ultrasound can help too if you want to go to a physical therapist.

time off.

Sorry it was a kick to the thigh. I have a hematoma on my lower leg close the ankle but, it has been there for years. Someone in Jiu Jitsu dropped their knee on it and it really never healed i guess.

Thanks for the help,
Colin

^A hemoptoma for years?

I take it you don't know what a hemotoma is. It's just a fancy word for bruise...

Jedi is correct

tim

No, I know what it is. I went to the hospital for it once when it swelled up. They just told me to ice it and wrap it. There is still a bump. Its just hard now.

a massage wand/hammer will help get the circulation moving.

"No, I know what it is. I went to the hospital for it once when it swelled up. They just told me to ice it and wrap it. There is still a bump. Its just hard now."

Calcium deposit IMO.

My shin has an indention from where I had a kick checked in a mma fight. The shin is still not right. It has a slight indention on it. I had it x rayed and they couldn't find a fracture or anything but it's still fucked up 2 years later.

my understanding of muscle injuries is that if its swelling and within the first 24 hours of the injury, use ice. afterwards, use a heating pad only after the swelling goes down and to increase blood flow in order to start the healing process.

for a bruise like that and assuming that it stops hurting (no pain unless you get hit), i would think there are alot of broken blood vessels which probably need heat. also, massage therapy and stretching of the area would also speed up the healing process.

also dont stop training. getting alot thigh bruises is part of the growing pains in learning muay thai. learn how to maintain a more balance muay thai stance so you can switch faster between offense (ie attacking with your hands) and defense (ie defending with your legs).

-rom

My shins and insteps are so destroyed.  Just Ice it for a few days.  Don't get kicked for 7 days.

Do NOT use Ibuprophen for bruising. Ibuprophen along with asprin and alleve make bruising worse. For bruising use tylenol, if you can go with out analgesics that is better. Ice helps, heat doesen't.

PLEASE with Tylenol, other acetaminophen products, possibly ibuprofen and other over the counter pain killers - read the labels and DO NOT EXCEED the doses OR time period of use - acetaminophen products are well known for destroying livers due to over use, and the most common explanation patients give is "I didn't think I was taking that much."

"Do NOT use Ibuprophen for bruising. Ibuprophen along with asprin and alleve make bruising worse. For bruising use tylenol"

Tylenol does nothing for bruising, it is simply a pain killer. Ibuprofen and similar drugs reduce swelling and actually aid in the recovery process. They don't make bruises worse.

I would say that tylenol and ibruprofren are both useless in this instance. For deep bruises on your shin, the ice and heat stuff people are talking about works fine, but also take the focus off of getting kicked for awhile while it heals and do other stuff. You want lots of blood flow to the area.

As for knots, do not smash them or push down on them. Some will stick around on your shins long term. I have calcium deposits all over my shins, and I haven't trained for a few years now. I had one knot that was HUGE, painful, and stuck around literally for about 5-6 years...cause I listened to bad advice and smashed it down a few times. If you want to spar, double or triple up on the shinguards for that leg until it starts to go down and stops hurting.