Derailing a hype train

Are there any fighters that you can remember who hijacked someone else’s hype train? Masvidal briefly stole Ben’s hype after the flying knee which got him the fight with Nate for the “bmf belt” but then went on to never win again after winning that “belt”. Who is someone who did more after a derailing win?

On the flip side, who is someone that immediately got back on track after being derailed?

1 Like

Frank mir derailed the hype train behind Brock Lesnar. But Brock should have won that fight. When have you ever in your life seen a ref stand up a fight after 2 punches to the “back” of the head and take away a point? Never. Steve mazzagati had it out for Brock cause he’s a hater

Nate Diaz derailed the hype train behind McTapper

Mickey Gall ended the hype behind Phil Brooks

Jon Jones derailed the hype train behind Glover who was on a 20 fight win streak

6 Likes

Brock is a good example of getting back on track considering his level of competition his whole career, well besides his 1st fight.

1 Like

Forrest griffin ended the hype train behind both Rampage Jackson and shogun Rua. Pride fc fans really hate that guy lol

Speaking of which Gabe ended the hype behind Cro Cop when he joined the ufc

5 Likes

Another thing on Frank Mir that should be mentioned. If his motorcycle wreck would have never happened, We may never have seen the Tim Sylvia era as it was and may have just seen a dominant Mir era

7 Likes

Can’t wait to TTT this thread after Geoff neal ends the hype behind cuck boy

2 Likes

Two of the single worst moments in Pride never die fans history. Shogun losing to Forrest or Gonzaga headkicking Cro Cop into another dimension. Those have to rank 1-2.

5 Likes

Allan Jouban took Mike Perry’s thunder and used the hype to become a broadcaster for a minute.

Shogun took the souls of Rampage, Arona and Machida at their peak. Quinton went on to become UFC champ, Machida became average and Arona switched to surfing.

2 Likes

Tommy Fury derailed the Jake Paul hype train

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

1 Like

Anthony Pettis - fresh off the Showtime kick, on the road to superstardom - getting wrestlefucked by Guida.

And Pettis did eventually get it back, becoming champion a couple years later. But he didn’t reach that popularity that he could have when he had all that initial buzz.

(Many of the examples here are god awful :laughing:. Champions and proven fighters - especially those losing to other champions and proven fighters - are not hype trains.)

4 Likes

I think you’re stretching things a bit here.

A hype train is unwarranted attention heaped on someone who has yet to accomplish much.

Talking about guys who had fought forever and accomplished more than most and 100% earned their praise that eventually lost in a sport where everyone does is just being obtuse and disingenuous.

But any chance to try and shit on anything Pride I guess. You do you. You’re like a warehouse full of the same broken record. You should really move on in life.

6 Likes

I don’t know how hyped he really was, but I remember hearing about Wonderboy coming into his Facebook prelims first UFC fight. Got the knockout. Then got decision’d by Matt Brown before going on a good run.

So maybe that counts a little as a hype de-rail then coming back from it?

Roger Huerta had some good hype until he started losing his edge.

1 Like

So you’re telling me there was no hype behind shogun Rua and rampage Jackson when they joined the ufc?

Hype can be warranted and unwarranted

He’s a retard. He can’t help but lick the windows while looking around to see the reaction he’s getting.

Kamaru Usman ended the (casual’s) hype behind Masvidal

ActiveFrequentBorer-size_restricted

5 Likes

Tom Aspinal just ended the Sergei Pavlovich hype train in brutal fashion

3 Likes

Masvidal ended the Nate Diaz hype train.

1 Like

I don’t think he was talking strictly about the fake type of hype. He’s talking about dudes who go on to regain their winning streaks after getting a single loss.

Ahh yes his whopping 1 fight win streak. Against Anthony Pettis

When Usman KO’d Masvidal, Masvidal was coming off perhaps arguably the greatest year a non-champion has ever had in the ufc.

I don’t like him at all but 2019 Jorge Masvidal was special. He KO’d Darren Till in London in round 2. Then he KO’d Ben Asscream in record time. Then he beat the dog piss out of Nate

He had warranted hype behind him at the time

1 Like