DFW: Conor McGregor is retired

MMA Retirement is usually not what it says. But former champ champ Conor McGregor has taken it to the next level.

In March of 2016, he retired in a dispute over traveling to a news conference for the Nate Diaz rematch; he returned and won. In April of 2019 he retired again, and returned in January, beating "Cowboy" Cerrone in 40 seconds, and announced he wanted two more fights in 2020. Then the novel coronavirus derailed that plan. And during the UFC 250 broadast, "The Notorious" has retired again.

Ariel Helwani and Marc Raimondi report for ESPN that McGregor's management has had extensive negotiations with the UFC about a fight in July, and that the issue isn't compensation, it's the opponent. McGregor has been vocal that he wants a fight vs. interim champion Justin Gaethje, with the winner getting a shot at division champ Khabib Nurmagomedov. However, the UFC is instead holding a title unification fight.

UFC president Dana White spoke with ESPN MMA’s Brett Okamoto post UFC on ESPN 11, and was asked if he had any contact whatsoever with McGregor.

“No," replied White. "Conor McGregor is retired. ... I don't chase guys that don't want to fight. I don't chase guys. We offer guys three fights a year. You get three fights a year, if you don't want to fight, I've got a roster full of people who want to fight."

https://youtu.be/sdL1rJPxeRM?t=261

While White's remarks can be interpreted as a subtle challenge to McGregor to return. But White said before MayMac that given the amount of revenue McGregor will make (it was likely just a little shy of $100 million) he might never compete in the Octagon again. McGregor has fought twice since, making another fortune.

McGregor estimated, undoubtedly with some hyperbole, that the Nurmagomedov fight made him $50 million and the Cowboy fight $80 million. And McGregor claimed that his Proper No. 12 Irish whiskey did a billion in sales in the first year; again, add a grain of salt to that drink. A good rule of thumb in MMA is to cut the number in half, but even using that qualifier, McGregor has made hundreds of millions of dollars. So he will come back when he wants to, and he will likely want to. But don't be stunned if Conor McGregor never fights again.

Aka "we are waiting for Poirier vs Hooker, and if Poirier wins we are setting up Dustin/Conor 2"

1 Like
Bend The Knee - 

Aka "we are waiting for Poirier vs Hooker, and if Poirier wins we are setting up Dustin/Conor 2"

Hell, I wouldn’t mind seeing McGregor take on Hooker just to see him fight.

Bend The Knee -

no way conor giving him rematch He has nothing to gain.

2 Likes

Good 

2 Likes

CCC

Conor

GSP

Masvidal

Nunes

Jones

All "retired".  Not a good look for Egg.  Incapable of booking the sport's biggest stars during their primes. 

Time to go.  Let's get someone capable at the helm.

7 Likes

Lol he thinks he's entitle to a fight that involves a belt. UFC said no and offered him someone else for what would have probably been a #1 contender fight I assume. Conor didn't like the opponent. Cries and retires. I really hope he comes back to get smeshed again though ;)

1 Like
Winston Wolf -
Bend The Knee -

Sure he does. Beats a top 3 LW and puts himself in a title shot position..

Winston Wolf -
Bend The Knee -

Except conor can see it as a winnable fight and keep his silly gimmick going. 

He should want tony and then the winner of gaethje vs khabib, but that is a dangerous road he wants no part of

1 Like

Conor should be kicking down doors to fight Ferguson. As much as I can't stand Conor, if there's anyone else who can do to Ferguson what Gaethje did, it's him. 

1 Like
jgiveshead -

CCC

Conor

GSP

Masvidal

Nunes

Jones

All "retired".  Not a good look for Egg.  Incapable of booking the sport's biggest stars during their primes. 

Don't forget the Diaz brothers, Fedor, Brock.

If Scott Coker was at the helm of this ship since ~2013, they'd all be fighting right now.

Having Conor, Bones and Masvidal, all in their prime, sitting around is frustrating as a fan. 

Makes me even more excited for Khabib vs Gaethje. 

1 Like

All this tough talk when guys are fighting in empty arenas.

The UFC has resolved themselves to financial loss and, as a result, Conor loses his leverage. But let’s not pretend this is a long term narrative. 

This is Dana’s new (and old) thing. 

Retired = doesn’t want to fight. 

Wants more money = doesn’t want to fight. 

Wants anything I won’t give him = doesn’t want to fight. 

The ESPN contract means they don’t need stars anymore. ESPN made the mistake of thinking UFC would put on good fights to try for higher buy rates. But it’s a much better model to not pay anyone a lot. Top guys sit and other guys become top guys. Small waves up and down but no huge spikes or drops. 

Conor retired when he learned Fight Island was in Abu Dhabi. 

knockoutfighter -

That's an interesting take on it I've got to admit.

Nytron -
jgiveshead -

CCC

Conor

GSP

Masvidal

Nunes

Jones

Don't forget the Diaz brothers, Fedor, Brock.

If Scott Coker was at the helm of this ship since ~2013, they'd all be fighting right now.

Is that why Bellator has been so great? Lol Coker is terrible 

jgiveshead -
knockoutfighter -

That's an interesting take on it I've got to admit.

In the grand scheme I’m sure it’s a variety of issues, his wealth, health, legacy, etc etc.  I’m just guessing based of him saying he wanted to fight 3-4 times this year, then Corona hit and no live gates, but Conor still seemed hyped about Fight Island, I thought that’s where he would return.  Hopefully this retirement is just a lack of opponent and him be frustrated. and no live gate revenue is a factor for both Conor & UFC, Dana might be telling Conor to sit this out until December and he’s pissed.. 

We were never friends

- Dana