DFW: GSP vs. Silva at 170, belt not on line

Bucephalus -
rockwell - If Anderson doesn't want to fight the elite at LHW let him cut to fight the elite at 170

Worst logic ever.

That's almost as bad as George's logic that he can't go to 185 because he's an "ectomorph".. when Anderson has even more of an ectomorph physique.

George never said ge cant go to 185. He said ge cant go up then come down and keep doing it. He infqct said if he went up to 185 ge would stay there. Phone Post

So, quick question:

If it comes down to a non-title 170 lbs match Vs. GSP, or a 185 lbs title defense against Weidman, what would you prefer to see?

hmmm George is intelligent that's what fight fans dislike about him, he wants to win this fight so bad that he'll take on a dehydrated Anderson Silva like come on its a gad damn honor to fight against Silva, i remember a few of years ago George would talk about how his legacy is the most important thing when it comes to mma,now a few years later when its possible that Anderson will fight him hes got on these bogus weight requirements...Anderson has no choice but to move down to 170, Anderson was being as reasonable as possible he wanted a fight at a median....that's fair that shows hespect to George as a fighter..George has got no honor and hespect!!why not seize the moment.ooh rite cause George has doubts in his mind that he wont even come close to beating Anderson.

Anderson should suggest that if George wants to make this at 170 cause he candidly reminds us all, that Anderson fought at 168 in pride well why don't we bring back the good old days......UFC ANDERSON SILVA VS GEORGE ST PIERRE JAPAN!!! PRIDE RULES!!!

tired of seeing George land elbows that do cosmetic damage nothing to ko someone with...SO 170 = PRIDE RULES<br />imma write a petition rite now!!whose gonna sign this bad boy with me????

Farewell Brock - 
Bucephalus -
rockwell - If Anderson doesn't want to fight the elite at LHW let him cut to fight the elite at 170

Worst logic ever.

That's almost as bad as George's logic that he can't go to 185 because he's an "ectomorph".. when Anderson has even more of an ectomorph physique.

George never said ge cant go to 185. He said ge cant go up then come down and keep doing it. He infqct said if he went up to 185 ge would stay there. Phone Post

I already said that. ("George won't come up to 185 without staying there. Anderson won't stay at 170 to defend his belt. ")

The point is that George said he can't move up and down in weight because "he's an ectomorph", yet he expects Anderson who has already fought at LHW and Middleweight to drop down to 170 and back up again even though Anderson has a more ectomorphic physique. George's logic is inconsistent.

lozer81 - i still dont get why anderson is picking on the little guy, if he want to be great and seal the pound for pound thing he should man up and fight jon jones, not somebody who will be the smallest fighter he's fought in the ufc, thats crap to me.

well guess what!!!??!! Jon Jones never called out anderson their at a mutual state..if Jon Jones called out Anderson...hes gonna take the fight 100 percent.HE AINT SCARED HOMIE something that we all know aint true about George

and whats this BS about picking on the little guy...is this not the #2 pound of pound mma fighter????hes not number 10 on the list the last time i fucking checked it. Anderson is competitive hes wants the number #2 guy hes doing you dumbass fans a fucking favor hes trying to makes the fights that matter most.

Ppandj - 

Gsp would be a small middle weight. Phone Post

GSP wont have to make middle weight if he agrees to fight at 177....

lozer81 - i still dont get why anderson is picking on the little guy, if he want to be great and seal the pound for pound thing he should man up and fight jon jones, not somebody who will be the smallest fighter he's fought in the ufc, thats crap to me.

Anderson has been a champion at 168 and 185.

George has been a champion at 170 and has talked about a permanent move to 185 some day.

Jon Jones on the other hand is a Light Heavyweight with plans to go to heavyweight after the next season of TUF.

You do the math.

Bucephalus -
Farewell Brock - 
Bucephalus -

Worst logic ever.

I already said that. ("George won't come up to 185 without staying there. Anderson won't stay at 170 to defend his belt. ")

The point is that George said he can't move up and down in weight because "he's an ectomorph", yet he expects Anderson who has already fought at LHW and Middleweight to drop down to 170 and back up again even though Anderson has a more ectomorphic physique. George's logic is inconsistent.

I think at the end of the day gsp is trying to say that its more likely that Anderson could make 170 than gsp making 185 and the fight being competitive. Truth be told Anderson has shown the ability to move weight classes without problem. (I fully ubdrstand moving up is completely different than movie g down at 170. Just stating that Silva has experience in doing it whereas gsp does not) Phone Post

Farewell Brock - I think at the end of the day gsp is trying to say that its more likely that Anderson could make 170 than gsp making 185 and the fight being competitive. Truth be told Anderson has shown the ability to move weight classes without problem. (I fully ubdrstand moving up is completely different than movie g down at 170. Just stating that Silva has experience in doing it whereas gsp does not) Phone Post

At the end of the day, both Anderson and George are on a trajectory of gaining weight... Anderson from 168 to 185.. and George has been talking about eventually going to 185. If anything, it's George who should be moving up - not just because that is where he is already headed, but because he is bigger than most of his welterweight opponents on fight night. It's also illogical to say that Anderson should be able to cut to 170 just because he can go up to 205 and cut back to 185.

word "if" has never been so important imo. Phone Post

wasnt he one of those people saying pound for pound is nonsense?

Look - Silva is the one with the hard on for fighting GSP. Silva won't stop calling him out.

Silva is the challenger.

As the challenger you have to come to the person who you are challenging. IT doesn't make sense for Silva to call out GSP and then say "oh, btw - now you have to come out of your weight class".

Likewise if Jones challenged Silva - I would expect him to drop to 185.... if jones challenges JDS then I expect him to move up to heavyweight... Its not rocket science - YOU'RE THE CHALLENGER.

IF both GSP and Silva both wanted this badly - then yeah - i suppose a catch weight could make sense - but right now its only Silva who has a hard on for this fight.

i dont like this fight

silva being abit of a puss calling out a smaller fighter

silva wants to more

but if silva agrees to fight george at 170

IT SHOULD BE FOR THE BELT

A non-title fight is stupid if Silva makes 170. As much as I am rooting for GSP, if he loses at 170, he simply cannot go on being the champion. It would render the belt meaningless. Phone Post

Why the F wouldnt the title be on the line? Do it at 177 if it's not a title fight. one great fighter is going to take a loss if this fight happens. can't we just accept that and roll wit it?

If Anderson goes to 170, this fight should be for GSP's belt. Phone Post

Refresh Phone Post

"But the reality is that at that age, it would be next to impossible for Silva to drop to 170 without some kind of health risk."

He weighs in at 185. He would just have to lose (slim down) 15lb of fat/muscle and then "cut" the same amount he cuts now. He doesn't need to lose 50lb.

Good grief this thread is frustrating...

Fake fucking thread title.

People saying Anderson is picking on a smaller guy... That argument goes out the window if he makes 170.

The actual thought of Anderson making 170 and not fighting for the championship... Why the hell make it at 170 then?! 170 is a weight class and the champion of that weight class is fighting against another world champion! WTF?!

SJBenoist - I think Dana is saying he doesn't want to name Silva champ if he has no intention of defending the belt. It doesn't sound like GSP has any say about it.

But who cares about the belt with respect to this fight, seriously?

Silva @170 is the only way I actually look forward to seeing this fight.

Wow I feel really sorry for you then buddy, cause I'm be pumped for this no matter what the weight. I think is funny when these so called "fans" act like little GSP has no chance against the giant Silva.
Anderson fights at 185 and GSP fights 170. People talk about this fight like its freakin Edgar vs Overeem