DFW: GSP vs. Silva at 170, belt not on line

Silva aint making 170

AK-BJJ - Good grief this thread is frustrating...

Fake fucking thread title.

People saying Anderson is picking on a smaller guy... That argument goes out the window if he makes 170.

The actual thought of Anderson making 170 and not fighting for the championship... Why the hell make it at 170 then?! 170 is a weight class and the champion of that weight class is fighting against another world champion! WTF?!

Silvas not making 170

i think 177 is fair, meet in the middle.

btw F.. U.. UG Blog.

Let's say Silva comes down to 170 and beats GSP FOR the belt, but is unable to defend it for whatever reason, then the contenders left, including GSP, scrap it out for it. At that point you see that there is still depth at 170.

As far as legacy goes, GSP beating Silva at 170 clinches the idea that he's the greatest ever at 170 imo. I don't fully understand this legacy bs and why Dana gives a shit about it. The only ones interested, or that SHOULD be interested in legacy, is Silva and GSP. Dana sees dollar signs, and there's no problem with that. Just don't sugar coat it with "it's about legacy" talk. C'mon.

ortman166 - If Anderson has to cut to 170 he should get George's belt Phone Post

Agreed. If it is At 170 he gets the belt. He can give it up right after. Phone Post

This thread has TMZ written all over it. VTFD!

Just seems to me like GSP has everything to lose in this fight and Silva has nothing to gain. GSP loses, which he likely would, he takes a publicity hit and could potentially lose sponsorship money. If Silva wins it really gains him nothing as people already see him as the GOAT and he gets a win against a smaller fighter who, very few, thought ever had a chance to beat him. Silva vs Jones would be a compelling matchup as Anderson has wins at the weight, including one over a former champion, and i am not sure who the favorite would be but i would give the edge to Silva personally. Of course Silva shouldn't be expected to take a fight against Jones or be bullied into it just as GSP shouldn't be forced to take a fight against Silva. I think as it is that there are some very marketable fights for both GSP and Anderson in their own weight classes.

Winston Wolf - 
AK-BJJ - Good grief this thread is frustrating...

Fake fucking thread title.

People saying Anderson is picking on a smaller guy... That argument goes out the window if he makes 170.

The actual thought of Anderson making 170 and not fighting for the championship... Why the hell make it at 170 then?! 170 is a weight class and the champion of that weight class is fighting against another world champion! WTF?!

Silvas not making 170

That's fine... I'm just going with the topic as if he can.

If he can't that's just something else annoying... why talk about something that isn't even fucking possible?

Now that Firas flip flopped and is calling for 170 Anderson and Co. should just say 175 or something. They can make it 5 rounds and not for the title. No sense in having the belt on the line. Phone Post

I love everyone crying about Silva defending more than once a year. There is only ONE year out of seven where he hasn't fought at least twice. He averages over 2 fights per year in the ufc. Phone Post

Misleading gay title Phone Post

At 170 it has to be for the belt.

This will be an excellent fight at 170, I look forward to seeing it.

easedel - We don't want this shit or any other superfight.

Who is "we"? The little voices in your head?

You can't have a super fight in a sport where the weight classes are as far apart as they are.

Yes, of course. Because people don't fluctuate in weight and fights are never fought at catch weights. Of course.

This seems like nothing but Dana finding a way to get Silva his big payday while keeping his "legacy" intact.
I got some superfights for you...Silva defends more then once a year at 185.

In case you missed it....

Silva has averaged more than two fights per year for the better part of a decade.

What about gsp v Diaz at catch weight and then gsp silva end of 2013 allowing georges to go up to MW right. Would have to vacate his belt never to return to WW. Phone Post

177lbs or not at all. 170 / 185 is unreasonable to each fighter respectively. Phone Post

Here's the deal gentlemen...

If GSP wants P4P status.. he has to fight outside the comfort of WW. He needs to venture beyond the advantage of cutting 20lbs of water and coming into his fights bigger than all of his opponents.

Anderson has fought and beaten champions and former champions in three weight divisions... from welterweight to light heavyweight. Jones is going to be moving from lightheavy to heavyweight after his TUF fight with Sonnen. BJ Penn has fought from lightweight to welterweight, middleweight and even Lyoto Machida at HEAVYWEIGHT. That's why those guys are the real pound-for-pound champs. Until GSP shows some ability with bigger guys, he will not be a legit P4P champ. He will remain a WW goat only.

Does anyone believe Andy gives a shit about the ww belt? This fight will make him the bank he's after No matter what the weight ends up being. Why is only interested in a fight with bisping at mw and not with weidman or any other contenders? Bisping fight will sell, meaning bigger ppv cut. Gsp/Andy will make them unheard of bank. Even if it's at 170 without the belt. Phone Post

Jacinto - Just seems to me like GSP has everything to lose in this fight and Silva has nothing to gain. GSP loses, which he likely would, he takes a publicity hit and could potentially lose sponsorship money. If Silva wins it really gains him nothing as people already see him as the GOAT and he gets a win against a smaller fighter who, very few, thought ever had a chance to beat him. Silva vs Jones would be a compelling matchup as Anderson has wins at the weight, including one over a former champion, and i am not sure who the favorite would be but i would give the edge to Silva personally. Of course Silva shouldn't be expected to take a fight against Jones or be bullied into it just as GSP shouldn't be forced to take a fight against Silva. I think as it is that there are some very marketable fights for both GSP and Anderson in their own weight classes.

I disagree.

GSP has nothing to lose. If he loses he loses to the GOAT and a much bigger man. Hell, if he wins even one or two rounds his stock would go up. If Silva loses (very unlikely) his stock would tank and even if he wins everyone would have expected him to anyway. Phone Post