DFW: GSP vs. Silva at 170, belt not on line

fuck off, if it's not for the belt.

Bucephalus - Here's the deal gentlemen...

If GSP wants P4P status.. he has to fight outside the comfort of WW. He needs to venture beyond the advantage of cutting 20lbs of water and coming into his fights bigger than all of his opponents.

Anderson has fought and beaten champions and former champions in three weight divisions... from welterweight to light heavyweight. Jones is going to be moving from lightheavy to heavyweight after his TUF fight with Sonnen. BJ Penn has fought from lightweight to welterweight, middleweight and even Lyoto Machida at HEAVYWEIGHT. That's why those guys are the real pound-for-pound champs. Until GSP shows some ability with bigger guys, he will not be a legit P4P champ. He will remain a WW goat only.

I completely disagree with GSP being bigger than all of his opponents, that is just a retarded statement.

Did Condit looked tiny compared to GSP?

Regardless, P4P is meaningless drivel. As for GOAT, here today (e.g. Fedor) gone tomorrow.

Having a UFC belt and being such a dominate champion = $$$$$$$$.

Jacinto - Just seems to me like GSP has everything to lose in this fight and Silva has nothing to gain. GSP loses, which he likely would, he takes a publicity hit and could potentially lose sponsorship money. If Silva wins it really gains him nothing as people already see him as the GOAT and he gets a win against a smaller fighter who, very few, thought ever had a chance to beat him. Silva vs Jones would be a compelling matchup as Anderson has wins at the weight, including one over a former champion, and i am not sure who the favorite would be but i would give the edge to Silva personally. Of course Silva shouldn't be expected to take a fight against Jones or be bullied into it just as GSP shouldn't be forced to take a fight against Silva. I think as it is that there are some very marketable fights for both GSP and Anderson in their own weight classes.

yes sir........

If the Underground Blog wants to be taken seriously, they really need to start acting like fucking professionals and quit it with these intentionally misleading titles. I really hope it bites them in the ass soon

I do not understand why the UFC panders to GSP so much. He has fought once in the last 18 months. There are guys like Nick Diaz, Hendricks, Kampmen, Fitch, an in shape BJ, Rory, etc that have worked their way up in the division. A division that was once cleared out by GSP has again become pretty stacked. Now they would tell Anderson Silva he has to drop to 170 to fight GSP? A catch weight is the only thing that makes sense. Especially due to the fact neither will win or lose a belt.

SJBenoist - So, quick question:

If it comes down to a non-title 170 lbs match Vs. GSP, or a 185 lbs title defense against Weidman, what would you prefer to see?

GSP vs Silva. The window of opportunity for this match to mean anything to the fans won't be open forever.

Cindy