DFW: If Nunes retires, WFTW prob goes with her

UFC women's bantamweight and featherweight champion Amanda Nunes recently mulled over retiring, citing the pending birth of her child, and the lack of challengers. During today's UFC on ESPN 11 pre-fight media scrum, UFC president Dana White asked if the women's featherweight division would continue if "The Lioness" retires now.

“Probably not,” replied White, as transcribed by Alexander K. Lee for MMA Fighting. “I literally just told the guys the other day to build that division. Start signing girls, let’s start building that division, and now my girl’s talking about retirement, so apparently we gotta get on the same page and figure this out.”

“[Nunes] can do whatever she wants to do. She’s the queen. She can do whatever she wants. She’s having a baby, she’s got all these great things going on in her life right now personally and professionally she’s done anything that I’ve ever asked her to do. To go from Ronda Rousey to her, it’s actually been a joy working with the women in that division. I haven’t always seen eye-to-eye with Holly Holm’s people, but Holly Holm is one of the nicest human beings on planet earth. Dealing with that division has been awesome.”

“I hope she doesn’t [retire]. She’s one of my favorite people ever and coming off of the performance that she just put on, I think that the beautiful thing was she came out of the de Randamie fight and everyone was like, ‘She looked human,’ this, that, all the critics were all over her. She fought arguably the best female striker of all-time, beat her, and she looked human in that fight.

“Then she came out and put a statement on her last performance. She looked incredible and put on an absolute clinic against one of the toughest women that I’ve ever seen in my life. After a performance like that, I would hate to think that she would want to retire, but if that’s true, and that’s where she’s at right now, then she probably should.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg-eQtm1z6M

Good!!!

2 Likes

I’m actually happy. I’d much rather see the 125 lb men than the 145 lb women. 

6 Likes

I've officially boarded Amanda's retirement train. 

choo choo

Or chew, chew to all the 135ers moving up.

1 Like

Dont kno y ppl wanna c her retire, she's a beast, I wanna c her fight more, but that's me

1 Like

I'd enjoy an open weight women's 145+, a middleweight of 135, and then condense everybody else into a lightweight.

This would open up more actual large females to compete while condensing the weight They are all paper thin.

Please retire....then retire WMMA.

7 Likes

Less women fights on main cards.    I'm all for it. 

3 Likes
failure at life -

Hmmmm....I never thought I would say this but I'd rather see the women fight instead of those guys.

Is this a technique BLAF is perfecting like a drill SGT.?

"Do what I want or your whole platoon has to do pushups"

But in this case they lose their jobs.

I remember the same thing being done with Cejudo.

Amanda is 10 above everyone else in that division. Cyborg is already gone, if Amanda goes, there is not much more left. Unless they sign Kayla...

Just sign Gabi Garcia and make it happen.

JoeHurley -
failure at life -

Hmmmm....I never thought I would say this but I'd rather see the women fight instead of those guys.

Cejudo proved how gifted those guys are. If you are looking for conditioning, speed and technique is truly world >

Less WMMA! Please retire!

4 Likes

I wish her a speedy retirement!

Godspeed!

1 Like

Megan Anderson is hot AF, throw her a can and put a belt on her. Don’t let her fight anyone even semi-legitimate. 

ScreenName22 -

She's an absolute bore to watch. Give me a JJ, Valentina, Rose fight. Those are the queens. Nunes is just a feminine boy.

What? She gave you a amazing show when she KOd Cyborg.

I was a fan of watching Ronda fight until she got stopped. She was brash, it was new, she could legit beat 95%+ regular men her size. I wanted to see her lose and she lost and that all kind of went away. 

When Ronda lost WMMA died. She was an anomaly that came around at the perfect time. 

Since she lost WMMA just doesn’t do it for me. Maybe I’m a mysogonistic pig but I’m just not interested in any WMMA fights. 

triforce - 

I was a fan of watching Ronda fight until she got stopped. She was brash, it was new, she could legit beat 95%+ regular men her size. I wanted to see her lose and she lost and that all kind of went away. 

When Ronda lost WMMA died. She was an anomaly that came around at the perfect time. 

Since she lost WMMA just doesn’t do it for me. Maybe I’m a mysogonistic pig but I’m just not interested in any WMMA fights. 

This.