DFW:"Machida Wanted 'Anderson Silva' Money"

Graceful Kauto - Lol at all this.

Lyoto asked for an increased sum of money for this fight, which just happened to amount closely to the sum Anderson gets paid.

Dana didn't want to give the actual figure, so he said they asked for Anderson money.

Instead of giving x amount of dollars and saying it was too much, he said it was P4P King amount of dollars and it was too much.

Simples.

So you idiots saying that Dana is a hypocrite because he doesn't want us to know what fighters get paid are exactly that - idiots. We still don't know.

And could Lyoto make 185? Sure. Could Anderson fight at 205? Sure? But so what. At Blackhouse there are strict rules. You have a weightclass you aim to be champ in and you stick to it. You do not go after the title in a teammates weightclass. Do I agree with it? No, i think its bullshit. But thats the way it is. So people arguing Lyoto deserves Anderson money can keep quiet. Bottom line is both chose their division and while one rules his the other is a one time champ who is 2-2 in his last 4 fights and could actually be 1-3. The one was against a near 50 year old man who was a perfect style match up for him.

The problem with part of your reasoning though, is that you act as if Dana pays folks strictly according to in cage accomplishments. He does not. Like I said if Dana gave him a line like that, he should have just asked for Brock money, since pay was related to fighting results/accomplishments.

As for Machida and his record, other than getting KTFO'd his fights have been competive, and he really was close with rampage (another guy he could have said, hey can I get some RAMPAGE money?)

MonsterBalls - 
Brian Rule - This is fucking stupid. Lyoto would never say that. This is just Dana putting words into his mouth and the simple MMA media running with it.

Do you think Ed Soares could have floated that idea ?
Of course. It sounds like a mangerial idea.

And there's nothing wrong wit asking for more money for a short notice fight.

UFC is notoriously unappreciative of shrt notice fighters. If they lose, they get cut.

chawkins - Tito gets Anderson Silva money because he draws. Machida, not so much. But you can't blame a guy for asking.
But you can blame a guy for agreeing to a match and then asking for it after that.

The reported salary for Anderson Silva at UFC 126 was $200,000 (no win bonus) and the reported salary for Lyoto Machida at UFC 129 was $200,000 (no win bonus). What exactly is Machida asking for?

Also, even if Dana did pay Machida more money, wouldn't it still be cheaper than paying Tito $450,000 again?

I'm not hating on the match-up, just curious about Dana's statements regarding Machida?

Jack_Bauer - The reported salary for Anderson Silva at UFC 126 was $200,000 (no win bonus) and the reported salary for Lyoto Machida at UFC 129 was $200,000 (no win bonus). What exactly is Machida asking for?

Also, even if Dana did pay Machida more money, wouldn't it still be cheaper than paying Tito $450,000 again?

I'm not hating on the match-up, just curious about Dana's statements regarding Machida?

Seems obviuous he was asking for a PPV cut, and considering it was down to him to save any chance of there being any PPV money, seems justified to me.

What's the big deal here?

Machida's camp wanted more money to reflect the added risk of taking the fight on short notice.

Zuffa & DFW probably was willing to help out, just not as much as Machida's camp wanted...so the deal didn't get done.

UFC finds somebody else willing to take the fight for what they were willing to pay.

And Dana in his usual brusque manner, just laid that out in as simple terms as he could manage while still being vague about the money involved (since naming numbers would have not been cool, and also is disadvantageous towards ALL their future contract negotiations with any other fighter).

So what exactly is the problem that has the sewing circle so riled up?

I'm not seeing it...

Meohfumado - What's the big deal here?

Machida's camp wanted more money to reflect the added risk of taking the fight on short notice.

Zuffa & DFW probably was willing to help out, just not as much as Machida's camp wanted...so the deal didn't get done.

UFC finds somebody else willing to take the fight for what they were willing to pay.

And Dana in his usual brusque manner, just laid that out in as simple terms as he could manage while still being vague about the money involved (since naming numbers would have not been cool, and also is disadvantageous towards ALL their future contract negotiations with any other fighter).

I'm not seeing it...

Thankyou Phone Post

Meohfumado - What's the big deal here?

I'm not seeing it...

This is exactly what i came to post.

He's just came of a highlight reel knockout of one of the biggest names in the sport, is taking a dangerous fight against someone he already KTFO, wouldn't everyone here ask for an increase in pay to compensate for the risk?

They have the same management and trainers, sooner or later Machida was going to ask for a figure closer to that of his peer, i know i would in my job and i'm sure most of you would.

Dana said no and they went about there day, no need to rub a high level employee's face in it.

Classy!

Proteus The Invincible - In my opinion Anderson would have a lot of trouble accomplishing what Machida has at light heavyweight, but Machida could do what Anderson has done at middleweight.

What a load of shit. Other than Rashad and his "win" over Shogun, Machida has only beaten Nakamura, Sokoudjou, Hoger, Heath, Thiago (decent win) a broken down Ortiz and an ancient Couture. Yous seriously don't think Anderson could beat those guys?

Glad to see others are calling Dana bush league for outing negotiations.

Bush league bald mothafucka.

I'm a fan of both Machida and Anderson but come on, you have to actually accomplish something first. The Lyoto apologists who suggest he could do what Anderson did at MW are on the same plane as the "a Motivated BJ could beat everyone at WW therefore he's p4p #1" types.

The UFC loves putting people in the positon of taking short notice fights or fighting against teammates, but they won't pay up?

I wonder what the actual numbers are.  For instance, how much more money did the Machida camp want than what they are currently making.  If he asked for double his normal purse, than I can understand Dana's take on it.  If he wanted like a 10% increase or something like that, then perhaps its a little out of bounds.

I think Dana's reaction is less about the financial request and more about the nature of the negotiations.  According to Dana, Lyoto took the fight (without mentioning the money issue) and allowed that fact to be announced to the media -- THEN brought up new demands, putting Zuffa in an awkward position.  Do they look foolish by rescinding the announcement or or submit quietly and allow a fighter to hold them up in the 11th hour? One could argue they employed a clever negotiating tactic, just as easily as one could say its an unethical power move to close a deal.

I don't blame Lyoto one bit for wanting to be compensated fairly for saving the UFC's ass.  But did he go about requesting that money the right way?  Remember, this is a business where oral agreements are reached all the time before contracts are executed.  Did Lyoto's people abuse that trust?  We'll never know.

White's shit talking on his fighters whenever they don't jump on his command is obnoxious.

Poindexter -  White's shit talking on his fighters whenever they don't jump on his command is obnoxious.

MonsterBalls
2 hours ago
Brian Rule - This is fucking stupid. Lyoto would never say that. This is just Dana putting words into his mouth and the simple MMA media running with it.

Do you think Ed Soares could have floated that idea ?

Bingoooo Phone Post

Poindexter -  White's shit talking on his fighters whenever they don't jump on his command is obnoxious.

catbath - I think Dana's reaction is less about the financial request and more about the nature of the negotiations.  According to Dana, Lyoto took the fight (without mentioning the money issue) and allowed that fact to be announced to the media -- THEN brought up new demands, putting Zuffa in an awkward position.  Do they look foolish by rescinding the announcement or or submit quietly and allow a fighter to hold them up in the 11th hour? One could argue they employed a clever negotiating tactic, just as easily as one could say its an unethical power move to close a deal.

I don't blame Lyoto one bit for wanting to be compensated fairly for saving the UFC's ass.  But did he go about requesting that money the right way?  Remember, this is a business where oral agreements are reached all the time before contracts are executed.  Did Lyoto's people abuse that trust?  We'll never know.

BINGO.

Somewhat on the same topic, how much do you think Davis was going to get paid for this fight? I'm sure Machida's average paycheck compared to his is astronomical to say the least.

Graceful Kauto - Lol at all this.

Lyoto asked for an increased sum of money for this fight, which just happened to amount closely to the sum Anderson gets paid.

Dana didn't want to give the actual figure, so he said they asked for Anderson money.

Instead of giving x amount of dollars and saying it was too much, he said it was P4P King amount of dollars and it was too much.

Simples.

So you idiots saying that Dana is a hypocrite because he doesn't want us to know what fighters get paid are exactly that - idiots. We still don't know.

And could Lyoto make 185? Sure. Could Anderson fight at 205? Sure? But so what. At Blackhouse there are strict rules. You have a weightclass you aim to be champ in and you stick to it. You do not go after the title in a teammates weightclass. Do I agree with it? No, i think its bullshit. But thats the way it is. So people arguing Lyoto deserves Anderson money can keep quiet. Bottom line is both chose their division and while one rules his the other is a one time champ who is 2-2 in his last 4 fights and could actually be 1-3. The one was against a near 50 year old man who was a perfect style match up for him.

Dana says that he doesn't give out details about fighters pay because the fighters don't want him to and it's none of our business.

When it suits him, he gives out details of pay negotiations.

You're either an idiot or a shill. Neither one is a good thing.

I'll help everyone out:

"We talked with Machida about it but it looked like he wouldn't be ready for in time for the fight"

That's an answer that avoids talking about money at all.