DFW responds to McGregor 'MMA Retirement'

A number of top fighters in the UFC are holding out for higher pay, including the #1 PPV draw Conor McGregor, who tweeted during Saturday's UFC 250 that he was probably retired. Jorge Masvidal has asked to be released. Jon Jones expressed similar sentiments. At the UFC 250 post-fight press conference, UFC president Dana White responded.

“So I’ll remind everyone that we’re in a pandemic,” said White. “The world is a crazy place right now with everything going on, and I think everyone feels this right now. There are no fans, can’t travel the fights around. I think everybody is pissed off, confused, locked up in their houses for three and a half months. There’s protests, there’s riots. The list goes on and on. And if you don’t think that what I’m doing right now is probably the hardest thing I’ve ever done? And if you don’t think that three times a day I throw my f***ing hands up and I’m ready to say you know what, f*** this s***? Believe me.”

“And the amount of people I have gunning at me right now is insane. But here we are, this is our fifth fight, we pulled off our fifth fight. No other sports are going right now but us. And one of the beautiful things about this sport is: you don’t have to fight. This isn’t the NBA or NFL where you better be at practice, you better show up and do this, do that. You don’t have to do anything here. And if these guys want to sit out or retire right now or anyone feels uncomfortable in any shape or form with what’s going on, you don’t have to fight. It’s all good.”

“So if that’s what Conor’s feeling right now, Jon Jones, Jorge Masvidal? I feel you. It’s not like I’m going ‘Holy s*** this is crazy, this is nuts!’ Nothing is crazy and nuts right now because everything is crazy and nuts right now. So on a certain level I understand and I get it.”

“I hate to be Mr. Negative, but the worst is still yet to come. The worst is still yet to come. You’re going to see a lot more people in this country getting laid off. If you look at the financial situation, being off for three and a half months. And you look at the stock market and you’re like ... how the f*** does that make sense? Right? There’s going to be a huge domino effect. It’s going to start with layoffs, bankruptcies, it’s going to hit the real estate and God knows what else. And this Covid s***, who the hell knows what’s going to go on with that thing.”

“You see those commercials - ‘These are uncertain times’ ... yeah, you think? Who knows, man. I’m just digging in, I haven’t laid off any of my people, I’m trying to take care of all my people, including my fighters. Keep them working, and doing everything in my power to do what I can do. And you guys have known me for a long time. Anyone that doesn’t want to roll with me? Get the f*** off the bus. Get out of here. See you later. Do whatever you want to do. No one is making anyone do anything.”

“The priority is the guys who want to fight. They’re the priorities. So the guys who want to fight, we’ll keep them fighting. There are more eyeballs on these kids right now than ever in the history of the business, ever. We are at an all-time peaking high with numbers with people watching right now. And you guys have to feel it with the traffic.

“We’re at an all-time high, so these kids that want to fight, I’ll make them money and I’ll keep them busy.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tSBgD7JRYw&feature=emb_title

h/t  Ryan HarknessMMA Mania

1 Like

Great response. Perfect even.

11 Likes

1 Like
Sprawl'n'Stall - Great response. Perfect even.

Let Jorge go fight for chump change in a different organization and then let him crawl back begging for his old contract. 

1 Like

I mean Dana is right, this isn't the best time to be asking for a pay raise. I'm not even sure UFC is making profits anymore. I'm also impressed by how "wise" Dana is. He is so right about future layoff and the market being completly off.

Kimbos Lice -

Let Jorge go fight for chump change in a different organization and then let him crawl back begging for his old contract. 

I mean... what other organization? UFC is like one of the only organization that is still managing to run SPORTS lol

Dana is seething with frustration right now

https://twitter.com/jedigoodman/status/1269508736164347905

I don't know about "media" specifically getting laid off, but he is right tons of people will lose their jobs. Next winter will be horrible, horrible.

Btw interesting quote from interview by Dana:

"Its a whacky time to be the first guy putting on live sport when a lot of fucking people who are nutty as hell didn't want it to".

Not hard to believe lol

floofy - 

I don't know about "media" specifically getting laid off, but he is right tons of people will lose their jobs. Next winter will be horrible, horrible.

If you follow a bunch of MMA journalists on Twitter, a good handful have been laid off within the last 2-3 weeks already.

Sprawl'n'Stall - Great response. Perfect even.

Agreed.

Kimbos Lice - 

Haha exactly, Jorge thinks he is more valuable than he really is… He signed a contract for a specific amount and now he wants double that to fight Usman… If I was UFC I’d let him go and let him try to go to bellator… Let’s see how mich Masvidal makes and draws in bellator lol

1 Like
Nytron - 

I mean, do you blame Dana for being frustrated?! Dana has busted his bald ass to get ufc fights up and running again and after he does, fighters start demanding more than their contract states! Id be pussed if I were Dana too!

Dana is right, people are losing their jobs left and right yet UFC guys want more money…like he said, you either want to fight and make money or you don’t…

1 Like

DW nailed it.

ons ear -
Nytron - 

I mean, do you blame Dana for being frustrated?! Dana has busted his bald ass to get ufc fights up and running again and after he does, fighters start demanding more than their contract states! Id be pussed if I were Dana too!

Dana is right, people are losing their jobs left and right yet UFC guys want more money…like he said, you either want to fight and make money or you don’t…

How do you know what the fighters are demanding? Maybe it is the UFC that is wanting to renegotiate and saying they need to due to circumstances. 

floofy - 

The Athletic just laid off MMA writers Josh Gross, Chuck Mindenhall, Chad Dundas, and editor Dann Stupp.

1 Like