DFW: UFC preparing for potential 2nd shutdown

In the eyes of many, the COVID-19 pandemic is largely over. And while on a national basis laboratory-confirmed cases are down substantially from the peak in early April, they are rising over the past 14 days in 20 states. And while President Donald Trump has said he doesn't anticipate another national shutdown, the situation remains in flux on a state by state basis and could potentially worsen.

UFC president Dana White drove the league to become the first major sport to return to live broadcasts, and at the UFC on ESPN 11 pre-fight media scrum, said plans are underway to deal with another potential widespread shutdown nationally.

“I told you guys going into this thing I’m always thinking about what’s next,” said White. “And one of the frustrating parts about this whole thing is, I keep telling this story, I was telling it again this morning: Four months ago, I could have told you everything about this business, where’s it’s going, where it’s going to happen. I don’t know now. So all I do is sit around and strategize and try to plan. And I’m planning for a second shutdown, that it will happen again.”

“I’m always thinking about the worst, what’s the worst thing that can – when you hear [fighters] talking about when they train, they put themselves in the worst positions they can possibly be in, that’s how I look at this business, too. What’s the worst position we can possibly be in? And my number one goal is always I don’t want to lay off any of my employees, and I don’t want fighters sitting inactive and not being able to compete.

“When you’re a professional athlete, you have a very small window of opportunity, a very limited amount of time. You know, we get into all the money s*** and stuff that’s going on right now. Everybody acts like this is a career. This isn’t a career. This is not a career. This is an opportunity. Anything can happen at any given moment. Your knee could pull out. Your back. Your this, your that. COVID-19, who the hell knows what is coming down the pipeline?”

https://youtu.be/ZkfSA_MNNbM?t=267

h/t Dave Doyle and Ken Hathaway for MMA Junkie

The fights talking about pay have really gotten in his head this time. 

WuTangDan -

The fights talking about pay have really gotten in his head this time. 

As a promoter, he's got to stay the course.   I'm not defending him, but if caves to Masvidal or Jones on their demands, the floodgate will open.

Then he'll have to do it for and Costa.  Then DC and Stipe.  Then for the #1 contender fight.  Then for the Fight Night main event.  Then for the Fight Night prelim main event.  Then for the prelims opening fight.  Etc.  Etc.

It's a delicate balancing act. 

1 Like

Be a man of your word. You signed a contract. Honor it. Noone forced them to sign. It's so basic

1 Like
BAGZbp -

Be a man of your word. You signed a contract. Honor it. Noone forced them to sign. It's so basic

Yeah, we all know the "you signed the contract" line, but when did it become so terrible to ask for a raise in pay? Does anybody at your job say "you were paid X dollars an hour when we hired you so honor the at agreement and quit asking for more money" I agree with you that people should keep their word, but people should also understand that the fight game is not a traditional job situation and this is all a part of how they do business.

The “it’s an opportunity, not a career” angle is dog shit.

Red Stuff - The "it's an opportunity, not a career" angle is dog shit.

I kinda thought it was good advice lol

2 Likes
mikethecricket -

It's the nature of the beast.  MMA eats it's own and the UFC isn't a place where most people should expect to hang around and collect paychecks just out of Dana's benevolence.   It happens sometimes, but typically its reserved for HOF or past champs like BJ Penn or sometimes, just people Dana likes.  It's a dictatorship, not a utopia.

If you're dead set on doing the MMA or UFC thing, save your money, and plan for every training session or fight to be your last.

BAGZbp -

No, actually it's not so basic.

1 Like
JoeHurley -
BAGZbp -

Yeah, we all know the "you signed the contract" line, but when did it become so terrible to ask for a raise in pay? Does anybody at your job say "you were paid X dollars an hour when we hired you so honor the at agreement and quit asking for more money" I agree with you that people should keep their word, but people should also understand that the fight game is not a traditional job situation and this is all a part of how they do business.

I would agree with this, but when does it become inappropriate?

Is it acceptable to ask for a raise 3 times a year? Is it appropriate to continue to ask for one when the boss is bleeding hundreds of millions?

I honestly don't have an issue with guys like Mas or Jones sitting out until the situation plays out, but don't bitch and moan at those who take the opportunity 

JoeHurley -
BAGZbp -

That's not the greatest rebuttal. I sign a mutiyear contract at work. The only time you can negotiate anything is when that contract expires and it's time to renegotiate another one.

The problem is the contracts these fighters are signing, more particularly the term of the contract. You are absolutely right that fighting is not a traditional job situation so long contacts should not be the norm. Fighters should be signing something like 3 fight/2 year contracts. That seems like a reasonable length considering the uncertainty of the fight game and allows the fighter to renegotiate at the end of 3 fights or 2 years, whichever comes first. I don't like the fact that fighters are signing long 8 fight contracts and they could get cut after 1 or 2 "bad" fights but again that was a term they agreed to in the contract they signed.

I'm not trying to swing from the company's nuts here because I'm actually very much in favor of the fighters getting paid more. A lot more. I just think it needs to be done right. 

Second shutdown is strictly a marxist led narrative.

1 Like
WaltJ - 
mikethecricket -

It's the nature of the beast.  MMA eats it's own and the UFC isn't a place where most people should expect to hang around and collect paychecks just out of Dana's benevolence.   It happens sometimes, but typically its reserved for HOF or past champs like BJ Penn or sometimes, just people Dana likes.  It's a dictatorship, not a utopia.

If you're dead set on doing the MMA or UFC thing, save your money, and plan for every training session or fight to be your last.

I agree.

But in the context of the fair pay discussion the not-a-career point is slimy misdirection.

I don’t hear (read about) many fighters looking for a career. Who says that? Maybe they do and I don’t happen upon it.