Did Faber underperform? or is Cruz just that good?

I doubt Garbrandt beats Cruz. He'll be in the same boat Faber was in... Looking to stand and bang - land a heavy shot, while Cruz is moving. I think Faber actually performs better against Cruz than Garbrandt will.

KING Stannis Baratheon - Best version of Dom so far. Phone Post 3.0
Can't argue with that! He looked sharp and tried to finish Phone Post 3.0

Dom's neo style is a little like Royce vs. a guy with one boxing glove.

Why don't people kick Dom's legs? Phone Post 3.0

john thornton - I doubt Garbrandt beats Cruz. He'll be in the same boat Faber was in... Looking to stand and bang - land a heavy shot, while Cruz is moving. I think Faber actually performs better against Cruz than Garbrandt will.
At this point in their careers I would say Uriah probably still kicks Garbrandts butt in the gym. Other TAM members said Faber used to school Dillashaw, so Faber is not that old, just like he says he feels 27 because of his diet and nutrition and most importantly "God gifted" genetics. Phone Post 3.0

SkinnyJeanGenie - I thought Cruz looked great, he seemed to let go more and pushed the fight a lot more than I've seen him in the past Phone Post 3.0
I thought Cruz pushed the pace harder in their 2nd fight... However, Faber was able to land those big punches and drop Cruz a few times... This fight seemed like Faber just didn't try, but knowing Faber he definitely was trying, Dom is good. Phone Post 3.0

NukSooCow - Why don't people kick Dom's legs? Phone Post 3.0

Because his phase-shifting is so quick and smooth that you're almost guaranteed to get taken down doing that, even if you land a leg kick.

With all of Dom's knee issues you would think that Jon Jones style oblique kicks would be super effective on him Phone Post 3.0

Faber performed like he always does. Cruz is just better than he usually preforms against. Phone Post 3.0

Malvert the Janitor - He's 37.

Cruz is 31.

That six years makes a hell of a difference. When Faber beat Cruz he was entering his prime and Cruz was a young neophyte. Today, Cruz is entering his prime and Faber is in the twilight of his career - frankly, one's skills have improved and the other's have diminished.

That's not disrespect. That's Father Time. Phone Post 3.0
Nailed it. VU Phone Post 3.0

Global Shield -
john thornton - I doubt Garbrandt beats Cruz. He'll be in the same boat Faber was in... Looking to stand and bang - land a heavy shot, while Cruz is moving. I think Faber actually performs better against Cruz than Garbrandt will.
At this point in their careers I would say Uriah probably still kicks Garbrandts butt in the gym. Other TAM members said Faber used to school Dillashaw, so Faber is not that old, just like he says he feels 27 because of his diet and nutrition and most importantly "God gifted" genetics. Phone Post 3.0
37 is old for 135lbs. The smaller the guy, the shorter the prime. Phone Post 3.0

Global Shield - 

I wouldn't be surprised either way with them training together. Just because Urijah doesn't beat Cruz= Urijah sucking.

john thornton -
Global Shield - 

I wouldn't be surprised either way with them training together. Just because Urijah doesn't beat Cruz= Urijah sucking.
I feel Urijah is still number 2 he just can't beat Dom. I've always respected him as a fighter and I don't think his age had much to do with this loss to be honest. Phone Post 3.0

Dom is the best point fighter in Mma history , Faber did great in the first making it a fight and looked competitive but the next 20min he wasn't able to stop dom making it a points contest and the margin in that skill set was too great

Would love to see Faber v tj or barao next Phone Post 3.0

Oontyex - Dom is the best point fighter in Mma history , Faber did great in the first making it a fight and looked competitive but the next 20min he wasn't able to stop dom making it a points contest and the margin in that skill set was too great

Would love to see Faber v tj or barao next Phone Post 3.0
Faber vs TJ = the fight! Phone Post 3.0

eXtv -

Because his phase-shifting is so quick and smooth that you're almost guaranteed to get taken down doing that, even if you land a leg kick.

Maybe, but Faber didn't switch anything up at all. I was surprised that after seeing TJ land some good legkicks on Cruz, Faber didn't at least attempt part of that strategy. Phone Post 3.0

I don't think Faber has ever underperformed in a UFC title fight. I think he's a fantastic fighter who is better than everyone except TJ, Barao (in peak form), and Cruz.

IMO, this version of Faber looked stronger, faster, and more game than the one who fought Rivera.

As Malvert the Janitor said, he's older than Dom. And he's not as good (even though he's great).

Cruz is just a bad matchup for Faber. Cruz's footwork is just too much, it's like racing a McClaren P1 vs. Faber's 1969 Ford Mustang.

It's gonna take someone with elite footwork and/or some reach+power to put away Cruz. Aldo, Garbrandt, Edgar, McGregor, and even DJ 2.0 would be interesting tests for Cruz.

Global Shield - 
john thornton -
Global Shield - 

I feel Urijah is still number 2 he just can't beat Dom. I've always respected him as a fighter and I don't think his age had much to do with this loss to be honest. Phone Post 3.0

I agree. BTW, I meant people act like since Urijah doesn't best Cruz he sucks. I would say anyone besides Cruz would have their hands full. I don't see Garbrandt beating Cruz unless he some how catches Cruz off guard, which is unlikely.