Did Ruas really fight Rickson?

I just found this in the Marco Ruas bio on Wikipedia.

"Fought Rickson Gracie, under Vale Tudo rules, in a gym at Rio de Janeiro. The fight, witnessed by several Luta Livre and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu students, ended in a draw."

Anyone know if this is true? If so, do you have anymore details.

I've been following this sport for over 12 years and this is the first time I've heard about this.

I remember Marco Ruas challenged Rickson to a fight in PRIDE that never materialized.

It DID NOT EVER happen. Rickson went there, and Ruas wanted time to train, Rickson said no, so it never happened.

Never happned. I don't even know if the story in the second post is true. According to people from Ruas' camp back in the day, that is not even true. Nothing ever happened between them.

Jeff Blatnick said it on UFC 7, that is when it became a story. It was shot down pretty quickly from people on both sides.

Perhaps Rickson would win prior to Ruas training subs, but both in there primes, Ruas would whup Rickson souundly.

-Ruas is too big. 210 vs. 185 I believe.
-Ruas has much much better stand up!
-Ruas might not win on the ground, but he would not lose.
-Ruas could keep the fight standing and get a KO.

Ruas was wayyyy bigger than 210.

Everyone gets the Ruas/Pinduca fight that's on GIA confused.

I'm confused why they'd put that fight on there.

Max

Lets review....how does Wikipedia work again?

Samoa.

If you guys are correct that this never happened somebody needs to edit that Wikipedia entry.

"Ruas was wayyyy bigger than 210."

I'm pretty sure that Rickson had bulked up to like 198 lbs. for his last few fights.

Correct, Ruas fought a Gracie rep, Pinduka. If he won, he was to fight Rickson.

"Correct, Ruas fought a Gracie rep, Pinduka. If he won, he was to fight Rickson."

I've got the Gracie Jiu Jitsu In Action videos but I haven't watched them in a few years. What happened in the Ruas fight?

It was a draw.

Mike F has mellowed with age. I asked this question nearly 10 years ago on the Combat List and he tore me a new one :)

Keegan -- It sucks to be grown up. Is there any form of the Combat List left anymore?

Hey, the Combat List.........good question IS it still around?  Elvis?

Samoa.

If you guys are correct that this never happened somebody needs to edit that Wikipedia entry.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly the reason Wikipedia is a completely unreliable source of info.

Samoa.

In their primes, under true vale tudo rules, Rickson 10 out of 10 times. He was lightyears ahead of Ruas on the ground, and with no gloves, no standups, maybe even no rounds?

People have forgotten what Vale Tudo was. It wasn't just headbutts and broken hands.

"I've got the Gracie Jiu Jitsu In Action videos but I haven't watched them in a few years. What happened in the Ruas fight?"

Ruas lands about ten punches.

The Gracie guy take Ruas down and Ruas gets guard starts feeding him a bunch of elbows. Rorion says on the tape when the time was over they had to pull the fighters apart like pitbull dogs. Im not sure why they put that fight on the tape either, it stood out like a sore thumb from the rest of the massacres.

Mike,

The last message I received from the list was in the spring of 2005. Some of the active members at that time were Atwell, Smedley, Link and Johnny Walls. I think everyone has pretty much migrated to here or Sherdog with different names.

"Exactly the reason Wikipedia is a completely unreliable source of info."

I think that Wikipedia is good overall. If there's a mistake somebody just needs to edit it.

Rickson would beat him soundly..... Rickson by armbar