diff between russian/japanese judo

It is so great to share info among fellow martial artist. Even with the rule changes in International Judo, one can still learn Russian Judo and use it now in Mixed Martial Arts Gi Events (hint hint)I believe the only still prohibited item would be the Flying Armbar. But everything else would be good to use again I think.

Technically, the flying armbar is legal. It is just restricted by some local refs, etc. However, at international events it is a go. The Camrillo bros still use it in judo events as well...I'm going to try and learn it later this summer when I have a crash mat available =)

Plenty of "Russian" judo still works well (you just gotta be quick with it). Japanese judo has a tradition of holding the front of the belt (as was noted in Russian Judo) so that small guys can keep away from big guys, and Yukio Tani, the first judoka in Britain (and Europe?), was known for flying armbars as well...the Russians just took it to another level :o)

It should be noted that given that Japanese judokas had success in sambo and given that they have had success in judo (obviously), that "Japanese" grips aren't to be overlooked. Udo Quelmazz was a master of gi chokes because he used his lapel gi grip off of a throw to nail a guy right away with a choke...

You gotta learn both (and the great thing about the Russian tradition is the lack of nationalism over what works...they DO learn everything, not just what 'their' country (although really it was the Soviet Union) developed.

Furiko-tomoe-nage (or Pendulum Tomoe-Nage)this is taken from "Tomoe-Nage" by Kashiwazaki"I was a 20-year-old university student when I first discovered this move. Strangely, it wasn't during a judo session but when I was competing in the All-Japan Sambo Competition. I was fighting the Soviet Champion and I must have tried something like a kouchi-gari into yoko-tomoe-nage combination, but it came out like this instead. I threw the Russian twice for what in judo terms would have been ippon, but in sambo terms was only four points for each throw - one point short of outright victory. In the event, my opponent caught hold of my leg and I lost on a leglock. But it proved to be a vital experience for me because I went on to develop the move into my tokui-waza, or favourite technique. I won many competitions with it, including throwing the Romanian Nicolae in the final of the World Championships."In between that competition and winning the judo worlds (in 81), Kashiwazaki won the sambo worlds (in 75), so I guess he learnt those leglocks =)Crosstraining...

great thread

awesome!

Russian Judo and Sambo is my favorite study. Its know going on two years since I first started into it. I left Graice Jui-Jitsu under Relson to pursue my interest in Russian Jacket Wrestling. Since then I have never looked back. The best way to learn Russian
Judo is also to learn Russian Sambo. Validmir Nevzerov was a Russian Sambist who studied very hard at Classical Japanese Judo and became a World Champion in Judo. Japanese Judoka Katshhiko Kashiwazaki learned Russian Sambo to better his Judo and became a legend known for his matwork in Judo. He was a champion (gold medalist) in Sambo too. So Judo and Sambo can compliment each other. Other differences that made Russian Judo seem different than Japanese were, in Japanese Culture it was not honorable to tap out (submit). It was much better to be choked unconcious. So the Japanese did not use armlocks heavily if at all,
but the Russians did use armlocks, and used them all kinds of ways! So when the Russians and Japanese first
met on the mat the Japanese were surprised at the Russians extremly fierce hunt for armlocks, flying armbars, armlock rolls, the works! Also the Russians used different grips, over the shoulder, over the back
belt grips, front belt grips, entwined arm grips, two handed same side grips, the works! But present day IJF
rules have reduced alot of the Russian Style. So todays
style is much different than the past. Plus the Russian
Judo Gi was more cut similar to a Sambo Kurtka so it fit a little tighter but since the early 90's the IJF
regulated Judo Gi's too. So Russian Judo has to evolve now with all the rule changes.

thanks man! nice post. that sucks that the rules have reduced russian judo's style. i just ordered the russian judo masterclass book and i can't wait to read it.

The gi thing is better for all though...no point having a gi so tight that you can't grip it (otherwise one might as well wear a singlet). Sambo can have tight kurtkas because the belt is 'easier' to grab, the sleeves are cut wider and you can grab inside, the shoulder have epilets, etc.

The Russians also can up with some cool inovations outside of sambo. In sambo you can't grip below the belt (you can scoop the legs for doubles, etc. though). However, in judo you can grab the pants (but like somboplayer said, you can only grab for 3 sec. at a time because of new rule changes). The Japanese style didn't make use of this pant grabbing option, but the Russians noticed that one could do it and BANG!!!...leg grab foot sweeps are now the most common type of foot sweep I'm pretty sure =)

Here you see the guy from Korea throwing the guy from Belgium (which is coached by the author of Russian Judo btw).The Korean is doing a 'ouchi-gari'. But it is a very Russian version of it, note the over the shoulder belt grab, and the grab of the pant leg as well.Everyone has to know both Japanese and Russian judo if they want to be successful.

actually that might be a left-legged kouchi...anyway, the point is the belt grab and the pant grab combo

Thanks to both SSonnon and MTrip for providing information over the years on Russian Sambo and Judo to
us internet users.