Din Thomas details departure from ATT

Din Thomas started fighting in 1998 retired in 2013, and was affiliated with ATT to varying degrees since 2001. In 2015 he was recruited by the organization to become of the team's primary coaches, and worked with a number of notable fighters including Tyron Woodley, Greg Hardy, Gillian Robertson, Antonio Carlos Junior, and Krzysztof Jotko. In March he amicably split with ATT.

“He was a great teammate and then a great coach,” wrote ATT owner Dan Lambert. “I’m sure he will be very successful regardless of the path he is choosing.”

Now in an interview with Mike Bohn for MMA Junkie, Thomas detailed what's next.

“I was off with Tyron we were training for Leon Edwards and I had been gone from the gym for two weeks and it just kind of hit me,” explained Thomas. “It was like, ‘Do I even want to go back?’ I said to myself, ‘I don’t even want to go back.’ I’m happy doing what I’m doing and I know that I’m valuable enough that I can do this on my own that I don’t need a team.

“I’m not saying I’m the best guy in the world or the smartest guy, but I know what I’m worth and I know that I’m valuable alone to do it. If I do need help in certain areas I can find it and I can get it and I can bring people in. I don’t need to have that whole team atmosphere.”

“It was tough to leave, but you’ve got to do what you feel is right for you. I got my own stable that I’m trying to work with. I’m trying to avoid having too many people to work with. I’m just trying to work with the people I like. I’m too old. I have some gray in this beard. I’m too old to be working with everybody. … I’m sure that some of the fighters will miss me, but it’s American Top Team. Everything will be all right.”

“Eventually I’m going to set up own little spot. Not a gym, but just a place where we can train people. Not trying to have a school or nothing like that, but just a place to train people that have fights coming up and I can grow with and build relations and grow with them.”

Thomas is currently working with Woodley, Gillian Robertson, and Hannah Goldy, and is finalizing negotiations with Greg Hardy.

1 Like

seems like a good trainor hes great on Looking For A Fight

![](upload://6RT6geRbreQyaeMKSK3N3svFIw1.jpeg)

I like Din a lot and he definitely knows the sport and how to coach. I hope he remains successful. 

1 Like

I knew Din by sight in the old days and he would always say hello when he saw me even though I wasn’t in his stratosphere, he would have some small talk and overall great guy. I always watched his fights and supported him. Whatever he does he will be successful.

1 Like
mikeharveyfl12 - I knew Din by sight in the old days and he would always say hello when he saw me even though I wasn't in his stratosphere, he would have some small talk and overall great guy. I always watched his fights and supported him. Whatever he does he will be successful.

This.....    very good guy, knew him a little back in the day when his first gym was around the corner from high school where I coached.

He let me come in to train and workout.  

I rolled with him around the time he fought BJ Penn 

Best of luck to him 

Wow. Didn’t Phil Daru just leave as well? 

Love Din! One of my all time favorite MMA personalites 

Was one of the best! Do your thing, Din!

I'm sure he'll l do well at whatever he does mma related. Apart from fighting was impressed with him on rogan, clever guy

mikeharveyfl12 - I knew Din by sight in the old days and he would always say hello when he saw me even though I wasn't in his stratosphere, he would have some small talk and overall great guy. I always watched his fights and supported him. Whatever he does he will be successful.

Thats how Shawn Tompkins was with me and Im just a fan that was around quite a bit.  Such a great guy, still weird to me he passed.  RIP