DLR Guard while underhooking trapped leg?

I have seen a lot of attacks from De la Riva guard where (for example), if i have my opponent's right leg forward and i am using my left DLR hook, i would underhook his right leg at his ankle underneath my left leg with my left arm. or, i could spin the other way, still on his right leg, using a reverse DLR hook with my right foot on his right leg, underhooking his right leg at the ankle with my right arm underneath my right leg.

any instructionals or clips featuring this style of control/attack?

practitioners who often use this style of guard?

Caio Terra and Cobrinha come to mind.

Amaury Bitetti taught stuff from there at a seminar once. I love it, it's good stuff.

Amaury shows one such technique on the "Rey Diogo DLR Sweep" DVD. Rey shows one too (with that same underhook) though in retrospect it might be considered "reaping" the knee these days. Not sure.

you can either spin through and get a reaping sweep like shen says, or take them over the side you're underhooking, provided you have a monster grip on the same side arm of his.

DLR with underhook on trapped leg = The Berimbolo.

LiteBlu - DLR with underhook on trapped leg = The Berimbolo.

Really, what does that mean? Is it someone's name...?

shen - 
LiteBlu - DLR with underhook on trapped leg = The Berimbolo.

Really, what does that mean? Is it someone's name...?

i asked my instructor what it means and he told me to stop watching youtube.

Berimbolo is something different, and it is quite glorious.

I use this underhook position to put lots of pressure on the knee and then jump on single legs or omoplata. Omoplata is easy from this position.

Berimbolo isn't an underhook.

i dont know, but gui mendes did it to a japanese dude, very recently!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B25nFmAMnQA

baret yoshida, specifically

I use it against an opponent in combat base, rolling outside into a waiter sweep.

A couple of things about Baret. He's American:) And he's very cool for both competing in the gi and competing against a 23 year old.

That said, oh my god! Gui Mendes one-sidedly beat one of the best grapplers out there in slow motion and without really breaking a sweat!

John Frankl - A couple of things about Baret. He's American:) And he's very cool for both competing in the gi and competing against a 23 year old.

That said, oh my god! Gui Mendes one-sidedly beat one of the best grapplers out there in slow motion and without really breaking a sweat!

haha I was just doing a play on words on the post above me, albeit poorly.

watching gui vs yoshida reminded me of rafa mendes vs megaton - not stylistically, but watching somebody so young, outmatch somebody with substantially more experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcSpGBONUYU

I mean, megaton is practically a living legend. there must be a lot going on that I just don't see because it doesn't seem like yoshida or megaton were physically outmatched. what's letting the mendes pull off wins like this? is it good strategy? do they have more technical knowledge? or depth of knowledge in the basics? good movement?? (in reference to the article you wrote before, john)

It really blows my mind seeing matches like this.

The Mendes armbar from closed guard is a little different than most I've learned. Just a minor technical change that has made a massive difference in my arm bars from closed guard.

Of course, both are also super athletes, and incredibly strong, but they are supremely technical and do some things slightly different than most.

All of Team Atos uses that position. When Bruno Frazzatto and Durinho Burns compete they will pull guard directly into that underhook. Bruno has a dvd (in Portuguese with Japanese subtitles that shows this a little)

As far as what makes Gui's work so great against Megaton i just think it is his ability to off balance an opponant from strange angles. When I watch the Mendes Bros. It just looks like they attack from every angle possible and switch angles super fast. I always liked watching those kinds of players and then watching the "traditionalist" players like Roger who use the closed guard and the basic attacking positions.

Rafael actually said he loves closed guard, it's just harder to pull closed guard when both players plan on pulling guard.

Most matches at feather weight start with double guard pulls. If you ever see Rafael put someone in his closed guard, it's not opening until he gets top position, or rips the guys arm off.

Strangely, he said he also really likes the Margarida style open guard (cross collar grip, sleeve grip, one foot on hip, other in bicep).

ttt Phone Post

Ttt Phone Post

After Rafael gets to high guard and decides for the armbar, instead of lifting his hips a little and putting the leg over and then finishing, he basically extends his hips 90% of the way, then passes his leg over the head.

By the time his leg goes over your head, you have to tap because it's so tight. It's also impossible to get stacked this way. I used to get stacked by the 250+lb guys, but this way, they have to tap way before they can. Hell, even if i don't extend enough to make them tap, they can't stack because my body is fully aligned. I'm in a very biomechanically strong posture.

I'm not sure if this is actually different. I had never seen the armbar done this way, and a few BBs I talked to hadn't either.

There are a lot of guys out there that have games I like a lot and I am unapologetic about my praise of Roger and Marcelo. But these Mendes brothers are my jiu jitsu crush for the time being. That have great games.

this:

http://www.grapplearts.com/Images/Article-Images/Guard_Positions/High-no-gi.jpg

But the guys posture is more broken down. Rafael initiates this by attacking the cross choke. If you watch the Megaton match carefully, Rafael is attacking with a cross choke from closed guard first.

Like I said before, if he puts you in closed guard, you're going to lose.