Do any of you own a Grappling dummy?

I received shipping info this morning for the submission master. They werent kidding when they said 2-3 weeks before the product will ship.

Im going to break it in and Ill review it once Ive had a fair amount of time "drilling"

I was in New Zealand recently and was tempted to get one of these bad boys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93i2bXsWoJ8

I think the Submission Master dummy looks great. The guy makes a pretty good argument for it here, too -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMpj16lk3Co

I'd get one if I could afford it

My submission master arrived today. Looks good so far. I have not got to see how it holds up. Phone Post

I have the submission master. It will take a while to properly break in. As others have said, some things work well others, not so much. I do find myself using it often enough that I would consider it a good purchase.

One tip I read somewhere and stick to is to keep it dressed in either a gi or long sleeve rash guard top and some sort of bottom so that you aren't sweating all over it. You can't wash the dummy and it will get nasty fast as it is made from a fabric material. If you keep it dressed in some old grappling clothes you can wash them every once in a while and keep the dummy from getting to disgusting.

Awesome thank Sean. I'm thinking of getting a long sleeve rash guard to cover the cords. Other than that, "HOLY SHIT" it's awesome Phone Post

i use the submission master dummy at my school almost every day, it changed my game

. . . that being said, I don't know of anyone who is actually "good" and uses a grappling dummy, does that seem to be the case for you guys too?

In for review.... Phone Post

Grappling dummies have a place.. I've owned both a kid sized bubba, and adult sized bubba, and an adult sized SM.

The bubba is great for top work.. But that's where it ends. It plain sucks for guard work.

The SM is better for guard work but unless you have really long legs it really wide on the shoulder etc and harder to break in than a bubba.

I think for shootwrestling , catchwrestling, or no gi sub grapping SM is better, but for sport bjj grappling I personally like bubba better.

Now having owned both of these I can tell you something.. It is a WORKOUT on its own.. Secondly, keep in mind as one ages like 35+ it hard to go to class and get banged up multiple times a week and recover.. The injuries will just destroy your progress. By training with a dummy you are developing your muscle memory in the basic moves so when you do hit class 1-2 times a week you are getting results as you can recall the moves you need fast and just apply them instinctively.. Only your timing and rhythm will need work as you work with live opponents but at least your nothing overthinking how to do a move.

If its a long commute to your school even moreso a dummy is necessary as you don't want to waste time driving all hours when you want to be fresh for practice.

if your married have kids etc its a godsend because your wife will not let you get time for bjj without bitching and this is a perfect way to make time at home with her and still get in your workout.

Grappling dummies and older grapplers go together like bees and honey.

If i was 16 I wouldn't bother.. I would be attending class 6 days a week! But at 43 I only have time on weekends and lets face it 1 day a week isn't going to help me keep up with other students (even newers ones). By training on the dummy 30-45 min 3 week at home and injury free and them hitting the school preparing with at least some basic moves you feel ready!

So buy it! You won't regret it!