Do you consider BJJ matches as "fights"?

can a mod put "part 136" at the end of the thread title?

BJJ/grappling is more a "fight" than boxing, MTK, etc.

But who really cares?

As much as I consider boxing a fight. The just limit the techniques allowed in the fight. Phone Post

BadLuck13 - I'd love to see someone try to break this logic.

Ok so bjj isn't a fight you say, ok....
What if a guy goes into an mma fight, takes a guy down and taps him out without throwing a single punch? Is that a fight? Yes because it's an mma fight. So why then is bjj not a fight?
If boxing is only punching and it's ok to call it a fight (I don't actually but 99% of people call boxers fighters and boxing matches fights) then it is certainly acceptable to call a bjj match a fight. You are fighting to win, regardless if you throw strikes.

If you don't call bjj matches or amateur wrestling matches fights you can't call k1 or boxing or even mma a fight IMHO.

Also what about when two guys with guns are trying to kill each other, often called a fire fight in law enforcement or military, last time I checked they weren't throwing strikes and its still a fight....

To fix the problem just call it a bjj fight an mma fight a a fire fight a fist fight etc etc

There are thousands of ways to fight.
Ps /thread and you're welcome. I'm out. Phone Post 3.0

Break the logic? ok,

The mma fighter has chosen not to use strikes, the bjj'er is not allowed. the Comparison is flawed. Phone Post

When I'm at NAFA ect.. people don't say "hey what's his fight record?" If they do its because he/she is a MMA "fighter.

In today's society nobody considers you a fighter in your sport if you cannot get knocked unconscious otherwise you are a player and just competed in a match Phone Post

NAFA = NAGA Phone Post

CiganoBoxer - 
cruedi - Any time you add "rules" it becomes a competition and not a fight.

Boxing is not fighting. The original NHB was close, but even it wasn't fighting since you could "tap" or give up at any time and end the situation.

I have heard it all now ,So boxing/fist fighting is no longer a fight ?
Most stupid thing i eva heard.
Maybe you should go tell that to Micheal Whatson,Gerald McClellan or even Johnny Owens !

Man are you stupid, Watson sued the british boxing council and won a million pounds because of what happened to him, because it wasn't a fight it was a boxing MATCH with rules that were followed and he wasn't protected.

Just because someone gets hurt doesn't make it a fight. Pro football players who have brain damage from numerous concussions were they in fights?

When Dale Earnhardt died was he in a fight?

One thing has nothing to do with the other. When a state athletic commission sanctions something it's a sport, or competition, not a fight.

While we're deciding who can call something what, can we address what is or is not a 'war'. Wars are occurring in Iraq and Afghanistan; you dudes are hitting each other in the face.

I saw a shirt somewhere that said "NAGA Fighter". Yes it's a fight. All martial arts comps could be considered fights. Sumo, Wrestling, Kung Fu, Tai Chi, Judo, Karate, BJJ etc. Only delusional boxing fans who think Maywhether could beat Royce think otherwise.

Naga Fighter rashguard link.
http://shop.nagafighter.com/naga_cart/store/index.cfm?ac=ShowProducts&CatID=609&SetCat=1

I wouldn't call it a fight but I wouldn't argue with those who do. The debate honestly exploits a fairly narrow grey area between combative sports, so as with any philosophical discussion defining what a "fight" is would get us closer to mutual agreement.

Without defining the term, we are pretty much left to discuss whether a given shade of purple has more blue or red in it.

For me personally, a true fight implies a self-defense aspect that is outside of a sporting context. There are a lot of "sportive fights" that come very close to approximating this, but the distinction is much greater than simply striking versus grappling as noted in previous examples.

i wrestled for a long time and never once did I consider myself in a "fight" when I stepped onto or off of the mat.

IMO...

jjchgo - i wrestled for a long time and never once did I consider myself in a "fight" when I stepped onto or off of the mat.

IMO...

did you ever stop someone and correct them if they complimented you on how well you fought for position?

Meh, semantics. Phone Post

Quadzilla7 - Someone trying to choke you or break a limb not a fight? Please explain this to me. Phone Post
Because you don't get beaten up. Please don't come back with the argument that you can snap arms etc because you'd just tap. Phone Post 3.0

No.

No striking = no fighting

Semantic battles rule.

cruedi - 
CiganoBoxer - 
cruedi - Any time you add "rules" it becomes a competition and not a fight.

Boxing is not fighting. The original NHB was close, but even it wasn't fighting since you could "tap" or give up at any time and end the situation.

I have heard it all now ,So boxing/fist fighting is no longer a fight ?
Most stupid thing i eva heard.
Maybe you should go tell that to Micheal Whatson,Gerald McClellan or even Johnny Owens !

Man are you stupid, Watson sued the british boxing council and won a million pounds because of what happened to him, because it wasn't a fight it was a boxing MATCH with rules that were followed and he wasn't protected.

Just because someone gets hurt doesn't make it a fight. Pro football players who have brain damage from numerous concussions were they in fights?

When Dale Earnhardt died was he in a fight?

One thing has nothing to do with the other. When a state athletic commission sanctions something it's a sport, or competition, not a fight.

You dont get the difference in the sports you mention and boxing do you ?

In boxing you can legally kill someone, you intently try to do damage or hurt/maim/incapacitate your opponent ..yet thats not fighting in your pea brain.

Thats a little different than taking a risk by driving an f1 car or playing rugby wouldn't you say ?

^No reason you can't legally kill somebody in football.

Any combat sport's matches can be classified as fights and I believe that is the dictionary definition.(although I realize that many on this thread will be in denial due to whatever insecurities they have).

I haved used at times the term match, contest and fight for any tournament I was in...whether it was, Bjj, Judo, Grappling, Karate....or Sport Bjj.

This argument only exists on the internet. None of the Kickboxers, boxers or grapplers I know would ever dream of mentioning this in real life.

Fight=Match=Contest or whatever you want to call it. These hypothetical wannabe toughguys that attach meaning to what you want to call it do not exist in real life....and I can guarantee that if they did they would get laughed at pretty hard.

And technically for the record any sport that has rules and a referee is not a fight no matter how desperately the boxing crowd wants it to be.

i only train bjj and don't consider it a fight but i do consider boxing a fight.

The main difference for me is the striking aspect sure you can be hurt in a jiujitsu match just from pressure or stuff like that but your not getting your brain or torso rattled by strikes which is a whole different dimension for me