Do you like celebrity or gimmick fights in MMA?

I like watching train wreck fights every once in a while. I love highly skilled fights mostly, but I love the occasional junk food. Kimbo vs DaDa5000, PM Punk, Toney. I really wish Bellator would always have one celebrity or personality figjt on each card just for entertainment. Throw on a Ken vs Royce 4 and Tito vs Chuck again for good measure.

3 Likes

I love them. Actual fans don’t take them too seriously, and it brings more eyes to the sport. HaRdCoRe fAnS will bitch about the “purity” of the sport, but who gives a fuck.
I’d rather watch a gimmick fight than watch two 125lb women punch the air for 15 minutes.

9 Likes

Yep, give me Elon Musk and Zuck air punching over two 125 fighters. Also put in a tranny

2 Likes

I do enjoy them. Here’s a recent one from the UK (comedian vs reality TV star):

I love freak fights. The build up to Bonnar v Tito was fun. With Bonnars masked man and all that pro wrestling bullshit with it.

2 Likes

Pulling off his mask and having another one on underneath was an excellent touch. He didn’t need to hide his identity either because it’s not like Justin McCully was ever a big name in the sport.

4 Likes

no, it cheapens the sport

1 Like

I liked a lot of the freakshow JMMA fights like Royce vs Akebono, Sudo vs Butterbean etc… but it has to feature the right fighters at the right time.

The Dada5000, CM Punk, Jake Paul etc… stuff is just terrible in comparison to the K1 and JMMA stuff.

2 Likes

THAT was THE fight. In the Roman Coliseum to booth. It would have been the biggest draw ever. A giant win for MMA.

Other freakshows? Depends. Japan knew how to put some good ones.

I was cageside for that. One of the commissioners said “there better not be any bullshit about to happen!” I was like " theres a guy with a mask on in the cage, theres definitely about to be some bullshit!"

2 Likes

I liked watching Fedor vs Choi. I think Fedeor got hit once and took some damage from it before throwing up a triangle iirc.

1 Like

I was in the area just above the floor seats. Was a fun event.

My favorite moment was when Manhoef flat lined Schilling.

That whole card was pretty sick though.

3 Likes

Like a 1/3 of Fedor’s “prime” was circus fights.

1 Like

Dada vs Kimbo was one of the greatest comedy specials to see as it happened. My brother and I still talk about how much fun we had eating pizza and watching those two gas out and stumble around.

1 Like

DTT19-
4dd171143c2f1f62195c0538ae32fd0b

4 Likes

zu8rq97

4 Likes

there are freak fights and freak fights
minowaman beating hong man choi and bob sapp, good.
500 year old corpses who used to be famous being dragged out for one more match on a rivalry thats been dead for 20 years, bad.

3 Likes

i laughed at that live
but i didnt know it was a heart attack

2 Likes

The one I was most looking forward to was when Biden invited Trump to go out “behind the barn” and settle things.

I got Trump vs creepy joe and corn pop