Do you really NEED IBJJF recognition?

SlapUsilly - 

Got my BB from my teacher with Royler present and have the pictures to prove it.

Also got my school's black belt diploma.  

I also do not compete anymore.  

No expensive proof required that i am a black belt. 

maybe for you that's and people around you, it's legit... but maybe somebody from upstate NY..maybe someone named "Lang" has a pic of him with BBs? Is that proof for him? What should others be held to?  What you have is not a "standard". 

You don't need it. If someone challenges your degree - it can be settled fairly easily on the mat. That said, not playing the game whe IBJJF puts you and your school at a disadvantage. Until something changes - they hold a lot of power. With that in mind - there are ways to benefit from alligning with the IBJJF - running and promoting IBJJF rules based classes at your club can attract people interested in competing more, etc

Eventually, there will be multiple governing bodies ... and you'll have to register/pay at one of them

Good point, and you are absolutely correct, although, i wonder how we ever survived as a community before the IBJJF came round to line their pockets with exhorbitant fees. 

And ther "standard" is not much of a standard at all.  All they require is minimum time per belt, unnecessary things like reffing courses  and CPR certification (if you want to be an officially recognized BB) and of course a nice chunk of money every once in a while if you want to keep getting promoted by/through them.

Most of those things you mentioned can be solved with a quick phone  call to whoever an individual claims to have received their belt from, by the way.

Judo feds in the US do all of this above, including padding their own pockets, for a hell of a lot less money, and they include catastrophe insurance to boot.  They also seem to actually care about the growth of judo and even sponsor some of their athletes.

IF i ever run a school, i would be have to be associated with those crooks(IBJJF), but only to enable students to compete in their tournaments and not deny them of the opportunity.

Necessary evil .. sometimes you just have to play the game

USJA is cheaper, sure, but they're doing some weird shit now too. I was at the club last night and had a timely conversation. We have a new green belt that just moved into our area. Because he was in a different country he isn't recognized by he USJA as a green belt. To them he's a white belt -- and the head of our charter needs to retest him for the belt. Not the biggest deal, but a pain in the ass and kind of insulting to the student and his old club.  Additionally, if the paperwork isn't in order or they do a spot check on him and don't like what they see they can revoke the clubs charter. Just strange stuff

The governing bodies are only going to get more muddled over time. They're going to be extremely political ...

What i liked about the older days was that the sport sort of policed itself, but i think that you come to an issue of scale eventually. Too many schools now - too popular for it not to be organizd - otherwise you'd have a grand master in every association

I'm registered as an IBJJF black belt competitor so I can do comps.
But I'm not certified and don't feel it would do anything for me. Phone Post 3.0

SlapUsilly -

Good point, and you are absolutely correct, although, i wonder how we ever survived as a community before the IBJJF came round to line their pockets with exhorbitant fees. 

And ther "standard" is not much of a standard at all.  All they require is minimum time per belt, unnecessary things like reffing courses  and CPR certification (if you want to be an officially recognized BB) and of course a nice chunk of money every once in a while if you want to keep getting promoted by/through them.

Most of those things you mentioned can be solved with a quick phone  call to whoever an individual claims to have received their belt from, by the way.

Judo feds in the US do all of this above, including padding their own pockets, for a hell of a lot less money, and they include catastrophe insurance to boot.  They also seem to actually care about the growth of judo and even sponsor some of their athletes.

IF i ever run a school, i would be have to be associated with those crooks(IBJJF), but only to enable students to compete in their tournaments and not deny them of the opportunity.
FYI: Up to purple belts your students can compete in IBJJF tournaments simply by registering under BJJ Globetrotters. Phone Post 3.0

PTA -

USJA is cheaper, sure, but they're doing some weird shit now too. I was at the club last night and had a timely conversation. We have a new green belt that just moved into our area. Because he was in a different country he isn't recognized by he USJA as a green belt. To them he's a white belt -- and the head of our charter needs to retest him for the belt. Not the biggest deal, but a pain in the ass and kind of insulting to the student and his old club.  Additionally, if the paperwork isn't in order or they do a spot check on him and don't like what they see they can revoke the clubs charter. Just strange stuff

The governing bodies are only going to get more muddled over time. They're going to be extremely political ...

What i liked about the older days was that the sport sort of policed itself, but i think that you come to an issue of scale eventually. Too many schools now - too popular for it not to be organizd - otherwise you'd have a grand master in every association

Wait? What? U lost me at green belt. Since when does ibjjf have green belt besides kids, are we talking kids here? Because if you r talking ibjjf and adult green belts then sorry Phone Post 3.0

^ None of the schools I've attended give out adult green belts- but there are a handful of super well respected schools that do these days, so I don't question it much.

Off the top of my head, Im pretty sure Robson Moura's, and American Top Team have adopted that belt for adults.

walbjj - 
PTA -

Wait? What? U lost me at green belt. Since when does ibjjf have green belt besides kids, are we talking kids here? Because if you r talking ibjjf and adult green belts then sorry Phone Post 3.0

He is talking about a JUDO School, where a Green Belt is an adult rank.

He's saying that the USJA, one of the governing bodies of Judo, doesn't necessarily do a great job of policing things either.

Chango

ChangoBravo - 
walbjj - 
PTA -

He is talking about a JUDO School, where a Green Belt is an adult rank.

He's saying that the USJA, one of the governing bodies of Judo, doesn't necessarily do a great job of policing things either.

Chango

That's correct, thanks - and the standards change all the time ... pain in the ass

my bad, i wasnt familar with the acronym, got it now

I'm not registered and don't plan on it in the near future.