Do you side with GSP or UFC?

I see it from both POVs. Ultimately I tend to side with fighters over the machine, as long as it means other fighters aren’t getting chewed up or fucked over in the process.

I’ve been a GSP fan since the Frank Trigg fight and I’m glad to see a legend and GOAT contender leave the sport on top.

Dude fought Captain America. What else is there after that?

BJ Penn Forever -
crashingwaves - 
BJ Penn Forever - I did not like that GSP got to come in after four years away and get a title shot over the MW's who have been competing for that same shot in those four years.

UFC wanted him to defend. He did not want to do that. Did not want to challenge for the WW title. Wanted to drop down to a 3rd weight class and get another instant title shot to make history and become first three weight champ in UFC history.

I’m glad UFC stood their ground and did not let him do it. Letting a big name like GSP or Conor get an instant title shot in a new weight class is alright once in a while but you do it too much and you fuck up the lives of too many legit #1 contenders.

Prizefighting is not pure sport but it functions in a sportlike way most of the time in most of the promotions.

Can’t let GSP comeback after forever and fuck multiple #1 contenders out of their title shots without beating them in fights or defending any belts he wins.

Lol… says a salty BJ Penn fan  Wish the UFC would force that embarrassment to retire.  At least GSP faced top level competition all the way to the end…. And won!   

GSP has set so many UFC records and obtained so many championship belts… he has earned the right to pick his legacy fights.  Are there deserving LWs… sure, but how many have GSPs record, fan base or PPV draws?   Everyone of those contenders would also love a crack at GSP… if they were champ, you can bet they would calling him out like Khabib

The UFC set the precedent by allowing non # 1 contenders to fight for a belt… hell, it seems more often than not that the # 1 contender does not get the title shot… and if any non # 1 contender deserves a shot… its GSP.  

"At least GSP faced top level comp all the way to the end…"

If that is what you want to call one fight in five years after running from the Hendricks rematch then so be it.

You are one sad, bitter man. Still can’t get over the fact that the GOAT made your hero quit on the stool?

ducks18 -

Mighty Mouse Flyweight GOAT

Cruz bantamweight GOAT 

Aldo Featherweight GOAT 

Penn Lightweight GOAT

GSP welterweight GOAT

Anderson Silva Middleweight GOAT

Chuck Liddell Lightheavyweight GOAT

Fedor Heavyweight GOAT

Your LW and LHW goats are laughable. 

choadler - 
GSpenn fan -

When You have won 12 straight title fights you should be able to fight whoever the hell you want. GSP is a generational fighter. People will still be talking about him 20 to 30 years from now. UFC will probably regret not getting one last fight out of a legend that is still close to his physical prime. 

and since when does the UFC have structural integrity? They have always wanted to make the biggest fight despite the rankings. One thing we know about MMA is that nothing is guaranteed. When you have a chance to make a big fight.....you make it NOW....I thought we learned this after watching CroCop get destroyed by Gonzaga and Liddell getting beat down by Keith Jardine....

SN checks out.

I disagree though. MMA isn't boxing. Fighters need to fight (or not). Gsp is awesome, but really hasn't been present for 5 years outside of one fight. I honestly don't want somebody walking in after 5 years and saying I'm ready for one more fight. It disrupts the whole title picture.

No one fighter is transcendent. this is proven by the fact that no one will be very disappointed if GSP does not fight. I'd be okay with him getting a title shot at some point, but there is a line dude. He walked away. No Disney World fast-passes. It's arrogant for him to expect one.

You would think this, then realize that since GSP has been gone for 4 years the UFC has relied almost totally on  Rousey and Connor Mcgregor as their top draws for PPV....That is pretty embarassing. UFC peaked back when GSP, Anderson, Jones and Cain were in their prime....now its taking steps backwards.....I dont even know that many people that keep up with UFC anymore. 

gsp all the way 

MayorPirkle -
ducks18 -

Mighty Mouse Flyweight GOAT

Cruz bantamweight GOAT 

Aldo Featherweight GOAT 

Penn Lightweight GOAT

GSP welterweight GOAT

Anderson Silva Middleweight GOAT

Chuck Liddell Lightheavyweight GOAT

Fedor Heavyweight GOAT

Your LW and LHW goats are laughable. 

This X 100

So many cards, such shitty fights.  So much talent gets shelved because of the standard McGregor has set.  Everyone in the top 10 want title shots and when they're fortunate enough to win a title they immediately want to make millions and challenge another weight class.  The only ones who haven't are Bobby Knuckles because he can't stay healthy and Woodley who has been waiting for a big money fight.

I got an idea.. get rid of Dana and bring back Joe Silva. Big fights would still get made

Alonzo_Harris_Monte_Carlo_1979 - Don't be surprised if after International Fight Week, the UFC suddenly creates a 165 pound division. We'll then get everybody's, including Khabib's dream fight, scheduled for the first half of November.

It will not be in Montreal but Toronto. They have dogshit going in the future, and it would be an amazing fight.

Baldfather doesn’t really call the shots anymore. They just pretend that EGG does to keep people thinking things are the way they were.

GSP deserves whatever the hell he wants. GSP entered the Octagon barely a decade after the sport was a decade old in the US of A. He is easily the P4P, if you believe in that sort of thing, as the greatest fighter of all-time.

He sells almost as good as anyone ever, without Chael P.'s WWF talk & Conor’s antics.

Dana is a faggot corn-holing c0cksucker that the sport no longer needs, especially, on ESPN. His fake teeth and HGH gigantic dome are no longer needed or definitely wanted by most. Dana…button up your shirt you pig.

Oh, GSP didn’t get the finishes that the Just Bleed Fans wanted so badly because people just tried to survive after they realized there was nothing they could do to him.

There is so much more but why waste the time, huh? Thanks!

Truth

GSpenn fan -
choadler - 
GSpenn fan -

When You have won 12 straight title fights you should be able to fight whoever the hell you want. GSP is a generational fighter. People will still be talking about him 20 to 30 years from now. UFC will probably regret not getting one last fight out of a legend that is still close to his physical prime. 

and since when does the UFC have structural integrity? They have always wanted to make the biggest fight despite the rankings. One thing we know about MMA is that nothing is guaranteed. When you have a chance to make a big fight.....you make it NOW....I thought we learned this after watching CroCop get destroyed by Gonzaga and Liddell getting beat down by Keith Jardine....

SN checks out.

I disagree though. MMA isn't boxing. Fighters need to fight (or not). Gsp is awesome, but really hasn't been present for 5 years outside of one fight. I honestly don't want somebody walking in after 5 years and saying I'm ready for one more fight. It disrupts the whole title picture.

No one fighter is transcendent. this is proven by the fact that no one will be very disappointed if GSP does not fight. I'd be okay with him getting a title shot at some point, but there is a line dude. He walked away. No Disney World fast-passes. It's arrogant for him to expect one.

You would think this, then realize that since GSP has been gone for 4 years the UFC has relied almost totally on  Rousey and Connor Mcgregor as their top draws for PPV....That is pretty embarassing. UFC peaked back when GSP, Anderson, Jones and Cain were in their prime....now its taking steps backwards.....I dont even know that many people that keep up with UFC anymore. 

Yeah, they worked their way the whole way down to ESPN.

BJ Penn Forever -
BigPhillip - 
BJ Penn Forever -
Jones right nostril - 

Nah fuck that, GSP is a once in a generation fighter, I want to see him fight the best new kids in the block. There’s nothing more exciting than that imo. 

Guys like Tony and Dustin will get their chance eventually, but they’re not “transcendent” stars like GSP and never will be. GSP vs khabib would be like Jordan vs Kobe. 

Tony is 10-0 at LW over the past five years. GSP is 1-0 at MW in that same time.

Crazy to think he gets to skip over Tony.

Did not look all that transcendent vs Hendricks five years ago either.

One of the GOATS for sure but to think he gets it over Tony in 2019 is crazy.

Do you actually think a casual fan cares about Tony? Pull your head out of your ass, barely anyone cares about MMA other than the mouth breathers on this message board. GSP vs Khabib would have actually sold PPVs

Don’t care about the casual fans. Don’t care if GSP vs Khabib would of sold ten million PPVs.

Questionable opinion that disregards why all of this is even possible. Selling that many ppvs helps grow the sport which bring more money in and fighters get paid more which increases the quality of athletes that choose to compete in mma in the future

I think that GSP can ask for any fight he wants, that he can make weight for, and that he is worthy of the fight. At the same time, the UFC should look after its own interests and do what’s best for the UFC.

Mustard Tiger - 
GSpenn fan -
choadler - 
GSpenn fan -

SN checks out.

Yeah, they worked their way the whole way down to ESPN.

Bowling and women’s basketball is also on ESPN

GSP's and Khabib's obviously, don't forget it's both fighters that want this fight. Both fighters are self made stars, rising through the ranks facing whoever was put in front of them with little to no push.

It really goes to show how much leverage the UFC has over its fighters and fans when they can deny a huge fight that everyone is interested in aside from the organisation. Instead they give us constant rematches, interim titles... and WMMA. Sure, that's what we want to pay for!

Who actually gives a fuck about the belts besides the fighters and the ufc.. kabib vs gsp is a huge fight and one that I think Alot of people want to see

Thats fukin illegal - 

Who actually gives a fuck about the belts besides the fighters and the ufc.. kabib vs gsp is a hugh fight and one that I think Alot of people want to see

Agreed. There are like 2 title fights a year that are exciting. UFC should scrap belts and go back to tournaments for each weight class. Make super fights with fighters not involved in the tournament…would clear up all the bitching about who deserves a title fight and guys only wanting to defend once a year…you can’t argue with a bracket.

BJ Penn Forever -
multiculturaljoseph - 

Belts mean shit thanks to the “interim system” they employ. Fights take precedence.

And they let a PPV god retire over money. Fucking stupid. 

The belts mean something to him since he was trying to get them in three different weight classes without defending them or beating #1 contenders to get the shot at them. That “PPV god” never wanted to give Hendricks the rematch, never wanted to make the Anderson superfight in their primes, never wanted to fight Woodley who owns his divisions belt, never wanted to fight a top 5 MW to earn the Bisping shot, etc…

The GSP that faced all comers retired five years ago. The post-Hendricks GSP is completely different mentally. Went 1-0 in that time to preserve his legacy. Easy way to keep your record intact as you age.

GSP was retired and then came out of retirement after a long layoff and took on a very tough fighter in a weight class above his own. GSP vs Bisping was a fight GSP could have lost. It was a ballsy move by GSP, especially when he was sitting retired with his very tidy legacy. He put it on the line when he didn’t need to.

Canooke - 
BJ Penn Forever -
multiculturaljoseph - 

Belts mean shit thanks to the “interim system” they employ. Fights take precedence.

And they let a PPV god retire over money. Fucking stupid. 

The belts mean something to him since he was trying to get them in three different weight classes without defending them or beating #1 contenders to get the shot at them. That “PPV god” never wanted to give Hendricks the rematch, never wanted to make the Anderson superfight in their primes, never wanted to fight Woodley who owns his divisions belt, never wanted to fight a top 5 MW to earn the Bisping shot, etc…

The GSP that faced all comers retired five years ago. The post-Hendricks GSP is completely different mentally. Went 1-0 in that time to preserve his legacy. Easy way to keep your record intact as you age.

GSP was retired and then came out of retirement after a long layoff and took on a very tough fighter in a weight class above his own. GSP vs Bisping was a fight GSP could have lost. It was a ballsy move by GSP, especially when he was sitting retired with his very tidy legacy. He put it on the line when he didn’t need to.

Spot on.

Bisping was a difficult fight for anyone. Maybe two fighters ever had an ‘easy’ time against him. He was the fits, even in his losses, to most top middle weights.

It should just be about putting the best possible fights on the biggest stage out there. All this multifight deal nonsense should be avoided when dealing with a guy in GSP’s unique position as the sitting GOAT. Just let him fight and set the PPV record with him and Khabib before it’s too late. Instead of guaranteeing a huge ppv buy, Dana just boxed himself out of getting any money from promoting GSP.