Does Anderson Silva Get It?

The central question leading up to UFC 117 concerns UFC breakdancer middleweight champion Anderson Silva.  Most MMA fans want to know which Silva will show up on August 8th.  Will it be the focused, determined Silva who made short work of Rich Franklin, Forrest Griffin, Dan Henderson and others?  Or will it be the impetuous, infantile Silva who was more interested in dancing and mugging for the camera against Demian Maia?

While this is an appropriate question to ask about Silva, I believe there's a better, more relevant version of the same question.  Does Anderson Silva even understand why his actions, especially against Demian Maia, aren't acceptable?  Does Anderson Silva get it?

Full article here...

I'd love to see what the UG thinks here.  Does Anderson Silva really understand why so many fans are pissed off at him?  Or is he mostly oblivious?

August 7th in my opinion.

japetto - Should he care? Sure, from a fan's perspective "fighting for the fans" seems like the right thing to do, but let's face it. Most fighters who just "fight for the fans" have shitty records and battered faces.

Anderson fights to win and he is doing a very good job at it right now. He also can't be the only one to blame when there are two combatants in the cage, either. To me the issue is no different than LNPers. If you can't get them off of you or submit them, you are just as much to blame.

japetto gets it

Shouldnt of give him them opponents then. I loved every second of the Maia fight the dancing was unreal. Maia couldnt even attempt a takedown nevermind a submission and he was supposed to have the best Jui Jitsu in MMA most people on this site told me.

K-Dub-"T" -  Does Chael get it? He has promised to lay on Silva for 5 rounds ... lol

If you watched the Marquardt/Sonnen fight then you should know that Sonnen does a whole lot more than just lay on top of his opponents. He might very well be the most active striker from top position in all of MMA right now.

japetto - Anderson fights to win and he is doing a very good job at it right now. 

Did you even watch the Maia fight?

Lo No Ho Paura - 
Ghetto-Top-Team - 
japetto - Anderson fights to win and he is doing a very good job at it right now. 

Anderson won that fight with ease. He even had fun in there in the process of doing so. I had fun watching. Maia on the other hand didn't do shit.

This is simply not true. Maia didn't do shit? Maia was constantly trying to engage him the last few rounds, and Anderson pretty much pulled a Kalib Starnes. Mock Maia, dance and weave a little and then run away when Maia charges at him.

japetto - 
HOWtasteMYbigPP - 
K-Dub-"T" -  Does Chael get it? He has promised to lay on Silva for 5 rounds ... lol

If you watched the Marquardt/Sonnen fight then you should know that Sonnen does a whole lot more than just lay on top of his opponents. He might very well be the most active striker from top position in all of MMA right now.

Yeah, he's so active on top that his only finished fights out of his last 7 were when he tapped out (with his "most active striker from top position" game).

So if someone doesn't finish a fight that automatically means that they laid on top of their opponent the whole fight and weren't trying to finish the fight?

japetto - 
Ghetto-Top-Team - 

Yes, and he did win, correct?

Any other questions, and I would be more than happy to help.

saying "Anderson fights to win" is misleading.

Anderson could have won that fight at any point he wanted to without any risk. Watch the Chris Leben fight again. Leben charged at him like a drunken brawler and it took Anderson less than a minute to lay him out.

Maia was doing the exact same thing for several rounds. And Maia doesn't even have Leben's power or his chin. Watch the Forrest fight for another example of what happens when you throw sloppy punches against Silva. Anderson could have ENDED Maia any time he chose, but he simply chose not to. He wasn't about winning, he was about goofing off. Maia was charging him with sloppy punches and Anderson ran away.

Let's not pretend this is about Anderson's super-awesome strategy that some hick fan can't understand. Anderson chose not to finish the fight when he easily could have.

Does he "get" what? That he's the greatest fighter on the planet? Yeah, pretty sure he knows.

HOWtasteMYbigPP - 

lol at sonnen being active. Is that why Nate did more damage from the bottom position? sonnen's idea of being active is stalling from a dominant position.

japetto - 
DannyOcean - saying "Anderson fights to win" is misleading.

No it is not. Not in any way, shape, or form.

A win does not have to be by stoppage, or slugfest ending. You are confusing methods with results.

Yes it is misleading.

When you said that, you implicitly claimed that Anderson employed that strategy in order to win. Anderson absolutely did not employ that strategy because he thought it was the best way to win. He did it because he wanted to show up Maia. He could have won at any time he wanted. He chose to do what he did not because he wanted to win, but because he wanted to embarrass his opponent. The fact that he ended up winning doesn't mean that he chose that strategy in order to win.

Lo No Ho Paura - 

Why should he care what a bunch of retarded redneck Americans think about his fighting style and the way he handles himself in the cage?

Win 26–4 Brazil Demian Maia Decision (Unanimous) UFC 112: Invincible 02010-04-10 April 10, 2010 5 5:00 United Arab Emirates Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

Win 24–4 Brazil Thales Leites Decision (Unanimous) UFC 97: Redemption 02009-04-18 April 18, 2009 5 5:00 CanadaMontreal, Quebec, Canada

I'm not sure how many redneck Americans were in these crowds.

'implicitly claimed'

you should look up the word 'implicit'.

<blockquote>DannyOcean - <blockquote>japetto - <blockquote>DannyOcean - saying "Anderson fights to win" is misleading.<br /></blockquote><br />No it is not. Not in any way, shape, or form.<br /><br />A win does not have to be by stoppage, or slugfest ending. You are confusing methods with results.</blockquote><br /><br />Yes it is misleading.<br /><br />When you said that, you implicitly claimed that Anderson employed that strategy in order to win. Anderson absolutely did not employ that strategy because he thought it was the best way to win. He did it because he wanted to show up Maia. He could have won at any time he wanted. He chose to do what he did not because he wanted to win, but because he wanted to embarrass his opponent. The fact that he ended up winning doesn't mean that he chose that strategy in order to win.</blockquote><br /><br />

Word around the camp fire he's getting fucked on money <br />and doing this to piss off Dana !<br />

studiocamp - 
HOWtasteMYbigPP - 

lol at sonnen being active. Is that why Nate did more damage from the bottom position? sonnen's idea of being active is stalling from a dominant position.

Sonnen landed 199 strikes on the ground in the Marquardt fight. If you think that is laying or not being active then I would love to know who you think is active.

japetto - 
DannyOcean - 'implicitly claimed'

you should look up the word 'implicit'.

Aww, that's cute.

And like I already said, you have confused methods with results in your claim. Unless you can prove that Anderson fought to lose (which you cannot), he obviously fought to win.

It's not that hard to comprehend if you try.

Since you don't know what 'implicit' means or how I used it in that sentence, I'll just let you continue thinking what you think.

I really want anderson to get destroyed mid dance, however I don't wan't chael to be the one to do it!

Promoter should pay guaranteed finish bonuses if they want to show fights that the "average" fight fan wants (ie fighters taking unnecessary risks).

You want people living in a capitalist regime to act a certain way? Consider paying them.