Does Holm throw too many kicks?

I know she's won a lot of her mma fights by kicks at the lower levels, but is that a good strategy in the ufc?
It seems like every third strike she throws is some sort of kick, and i can see that getting exposed pretty quickly by a higher ranked opponent.

We're in the third round and all those kicks aren't looking too terribly effective, and I'm sure she's expending a lot of energy throwing all that..

Am i way off base here? Phone Post 3.0

mada - She kicks too much air, that I'm sure of Phone Post 3.0
This... Phone Post 3.0

Needed more hooks and upper cuts when exchanging. More jabs to set them up. Maybe take away 60% of the kicks and throw some leather. Phone Post 3.0

I didnt like how it looked like she had a chance to turn up the pace in the second, when her body kicks, while her opponent was up against the cage, clearly hurt, and she backed off.

That was my gripes, stopped the kicking when it was serving its purpose Phone Post 3.0

I think Kenny Florini hit it on the head, she seems to throw too many kicks without setting them up with punches. So yes, in that regard, she throws too many kicks as she should be throwing more punches to set up her combos. I'm not quite sold on her yet...she dominated easily, but she didn't really land much until late in the 3rd. Granted, it didn't help that Reneau was totally on the defensive, but she should have been able to back her up to the cage and then tee off. Trouble is, the few times Holm got Reneau backed up to the cage, she let off and headed back to center.

She seems to have the tools to be a dominant standup fighter, but right now she's not living up to potential.

Her hands looked good when she actually threw them.
She has way more work to do before she should be put in there with Ronda.
I hope they don't rush it Phone Post 3.0

mada - She kicks too much air, that I'm sure of Phone Post 3.0

/ thread

mada - Maybe actually engage and stay in the pocket Phone Post 3.0

This.

No commitment to the strikes. Her kicks remind me of old sport karate competitors. Phone Post 3.0

She was so good in pocket, but didn't do it enough. Everytime she backed up it pissed me off.

Erik_in_559 - Her hands looked good when she actually threw them.
She has way more work to do before she should be put in there with Ronda.
I hope they don't rush it Phone Post 3.0
I agree she has more work til she goes in there with Ronda. She looked like she wanted no part of that ground game, and Rousey would eat her punches to get the clinch.

She did not show that much power in that fight, and Ronda's old style of bullrushing-clich-throw, thrived on that. Now she's improved. Would give her some more time, but they will most likely rush it unfortunately Phone Post 3.0

I agree. She has great hands but needs more confidence in them. She had success with the head kick against weak opponents now she seems to have fallen in love with it and more or less spams it Phone Post 3.0

Throws too many HEEYAAAAs imo

mada - She kicks too much air, that I'm sure of Phone Post 3.0

Lol yup.

She's a great boxer. Don't get why she won't utilise it more. Keeping distance to avoid to? Phone Post 3.0

Ronda will run through her in under 2min. I wouldn't be surprised if she gets a ko Phone Post 3.0

Possibly, but she throws all those kicks to set up the High Kick. Had Marion engaged, she would have been thrown off with all the mid kicks and lead leg body kicks getting thrown her way and would have left herself open for a counter head kick. Instead she was moving backwards, never making an attempt to even move forward or remove her right hand from her face. As far as kicking air, you have to plant to throw a kick, if your opponent is constantly moving backwards at all times naturally the kick is gonna find air. No reason not to throw the kicks, had Marion moved forward or attempted to engage a lot more would have landed. Not like 50%landing is that bad in the first place but still. Yea she could of used to set up some of the kicks better but for the most part she was landing the body kicks at will.

"Does so and so throw too many punches?" Phone Post 3.0

looks and sounds like tkd point fighting. frustrating to see those skills not being used in devastating fashion

Holly Holm is a student of Mike Winklejon. I'm not a fan of his striking system. Jon Jones is the exception. Condit has his own style. Phone Post 3.0