Does Jimmy have what it takes?

Very curious ... why all the bad blood?

Dang. All this arguing over what? Come on guys. Why don't we wait and see. The 73kg division, like many others in the country is packed with talented guys. Of course there are favorites and there are underdogs. It wouldn't be a sport otherwise. And of course all of you have your friends or training mates that you are pulling for. That doesn't mean you have to go at each other on a website about it.

I like the drama but calling people out isn't nessesary (for example usaclown wrote: "you will have a sore back to go along with your sorry face") That's going a little overboard don't you think?

It's no secret who I am and where I train, so you all know where my loyalties lie. I am good friends and room mates with Chuck so I want to see him succeed. But I know Jimmy is a very respectable and successful competitor. Their are many able competitors at that weight class but since this topic has changed to Jimmy vs. Chuck because everyone is acting like children I just thought I would remind all of you what classy competitors both of them are and that they will train their asses off for the trials and leave it all on the mat. And that's all that matters right. So everyone please take a walk or something to relax.

Go bowling!

lee, indeed you are right.
im done with the conversation. thanks for being a smart fella. =)

as for clown.. well, so be it.

-resnick

I have been lurking on these Judo threads for some time now trying to get a feel for the atmosphere. I have to tell you, not much has changed in the 31 years that I have been training and competing. The in-fighting and politics that poison USA Judo is horrific. There seems to be a "what can I get for me, or my dojo" mentality that will keep USA Judo at the bottom. This is reflected in the tone of some of the messages here. Unfortunately, this cancerous mentality has embedded itself into the coaching ranks sa well.

Having said that, it is my opinion that USA athletes are among the most fit athletes in the world. Recent research comparing USA athletes to international players bears this out. Psychologically and peak performance wise, they have work to do. Nevertheless, our squads have been void of depth for many years which has translated into poor showings internationally. I see this changing in the years to come.

Now that we are seeing some very talented depth, particularly at the 73k division, and I believe all of the athletes mentioned on this thread are outstanding competitors with tremendous promise, I want to applaud the fact that each has raised bar in their own way. The fact that we can compare and contrast at least a handful of players in one division speaks volumes for the fact that these particular players are doing what it takes to raise the overall level of their play.

I want to wish each and every player training for the trials, good luck!! I am for USA Judo......may the best player make our team!!

Peace..........Woof

Amen!

usaclown email me @ Judo_349@hotmail.com

"if you want to be critical of somebody's performance at the world championships you need to take all things into consideration. which, naturally you dont unless it has anything to do with putting all your support behind pedro or morris."

....Sigh..... Once AGAIN Josh you have completly missed the point. I didn't critisize anyones perfermance, I simply stated that based on his performance There is nothing that would lead me to believe he can be an Olympic medal contender. I have never said 'yay' or 'nay' about Jason Morris OR Jimmy Pedro....What are you talking about? Are these two on your brain 24/7?

"then again, dont take my word for it.. come on out here and see for yourself."

Why are you so insecure? You are acting like some big bully at the playground.

"and, i brought up the other divisions becuase you see it fit to put down everybody in the US all the time. personally, id love to see you put your fuckin big mouth on the mat sometime..."

What are you talking about? I haven't put anyone down, certainly not Americans.

"you are really tough with your little troll buddies on here, but im positive you amount to nothing more than a has-been or never-was who cant accept it."

If in fact i am a "has been, never was, never will be"...I have no problem accepting who I am in my place, which you clearly have trouble with. You seem to get your undies in a bunch anytime someone states facts or an opinion that you don't agree with.

I forgot to give my prediction. I predict Jimmy Pedro will represent the USA in 2004. Jimmy's ability to pick apart any opponent, WHEN IT COUNTS, will be the deciding factor at the trials. I haven't seen many other players as tactically superior as Jimmy Pedro. The rest of the players in the 73k class are hot-and-cold at best. When they are hot, they rock. When they aren't, it isn't pretty. Jimmy's also got one of the premier coaches/fathers in the game.

Now, I reserve the right to be wrong.......and for all of you San Jose State Studs, I would delight in you putting my prediction to shame.

Peace

judodog.. i do agree with your prediction actually, in part. IF the others dont go in there knowing exactly what they plan to do and in the best shape of their lives then, shy of a great counter or something, i absolutely give the edge to jimmy if for no other reason then he has to lose 3 times in 1 day.

the issue with TW and clown isnt one of a prediction. its one of their constant downtalking about the others and their unwillingness to stop hiding behind their bullshit.

we all have our predictions and we all should have them. thats natural and fair. nobody SHOULD mean any bad intent or harm over their predictions, it isnt putting one guy down to think that another can do well. again, what TW and clown are doing though is putting the others down when it isnt necessary.

-resnick

Yeah, I have been watching. DOn't be unbalanced by their tactics. And Josh my friend you are totally correct. Any player wishing to unseat Jimmy Pedro had better have done his homework, and then some. If anyone can do it, the crew and coaches at SJSU can. I would not put much credence into the fact that Jimmy has been beaten because when he brings his "A" game, he's impressive, and as JUDODAVE has stated, he's a consummate student of the game (the entire game down to the smallest detail). I was fortunate enough to have watched him fight in Barcelona and Atlanta.

Either way you slice it.........the trials will be fantastic and I wish them all the best!!

Judo........Peace

The guys from the US have been competing against Pedro for several years (or least several years in the past). IMHO, this gives them an advantage over somebody who has maybe met up with him 3 or 4 times internationally. You know, you learn what people are going to do when you play them a lot. In other words, I think that US players will play better against him than foreign players. Or at least that seems to be the case, as he has earned 70 pts on the roster in less than 1 year. Has that ever been done before?

I think he is going to have a tough time with whoever meets him in the finals at the trials for sure. If he wins though, I think his chances are high at the Olympics for gold.

Can't wait to see what happens...

RonB

we all have our predictions and we all should have them. thats natural and fair. nobody SHOULD mean any bad intent or harm over their predictions, it isnt putting one guy down to think that another can do well. again, what TW and clown are doing though is putting the others down when it isnt necessary.

-resnick

hahahahahahaha well if it isn't the black kettle.... "TW fuck you ! fuck off you jock rider, usa clown go fuck yourself stay out of it, yuko fuck off, judo playa your head is up your ass....jason morris and jimmy pedro fans are all brown nosers anyone who likes them is a troll"

i'm sorry josh, WHAT were you saying about unnecesarrily putting others down?

"gee officer, i beat my kid cause he was really askin' for it ! ...got to keep him in his place..."

wow you have over 3,000 posts...you must have a alot of spare time on your hands....how do you squeeze judo practice in? do you like check in the morning when you wake up...check after breakfast...check before you leave for work...check as soon as you get home...check when you get up to go the the bathhroom in the middle of the night.....or do you just carry around a laptop? you avg. posts are all novels...even if they were all just 300 words...that's close to a million words you have wrote on here...keep going man!

TW. i never once said anything about jimmy and jason's fan base being brownnosers. i said YOU were because you continually put down the abilities of the others in the division eventhough it is the deepest category in the US, by far.

hell, im a fan of jimmy and jason. they are great athleres with great ability. jason has turned into a great coach and i applaud him for it. jimmy is just the consummate hard woker and nobody can ever say a bad thing about what he's done.

again.. it isnt the pot calling anything black. you are just too stupid to see that my problem lies with YOU (yourself and clown, not yuko) and the way you came on the site and immediately began to bash everything that wasnt 100% pro-jimmy and jason.

deal with it.

and, yea.. i post a lot on the OG too. its a form of entertainment for me. since you care so much, my general posting hours are in the morning before classes and the afternoon after classes. rarely do i post anything at night becuse that's the time i spend with the lady. classes are out now, so until my wife's vacation comes im more or less bored as can be around the house awaiting surgery..

i still very much have a life.
but, im glad you care so much. makes me all warm and tingly inside. =)
-resnick

I post a lot also because it is more entertaining than most of the crap on television.

I'm all for the underdog so I think it would be potent if Pedro could be gunned down by Jefferson, Reser or whoever for a slot on the squad.

I'm totally behind forum bruzes like Resnick, Serbin and Jefferson and am a big fan of theirs. I hope they kick ass everytime they compete in shiai.

"as he has earned 70 pts on the roster in less than 1 year. Has that ever been done before?"

Good question. Anyone know?

Josh, you should really just print out TW's posts and read them before tournaments as motivation :) That would be the ultimate irony if Josh, focusing his TW rage on his opponents, comes out and wins Olympic gold next year. You can spin anything for positive use if you want to.

what jimmy has done with points in the year is pretty remarkable. i think that under the old point system he would have about 55 or something, which he has done before.

after his knee injury (that kept him out of the 97 worlds) and before winning the worlds it wouldnt shock me if he would have had something like +/- 100 points on the new system.. mainly becuase of the A+ category we didnt have before, those are worth 4x.

-resnick

"Dang. All this arguing over what? Come on guys. Why don't we wait and see. The 73kg division, like many others in the country is packed with talented guys. Of course there are favorites and there are underdogs. It wouldn't be a sport otherwise. And of course all of you have your friends or training mates that you are pulling for. That doesn't mean you have to go at each other on a website about it. "

Thanks Lee for being an example of maturity here, despite the fact I am pretty sure your are younger than any of the other guys making posts.

It's difficult to express opinions about the USA athletes that are competing for the spots in the various weight divisions in the USA without riling somebody up. Everybody knows everybody, often personally or as teammates, as it is a small crowd competing at the top. That is one big reason I have refrained from commenting about any one particular perosns chances, despite the fact I do have pretty definite opinions on the matter.

We should be able to express our opinions respectfully, regardless. It's easy to be a smartass, or take a jab at somebody online, especially if you are annonymous. Doing so is in my opinion the sign of a weak and lazy mind. Being rude is the easy way out.

Consider how you would act in person, to their face before you write flammatory comments here.

Ben Reinhardt