Double End Bag TME

I'm getting a double end bag this week and putting it in the garage.

What are some drills you guys use with it?

What's a good way to start? Phone Post 3.0

Slowly. It's the only way to start. Not being a smart ass but a lot if guys go at it hung hi and end up frustrated. Take your time Phone Post 3.0

I agree with that. Make sure 1. You have it set at the proper height and 2. You have it set at the proper tension.

The DEB or Floor-to-ceiling bag is not a power bag where you develop your strength and power on it. Of course the purpose is to learn to hit a moving target and not get hit in return to develop your timing, rhythm and accuracy. You should have an area marked out around the bag where you need to move inside (in other words, stepping off the bag defeats the point to some degree. You don't step backward in boxing, so you don't do it with the DEB.)

You start with a jab. Then a double jab. Work on moving your head on balance, shoulder rolling, (catching parrying once in a while) and counter punching.

Then you add in your 1-2 a 1-1-2 or just a right straight. Once you get good you can add int some hooks like a left hook and a right straight. Don't kill the bag. You need to just focus on hitting the bag and staying on balance and not getting hit on the return. Have fun!

Thanks guys!
VU Phone Post 3.0

I will add it is super important that the movement of the DEB be minimal. It should only move the distance of an actual opponents head as if they were slipping and rolling.

I've been to gyms and attended seminars where the DEB's would move almost 2 feet in every direction.

That's what's confusing to me.

Pacquiao hits the bag and its really stiff, only moves a foot at the most.

Then I watch a vid of Shane Mosley hitting the DEB and that thing is flying all over the room! Phone Post 3.0

The great Joe Lewis, the kickboxer not the boxer, was adamant abut the bag moving in a realistic fashion. My first experience with the bag was the loose kind. Then Joe would show you his "tight" method and it was like "oh light bulb".

Weldon says to keep it loose with a wide rhythm when training to fight most styles except the "fighter" style, where it should be tight and short. Phone Post

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r1p6JCWeUJ8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dr1p6JCWeUJ8

Joe Calzaghe on the double end bag, solid connections with great timing and rhythm. That bag was an integral part of joes training, he hated sparring and rarely did it. Phone Post

I've been mostly doing jabs and straight right, just trying to pick up the rhythm as I get to know the bag.

What kind of drills do you guys do with the DEB? Phone Post 3.0

i need to get one of these for my home gym...

BshMstr - i need to get one of these for my home gym...
Do it man, Im still getting the hang of mine, but it's A LOT of fun! Phone Post 3.0

^i used to train on one, but haven't for several years...

it really helped my ability to strike while staying in the pocket..

Okay I've got a question for the double end experts here.

Is the bag suppose to swing in a straight line (away from you and right back to you)

Or swing in a circular motion (swinging around like a merry go-round)

Or both? I can keep it straight if I just jab over and over but when I mix in a right hand it sends it swinging around in a circular motion that is hard to break out of unless I wait for it or physically stop it. Phone Post 3.0

gage949 - Okay I've got a question for the double end experts here.

Is the bag suppose to swing in a straight line (away from you and right back to you)

Or swing in a circular motion (swinging around like a merry go-round)

Or both? I can keep it straight if I just jab over and over but when I mix in a right hand it sends it swinging around in a circular motion that is hard to break out of unless I wait for it or physically stop it. Phone Post 3.0

Should be in line with the fixtures when you connect, especially if you are changing the angle of the punch.

Practice. Phone Post

Might be too slack mate, mine does do that a bit I suppose but you just kind of punch it back into position lol. Phone Post

Thanks man VU Phone Post 3.0

Focus on accuracy and use angles.Use your imagination and see the bag as a sparring partner or opponent. Don't wale on it like a punching bag. It's a tool to develop accuracy and timing. Observe Pacquioa

. Phone Post