Double-Leg Against A Swordsman

Mair's version of that Talhoffer move... and a piledriver!

Stickgrappler, from one FMA/Fencer to another--THANK YOU!

TrueFight "He Just Learned Something" Scholar

Mair's double-leg w/the 2-hander, with a pommel strike counter to the back of the head/neck, perhaps??

From Mair--grasping an arm and executing a throw...

TFS,

not a prob! glad u got it. it's easy really.

i'm not a real fencer though. only took foil in college one semester. that should not make me a fencer.

From the 15th century "Goliath" fechtbuch (Swiss illustrations)--One cool way of "persuading" your opponent to just go with that throw/takedown...Stickgrappler,Thanks again, bro. One semester of foil? Fair enough, sir--I should have just said "FMA guy"--my apologies :-)

actually, i don't really think of myself as an FMA guy also :-)

forgot, which FMA style/system do you practice?

I believe it may be a composite system--we use a 28" stick and hold it with about a fist's-length of punyo. I'll ask my teacher and get back to you on that.

many of the american taught fma systems/styles have a fist length punyo and also use 28". i used to train with this length. lately, tried the sticks from www.bloodsport.com - it's 31 or 32" long and thicker than normal 7/8". i think i got the 1 1/4" diameter or so. changed my training a bit, needed some getting used to swinging a longer and slightly heavier stick.

IIRC, that is about the fighting length that the DB use.

IBI, yes we are taught unarmed vs knife. Techniques involve closing in and attacking the weapon arm with armbars or hollowing out and armdragging. We also close right in and attack the throat. That's my prefered technique. He might get me, but I'm GOING to get him.

Oh wow, TFS! Great job! How did you get the HTML??

You've got the power too, bro! Give it a shot...

Where are the HTML instructions? I used to use them when I put up a pic.

Cool thread!

I don't know much about blades or weapons in general, but from a practical standpoint I'd say that TFS is correct about the length of the weapon / takedown. The longer the blade the better ones chance of not getting slashed / stabbed during the takedown I would think.

Ye Lunatic, I don't think Kirik ever put the html instructions back up. There can be some found on the "Test Delete Thread" thread and stickgrappler has some on his site, I've also seen tips on the errors & suggestions forum.

Mark

It looks like it worked! Thanks, martinburke!

hatariyakufa..."It would seem to me there would be more practical things to do than go for single/double leg take downs against an armed oppenent"As TFS and scuffler pointed out - the length of the weapon is crucial. Shooting in on a guy with a knife or dagger is almost suicide. Even 16th century English weapons master George Silver says so in his "Brief Instructions" (referring to the dagger): "First know that to this weapon there belongs no wards or grips but against such a one as is foolhardy & will suffer himself to have a full stab in the face or body or hazard the giving of another, then against him you may use your left hand in throwing him aside or strike up his heels after you have stabbed him."In other words, Silver is assuming here that your opponent has a dagger as well. If he is foolish enough to try and close with you (perhaps grab you) he will open himself up for a stab to the face or body. If he puts himself in danger when he tries to attack you with his weapon, use your off hand to parry, and counter attack his opening with your weapon. After you have effectively stabbed him (assuming his weapon is isolated or dropped) then you may trip him to the ground.If you look at all of the above pics dealing with this subject, you will see that all of the shoots or grips are being done on an opponent with a bastard sword (hand-and-a-half) or a two-handed sword. When you are that close to an opponent with a weapon that long, he can no longer use it effectively to stab or cut you.

Speaking in Paul Vunak's defence again (since I feel I slightly misrepresented his views in my first post), he's talking about a low double-leg. Probably more like the move Clugston calls 'the dive', which is essentially a very low tackle.

scuffler,

I knew you'd like this Medieval/Renaissance grappling stuff--I may start another thread with pics of unarmed wrestling.

Stay tuned...

TFS