Dream Tournament Preview

Is the first ever Dream event really a dream? Yes and no. Although the card for Heiwa Dream 1 Lightweight Grand Prix 2008 1st Round includes two-time K-1 tournament champion Gesias "JZ" Calvancanti, snake-legged tormentor Shinya Aoki and former Bodog Fight champion Eddie Alvarez, it is noticeably lacking a few key names that prevent it from achieving true fantasy status.

Topping the list of those conspicuously absent are B.J. Penn and Sean Sherk, who are tied up in the UFC, as well as Takanori Gomi, who fought for World Victory Road just last week. A real dream lightweight tournament would include them, along with Bruce Lee and pro wrestling legend Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka.

Unfortunately, despite the name, Dream is constrained by the obstacles of reality, like legal contracts, injuries and time. Otherwise, fans would be treated to a tournament that truly determines the top lightweight fighter in the world, plus a bonus match between Mike Tyson and a young Muhammad Ali... It is a dream, after all.

Gesias "JZ" Calvancanti vs. Shinya Aoki

Calvancanti has won two straight K-1 tournaments and is one of the favorites to win the first Dream tournament as well. But fighting Aoki is like falling head first into a bag of snakes. A master of the "rubber guard," Aoki's leg flexibility and predilection towards wearing ankle-length spandex pants make him a dangerous opponent for anyone. If "JZ" can keep out of Aoki's guard, he stands a good chance of making it into the next round. Otherwise, he might be forced to tap out with a rainbow-colored bowtie cutting off circulation to his brain.

Read the rest here ...

http://nation.bodoglife.com/fight-files/dream-lightweight-grand-prix-432628.html

Your writing keeps getting better.... even if I disagree on couple of those predictions..

Great read  as usual.

http://nation.bodoglife.com/fight-files/dream-lightweight-grand-prix-432628.html

Thanks dude. Let's hope you get more fights right than I do!

ttt for actual fight talk

Those can barely even be considered "predictions", IMO.  I think you left yourself quite a bit of wiggle room, wouldn't you say wombat?

Either way, you are by far my favorite MMA writer. 

ttt for the rest of the Article later!