DRM=No More Recording PPV Events

The eventual aim of DRM is not 'protecting copyright'. It's turning all forms of content into PPV.

Take a look at HDMI (the new all singing HDTV interface). Yes it looks all snappy and has the audio on the one cable. But HDMI is designed to work only with other 'approved' HDMI devices so that the data is always encrypted and DRM covered. You won't be able to capture the 'analog' hole, because there won't be one or you'll have to do some awesome reverse engineering to fool a HDMI video card into beleiving that your DVR-R, Software etc is actually a legit HDMI receiver.

The Web PPV scenario is poor form. I can sort of understand why they do it though. DRM is broken quicker than it it can be relied upon (hence Windows DRM11 now). If they let you keep the PPV with a long-term licence, eventually the crypt will be broken and it'll end up on the net. Thus 'hurting' DVD revenue.

Personally, I feel a little ripped off when I pay US$40 for a low-quality PPV (600kbps works out to about VHS resolution) that isn't as reliable as it could be (it was obvious that the encoder failed at several points during UFC66) and that I can't 'legally' record.

Image:Kimbo.jpg

Copyright Nigga!

UFC = Ultimate Fuckin Cheapskates

um...im sure all u guys mean that you 'theoretically' have burned it to
dvd... of course, right?

just because it waould be a shame for dana to come after loyal UG'ers
who have supported the sport, just to make a few more dollars... not
that he would do that of course...

Here's one for Zuffa. I would be happy paying the Web PPV price (without being able to record) if I could watch the prelims first.

No offense intended - but Smokin' Guns is iincorrect.

A little info.....

DRM stands for "Digital Rights Management" which is different than copy protection.

Conventional copy protection is embeded in media like VHS tapes and DVD disks and causes signal degradation when the video signal is serialized (transmittedbetween machines).

DRM takes a varity of forms but most work by embeding information in the media file or stream.

This addition DRM Data is read by the consuming device (Tivo, DVD Recorder, Computer, etc.)

The DEVICE makes the decision to disalow recording.

Now I DO NOT advocate violating copywrite protection but I also believe taht I have the right to re-watch media that I pay for (like UFC PPV).

Some devices support some DRM schemes and some do not.

I have 3 DVD recorders (meaning not computer DVD-Rs) and one of them supports most DRM, one supports only Macrovision Copy Protection and one lets me copy anythign I want, copy protection or not.

In addition, they are a wide variety of hardware and software solutions that make it possible to seperate the AV stream from the DRM data and record only the AV data.

It is likely that if you buy the STREAMING version of the PPV to watch on your computer you will need some tools and expertise to sucessfully record the copy protected stream, but to my knowledge, no consumer DVD Recorders support cable brodcast DRM schemes, so - at least for the predictable future if you have a cable account and a DVD-R recorder you will be able to save your event just fine.

I've been recording UFC evens since UFC-1 and have never had a probelm with the recordings.

I have rewatched 65 & 66 which came out fine.

The exception to this is with services like TiVo. In this case there is some truth to what Smokin'Guns says above.

You should assume that when you are using a CableBox Recorder like TiVo, that everythong you record is available to your service provider. The technology already exists to prevent you from using a TiVo like device from recording any event they wish to exclude you from.

-Joe

Recorded mine just fine.

mine recorded fine and is also on dvd now.

check your wiring maybe

Very good info posted by Joe Stranger.

I will add one other bit with regard to Tivo (DirecTivo)..when you purchase the event and your receiver/DVR becomes "authorized", the interface screen allows you to view, or view and record. Ifyou choose the view and record, and you have a compatible dvd recorder, you are fine...however, as Joe Stranger posted, don't think for a second that this info is not being collected. What they do with that info in the future is debatable (but probably not good for those wanting to record).

"however I have ALWAYS taped it and put it in my fight collection for future reference. It's just something that I've been doing since 1993......"

I hear you man, but the internet is your collection now. I threw out a few trashbags full of vhs fight tapes a few years ago and never looked back

JawBreakerJimmy, you don't want to correct the spelling "moran" here. It's an inside joke of the forum to misspell it.

I guess that tells us who the "moran" is, don't it?

lol

Bumch Morans on here..

"DRM=No More Recording PPV Events"

Huh...Guess we're screwed now..:(

"Recorded mine just fine."

Me too...

Get a DVR box and stfu

I have a question for those that burn to DVD. My DVR is old and when I pull the files from it, they pull in MPG format. What is the best way to convert to DVD?

Many thanks in advance.

MPG to DVD

Thank you EvilMaster. I greatly appreciate it.