Drugs Ruined the Holmes-Tyson Generation of HWs

I boxed out of the same program for a while as Tommy and can testify to his less than dilligent training ways. I have lived in Vegas for a decade though and been around boxing for 20 plus years and he is still the best athlete that I have ever seen in the gym. Phone Post

dom1n1c - 
sgotwalks - I would still take all of those guys and their addictions over today's crop of...................well, of nothing. Where in the fuck are all the heavyweights???

Playing football, making millions.

Truth!

Dumb young kid has some success.... gets told he is the greatest... gets a ton of money and women given to him..... the drugs soon come.....

Its all in the guidence!

Here's a Morrison story....apparently when he was living in KC he was scheduled to do an radio interview...he no showed. When his handlers became concerned they went to his crib(they had a key)went inside...and as he described it(one of my trainers that knew people in the camp)"there were naked bitches passed out everywhere like laundry...said it looked like a Conan movie. They found Tommy butt naked sprawled out face up on the sofa with blood dried on his face and chest from doing so much Coke the night before. The woke him and he acted like it was no big deal. Phone Post

Gerry Cooney was downing a fifth of whiskey every night during Holmes training camp. He had awesome power but was new of a made fighter than born fighter. Phone Post

That was an awesome Morrison story... do you have any more?

BL, Cooney had lethal power in his left hand. I think that his handlers may have pushed him into that title fight w/ Holmes too quickly. He wasn't as mentally ready as he should've been for a fight of that magnitude.

I always liked Cooney. First, people saw him as a great white hope, something which he never wanted to be seen as. Second, anyone who apologizes to his fans after a loss is all right in my book.

ron den otter - That was an awesome Morrison story... do you have any more?

BL, Cooney had lethal power in his left hand. I think that his handlers may have pushed him into that title fight w/ Holmes too quickly. He wasn't as mentally ready as he should've been for a fight of that magnitude.

I always liked Cooney. First, people saw him as a great white hope, something which he never wanted to be seen as. Second, anyone who apologizes to his fans after a loss is all right in my book.

Gentleman Gerry is one of the most appropriate names in the sport. He's one of the good guys. Holmes (another good guy) and Foreman (a third good guy, but Tyson doesn't agree, he thinks Foreman is the same surly guy he was in the 60s) both say he was the hardest puncher they ever faced. He was in no way ready for Holmes, nor would he ever have been, but they had to strike while the iron was hot and almost killing Ken Norton made Cooney look like the second coming of Dempsey to the white boxing fan who wanted a HW champion who looked like them. The purse was too much to pass up and his handlers did the right thing for getting him max money and setting him up for life. Holmes told Cooney "If you knew how bad you shook me in the second round and went for the kill, you'd be the champ."

The hype led Holmes to rise to the occasion and demand respect and led Gerry to the bottle to silence the pressure.

Dont forget the bid Morrison did in Texarkana...

Cocaine is a helluva drug Phone Post

some of those should read.....

Coke / & Coke Whores......a particularly toll taking combination

Cooney is a good dude

wpipes - Here's a Morrison story....apparently when he was living in KC he was scheduled to do an radio interview...he no showed. When his handlers became concerned they went to his crib(they had a key)went inside...and as he described it(one of my trainers that knew people in the camp)"there were naked bitches passed out everywhere like laundry...said it looked like a Conan movie. They found Tommy butt naked sprawled out face up on the sofa with blood dried on his face and chest from doing so much Coke the night before. The woke him and he acted like it was no big deal. Phone Post

Thanks man. Moar? Please? Phone Post