Edgar Retirement Fight with Cruz : DC Says Nope

Former UFC dual-weight champion Daniel Cormier isn’t a fan of the proposed Frankie Edgar vs. Dominick Cruz fight.

‘The Answer’ has been out of the cage since his knockout loss to Marlon Vera at UFC 268 last November. The defeat was the fourth, in the last five contests for Edgar. Recently, the 40-year-old announced that he would retire later this year.
However, the former UFC lightweight champion would like one more fight. Edgar stated that his ideal retirement fight would be against another former titleholder, Dominick Cruz. ‘The Dominator’ is currently set to face Marlon Vera next month. If unscathed, Edgar would like to fight Cruz in November at Madison Square Garden at UFC 281.

UFC Hall of Famer Daniel Cormier isn’t a fan of the proposed fight. The former dual-weight champion discussed the proposed matchup on the DC & RC podcast. There, Cormier opined that the bout doesn’t make sense at this time.
The 43-year-old reasoned that at this point, Dominick Cruz and Frankie Edgar are in completely different spots. While the former is currently chasing another bantamweight title, the latter is admittedly about to retire.

“I tap out [on this fight]. I believe that these guys are in different places in their careers. Dominick Cruz is fighting the three or four-ranked guy in the world. The guy still wants to become a champion, while Frankie is talking about a retirement fight.”

Daniel Cormier continued, “Frankie’s been great, we love Frankie and would love to see him compete again in New York City. But, I don’t need to see him fight against a contender. I need him to fight someone else and hope that he can get a victory on his way out of the door.”

Any suggestions for a good retirement fight for Edgar or is it sacrificial lamb time?

Dom isnt sniffing another title at this point.

Edit: Forgot the Munhoz fight so maybe a little harsh, but I still don’t see a title shot in his future.

3 Likes

He has a say?

3 Likes

Eh, Dom isn’t far off from retiring himself. If all parties want it then make it happen.

Let legends fight legends more often. Stop feeding them to killers on their way out.

6 Likes

If Dom loses his next fight against Vera, I can see it. But if he wins, he is in championship contender territory

2 Likes

Is Faber still around? That’d be a good one for Edgar.

5 Likes

Nah. Munhoz was that lone win for Frankie in his last 5 fights. Don’t let a win over Munhoz make you think Dom is sniffing another title. He’s not. The way I see it is if Vera soundly beats Dom then we have a Frankie vs Dom fight. It would make perfect sense then.

2 Likes

Dc is a fucking idiot. Dom is close to retirement and if he loses to vera it would be a perfect matchup. Ppl forget frankie was beating vera before that kick.

2 Likes

Frankie already beat him. I’d still watch though. Frankie has done enough for the UFC that he should be able to retire on a fight with another legend.

4 Likes

BJ Penn vs Frankie Edgar 4!!

3 Likes

You’re right. Maybe Cody Garbrandt? Outside of that, Edgar might have to go back up to 145 or 155 to find that kind of fight. Most of the legends of 135 are either still on top or fell off a long time ago. There really aren’t many that are in a spot similar to Edgar himself.

Edgar vs Guida at 155 is my choice for his retirement fight

3 Likes

Like DC’s fat ass can look at it objectively. He is too busy sniffing dagi balls to give a decent opinion.

1 Like

I bet Conor would be ready to fight Frankie now. Only conditions from Conor’s camp are that Frankie has to weigh in at BW like he has been doing and Conor is coming in at 171 lbs. Lets go, Conor is ready now, Denis Siver is no longer available, Frankie is in his crosshairs.

This was the confusing part, Dom may have less wear and tear but theyre both in the sunset phase.

Dom won his last two fights and has been stopped 1x in the last decade and has only lost 2x total.

Frankie just lost his last two fights and was TKOed in both of them and has been TKOed 4x in the past five years.

The Yair win is the only time in the last five years that Frankie was able to beat a younger fighter climbing the ranks.

I agree with DC and I know Cruz is looking for a much bigger fight next than Frankie.