Edmonton GI/No GI Tourny MARCH 13

The Mind Body Soul Grappling Tourny will be held on March 13 in Edmonton.

There will be both Gi and No Gi as well as absolute divisions. We are also adding a "B" side bracket for those who lose their first match so they can get more exp.

Divisions will be 6 months and under, 6 months to 2 years, and 2 years and over.

Hopefully we can get some of the newbies out.

Cost is still only $30 and there will be a $100 for the absolute winners.

Tourny is at 12730 St. Albert Trail. and weigh ins start at 11 am, tourny at noon.

Any questions check out www.arashido.com and look in the calender of events section. or you can email at snipergym@interbaun.com

Mike Yackulic

P.S. if any one can hook the website up to a link for me that would be great.

Hey, Mike!

Sounds great! I hope many people come out. BTW, what are the weight classes? Take care!

WILLIE

sounds really cool ,Mike!

TTT

Brad Cardinal

ttt for Mike!

For those interested in weight classes let's have a poll.

I was thinking of creating the weight classes the day of. This way I am hoping that we will be able to split them up into groups that are much closer together.

OR,

I can give you definte weight classes and try to rearrange divisions on the day.

For those that have been around for awhile you know that we are always mashing divisions together. I think that doing it the day of, while divisions might be weird... ie 167 - 184, 192-203. At least we can arrange it so you don't fight someone 15lbs more than you... I hope

I don't know..... any ideas out there?

Let the people speak.

Mike

ttt

TTT for Mike! Count us in!

AR

Sasci's fighters destroy all who stand in their path!!! except for the ones who have lost!!

TTT for tournaments!!!

hey Mike, just wondering if you have any posters or flyers for the event, i was hoping to put something up at my other jiu jitsu club

could you please post rules for me shootoguy Id be very intrested in trying the no gi division Ive never competed in a submission wrestling match.sounds fun!

Hey Guys, here are the rules... it's a little unothidox but it's pretty cool.

Hope your cardios ready

MIND.BODY.SOUL
SUBMISSION GRAPPLING
TOURNAMENT

WHEN: March 13, 2004

LOCATION: Edmonton Arashi-Do Martial Arts at the NEW location 12730 St.Albert Trail
Phone (780) 414-6513

TIME: Weigh-ins will begin at 11 am. Competition begins at Noon SHARP

There will be a Freestyle grappling division as well as a Gi division. The cost for ALL events is $30.
Spectators are welcome for $5. Cameras are welcome, however outlets are limited so please bring your batteries.

DIVISIONS for under 6 months(novice), under 2 years(int), and over 2 years(adv)
There will be Gi Novice/Int/Adv- Absolute GI Novice - Absolute Gi Advanced
No Gi Novice/Int/Adv Absolute No Gi Novice - Absolute No Gi Advanced
There will also be a B side bracket. If you lose your first match, you will still have an opportunity to gain more experience. If someone entered all the divisions and lost all of them they would still have fought 6 times.

MIND.BODY.SOUL Format

This tournament is held to test the competitors mind, body, and soul. Once a division begins it will not be stopped until there is a winner declared. All matches are set for 5 minutes. All competitors will begin their matches at the same time. At the end of the match the winner will be declared and there will be a 60 SECOND BREAK before the next match begins. The only way to receive a longer break is to submit your opponent early.
For example: If you manage to submit your opponent 2 minutes into your match. You will have a 3 ½ minute break before your next match. If it goes the distance you will have 30 seconds to get your water and get ready for your next fight. There will not be any ties. A match ending without a submission will be judged on points. If points are equal, it will be based on aggressiveness, by the judges discretion.

Under these rules the winner could have to grapple basically non-stop from start to finish.

RULES FOR GI AND FREESTYE DIVISIONS
All techniques are legal unless mentioned in the Illegal Technique section. Wrestling shoes are optional only in the freestyle division. Must have full gi to compete in gi division.

POINT STRUCTURE
Top position ( incl. Side, Scarf, knee, mount&) 2
Rear mount with hooks2
Reverse to a top position/ passing guard2
Takedown landing in guard2
Takedown landing in a top position4
Flying guard takedown- 1
Backing away from an opponents guard - 1
Avoiding contact while standing- 1
Stalling will be restarted standing up after 30 sec
Continuous stalling- 1

If an opponent is hugging while inside the guard and making no attempt to pass he will be warned to get busy and then deducted a point if he continues to stall.

RESTARTS
If the fighters go out of bounds the referee will restart them in the center in the same position. If fighters are standing or scrambling as they near the side they will be restarted standing.

ILLEGAL TECHNIQUES:

NO-STRIKING OF ANY KIND
BITING, HAIR PULLING, OR SCRATCHING
SLAMMING AN OPPONENT IN YOUR GUARD
DROPPING SOMEONE ON THEIR HEAD& ie via takedown
FINGER OR TOE LOCKS
TWISTING KNEE LOCKS ie Heel hooks
FINGERS ON OPPONENTS FACE
KNEES, SHINS, OR ELBOWS ON OPPONENTS FACE
GRABBING THE OPPONENTS THROAT, EARS, HAIR OR NOSE

There will be NO WARNINGS for first infractions. Referees will disqualify anyone who intentionally commits a foul.

WINNERS WILL BE DECLARED BY:
SUBMISSION
DISQUALIFICATION OF OPPONENT

WEIGHT CLASSES
165 lbs AND UNDER
166 185 lbs
186 210 lbs
211 lbs AND UP

EXPERIENCE DIVISIONS
Novice- less than 6 months grappling experience
Intermediate- 6 months to 2 years
Advanced- 2 years and up

Female divisions will be made on the day of the tournament

Although the format and divisions may seem ackward, they have a purpose. The rules are in place to prevent stalling, promote submissions, and make the matches more exciting. Scores will be visible throughout the matches in view of the fighters. We reserve the right to change weight classes to fit the number of fighters. The introduction of a beginner division is to promote more interest in the sport. Sand bagging will NOT be tolerated. Please use this as an opportunity to get your newer students a chance to get some experience as the focus is on the development of the mind, body, and soul, as well as being a fun tournament.

If you would like to volunteer your time for judging or time/scorekeeping, please email me back at snipergym@interbaun.com or call (780) 414-6513 and talk to Mike.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Thank you
Mike Yackulic

Hey Brian I think we have some stuff on the website. If not email me and I send you out something

www.arshido.com
snipergym@interbaun.com

shootguy are you aloud keylocking the foot or stopper toeholds in your rules it says no toelocks but stoppertoehold and keylocking the foot is a type of footlock you grab the top of the foot where the toes are and lock the tendons and bones in place as you crank,are these 2 moves aloud.

That is the best damn format I've seen for a grappling tourney. We'll see how it works!

Hey mrmeoggi, A keylock of the foot, or stopper toehold are the same as the toelock I am familiar with.

To lessen the chances of injury we do not allow twisting of the foot as it leads into rotation of the knee.

Straight footlocks are legit, and possibly one day we will allow them in the adv. divisions.

Thanks for the questions.

Mike

thanks for the info shooto guy!

ttt

ttt