Ellenberger: I can definitely beat GSP

Lol he couldnt beat condit Phone Post

who thought it was a good idea to film outside by the ocean?  all i can hear is the wind and waves

Shields won rounds.... Yes it did happen, dry those eyes sweetheart Phone Post

Ellenberger definitely fits the mold of guys that can beat gsp. He's still kind of unrefined, though. Doesn't practice good fundamentals in the middle of firefights, gets sucked into brawls, doesn't play to his strengths, depends on his natural attributes too much, etc. Phone Post

whats he supposed to say ?

pharochuck - 
SinCityHustler -  Ellenberger presents a lot of problems for GSP.   He cqan wrestle and he hits hard. 

not able to really follow what you are saying. what do you see unique about his wrestling that could cause anymore problems than past challengers?

His wrestling stance is VERY strong, (perhaps the strongest in the welter weight division).  Huge power in the hips and that allows him to down block take down attempts.  This leaves him in good position following the failed take down attempt and his opponent in poor position.  The fact that he has big power in his hands makes him a danger to end the fight at any time.  it's not like he needs to set things up or find the perfect position to execute from.  He can hurt you at any time.  Combine those two and it makes it very difficult for GSP to fight his fight.  GSP wants to finesse you and generally for a duration of 25 minutes.  That leaves a great deal of opportunity for Ellenberger to end the fight.  It's not a foregone conclusion that GSP will be able to take him down.  Ellenberger probably wont bother with taking GSP down and instead opt to stand and take his chances there.   

ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun - 
SinCityHustler -  Ellenberger presents a lot of problems for GSP.   He cqan wrestle and he hits hard.  For those of you saying that no one can win rounds agaisnt GSP, keep in mind that in none of his losses, has a single round been scored.  The rounds hardly matter if Ellenberger drops the hammer on him.  Experienced MMA fans know this.  

GSP was a kid when he was finished by Serra.People forget how young he was

He was the reigning welter weight champion fighting a journeymen, coming up a weight class.  What exactly did his youth have to do with it?  He got hit and he didn't like it.  

nope, GSP out wrestles him easily.

Ellenberger has a very good chance of beating GSP. In fact, I wouldn't even regard it as a huge upset. You really have to analyze this matchup objectively without letting GSP's resume/glamor/aura/PPV status/extraneous stuff affect your thought process...

Diaz and Condit are credible threats too though. I fully expect GSP to lose within his next 3 fights.

This thread really sheds light on members, who really understand MMA, and who are clueless.

I don't care if this comes across condescending, it's the truth. If you don't see how Ellenberger is a real dangerous oppoenent for GSP, then you don't know MMA.

If you are a GSP fan, you should fear the prospect of Ellenberger getting a title shot.

Between Diaz, Condit and Ellenberger, I give Ellenberger the best chance of beating GSP and it's a very realistic chance.  Diaz has the next best chance of winning but for him Georges has to stumble in some fashion.  Perhaps get tired, injured, laxidasical.  Happened to him against Shields, Alves, Penn 1, Hughes 1, Serra 1, so it does happen.  Given an opening like those above listed, Diaz pounces on GSP and makes him quit.  Condit is dangerous and has a number of ways to win but most likely GSP blankets him for 25 minutes and escapes with a snoozer decision.    

SinCityHustler -  Between Diaz, Condit and Ellenberger, I give Ellenberger the best chance of beating GSP and it's a very realistic chance.  Diaz has the next best chance of winning but for him Georges has to stumble in some fashion.  Perhaps get tired, injured, laxidasical.  Happened to him against Shields, Alves, Penn 1, Hughes 1, Serra 1, so it does happen.  Given an opening like those above listed, Diaz pounces on GSP and makes him quit.  Condit is dangerous and has a number of ways to win but most likely GSP blankets him for 25 minutes and escapes with a snoozer decision.    

Read my mind like a book.

Great breakdown of Ellenberger's base, SinCityHustler! Very refreshing

Thank you.   I began wrestling when I was 8 years old.  I'm 40 now and I still wrestle, (will be at Veteran's nationals in April).  

Powerful hips are a big part of being a successful wrestler.  GSP has the level change and timing down.  If he catches you out of position, there's no stopping his take down.  But if Ellenberger maintains his powerful base and cautiously walks GSP down, he will absolutely be able to stuff the take down attempt and then rough GSP up on the way out.  That's not to say that Ellenberger easily wins and the fight is automatically his, what it means is that his biggest strength will be seriously challenged and it will leave him in the danger zone as long as Ellenberger continues to stuff his shots.  

Koscheck is a great MMA wrestler and very tough to take down.  He stuffed or shrugged off a number of GSP attempts in fight #2 and that was with one eye completely closed.  But I'm not sure that Kos would win the take down battle with Ellenberger.  Obviously setting it up is a big part of it but all things being equal, I think Ellenberger stuffs him more often that not and manages to get his own take down attempts off.  That's the level that Ellenberger is at IMO.    

Mad Dangler -
Figaro - And I can be the queen of England. It always ticks me off hearing fighters say oh i can beat (insert god tier fighters). Its naive and arrogant there's a reason why said person hasnt lost. Because they're unbeatable. Wish fighters would know their role and say, " you know what? I can't beat (insert god tier fighter)" it makes them look less like tools.

I get what your saying but I don't agree. If they didn't think they could beat the champion then why fight no ones looking to be number two. Look at mike Chandler vs Eddie alveraz, sonnen silva. Phone Post

Agreed Phone Post

SinCityHustler -  Ellenberger presents a lot of problems for GSP.   He cqan wrestle and he hits hard.  For those of you saying that no one can win rounds agaisnt GSP, keep in mind that in none of his losses, has a single round been scored.  The rounds hardly matter if Ellenberger drops the hammer on him.  Experienced MMA fans know this.  

"He can wrestle and he hits hard"?

Kos can wrestle better and hit harder. Remember how the fight between Kos and GSP went?

SinCityHustler - 
pharochuck - 
SinCityHustler -  Ellenberger presents a lot of problems for GSP.   He cqan wrestle and he hits hard. 
not able to really follow what you are saying. what do you see unique about his wrestling that could cause anymore problems than past challengers?

His wrestling stance is VERY strong, (perhaps the strongest in the welter weight division).  Huge power in the hips and that allows him to down block take down attempts.  This leaves him in good position following the failed take down attempt and his opponent in poor position.  The fact that he has big power in his hands makes him a danger to end the fight at any time.  it's not like he needs to set things up or find the perfect position to execute from.  He can hurt you at any time.  Combine those two and it makes it very difficult for GSP to fight his fight.  GSP wants to finesse you and generally for a duration of 25 minutes.  That leaves a great deal of opportunity for Ellenberger to end the fight.  It's not a foregone conclusion that GSP will be able to take him down.  Ellenberger probably wont bother with taking GSP down and instead opt to stand and take his chances there.   

Once again, allow me to refer you to the GSP vs Kos fight. The description you offer of Ellenberger fits Kos exactly. So we've already seen your argument in action. It didn't turn out the way you wrote it up. Ellenberger, like virtually everyone else, has no more than a punchers chance.

I hope he keeps thinking that. I love to see the look of every fighter after they fight GSP. They always look like somebody just stole their birthday. Phone Post

Bipolar - 
SinCityHustler - 
pharochuck - 

Once again, allow me to refer you to the GSP vs Kos fight. The description you offer of Ellenberger fits Kos exactly. So we've already seen your argument in action. It didn't turn out the way you wrote it up. Ellenberger, like virtually everyone else, has no more than a punchers chance.

You don't understand wrestling very well.  You can't see the glaring differences between Kos and Ellenberger.  In your world, no wrestler can out do another's effort/performance.  Everything is black and white, there are no variables.  Fair enough, continue believing that.  

What are you even talking about? I don't understand the glaring differences between Kos and Ellenberger? I don't believe one wrestler can out perform another? What the hell are you talking about? Slow down on the PBR. I'm afraid you're the one who is clearly blind here. I'll take Kos over Ellenberger in wrestling. I think most people would agree. I'll also take Kos' power over Ellenberger's. While we're at it, I'll take Kos' ring savy and experience and better refined all aroung game over Ellenberger's, too. These two have the same strengths, although Kos is stronger in both of these primary areas (i.e., wrestling and power). Thus, if Kos was dominated by GSP, what can Ellenberger offer that Kos didn't? Seems pretty clear cut. We have already basically seen GSP vs Ellenberger when GSP thumped Kos.