escape from Kesaketamae(sp)

A foot-in-the-belt technique is on one of the Pedro Carvalho tapes. In a tight kesa I could never get my foot up that far to get much leverage. Also it's fine for a BJJ competition but illegal in a judo comp. (Article 27-xvi)

The foot does not go IN the belt, it goes ON the belt ends or the gi-skirt, completely legal. You can also grab the belt and put your foot on YOUR wrist and push.

OK; thanks for the clarification guys.

These all sound good, and some are stuff i have never heard of, and am looking foreward to trying.. but...is there some thing i am missing on bridge and roll? That seems like the easiest, but has proven to be the most difficult. Bridge into his back, and roll the other way(seems hard with a heavy), or grab him, and try and bridge back, towards both of your heads( feels like trying to pick up a harley). I am missing something obvious here, so feel free to up date me. thanks again.

"I am missing something obvious here, so feel free to up date me."

One good way to bridge and roll if uki is on your right side (assume that your head is pointing to 12 o'clock):

1. Turn into the uki and lock your hands together as BIC describes(some people prefer to grab the belt, gi, etc.)

2. Push into the uki. Basically you want him to worry about losing the pin so he pushes back into you, trying to keep you down. You must use the momentum he creates from trying to push you back down (timing is critical).

3. AS SOON AS he pushes into you, bridge and roll. DON'T roll toward 3 o'clock! Think of bringing him over your left shoulder toward the 1 o'clock position.

If you get the timing and direction down, then the escape will come a lot easier and it won't feel like your tring to "pick up a harley."

. . .

The best escape from kesa is simply prevention. If you feel someone moving to kesa, turn to your side, and pull your near elbow in so they don't get control of the arm. Once someone has good control of that arm, it can be a bitch to escape the pin--if they don't have control of the arm, it is fairly easy to escape.

just as RG just explained you would be foolish to bridge and pull all his weight across your body.

Again assuming your right arm has been captured and you either grab your wrist or belt, bridge and pull directly over your head, as you feel his weight shift, start to roll up and over to your free shoulder (in my mind the motion of the roll is like a 90 degree arc from the center line of your head to the perpendicular of your shoulder)

It works. I use it against really big guys (250+) all the time. (granted once its been done to them, they get a little smarter, a little deeper, a little better base) but that's when you use the other methods like swinging your leg over etc, to loosen them up and hit it again.

If you grab the belt you get more leverage for the lift-pull.

BRIDGE AND ROLL TECHNIQUE:

with your free hand-shove him forward to help break his base

then scoot up to his body as close as you can and turned toward him-try to get your hip or leg under him (this is why you shove him forward-it exposes his hip more)

then you grab either the other hand or his belt gi or whatever and bridge and roll

the mistake other people make is to roll sideways which requires great strength. the proper way to roll is from shoulder to shoulder (towards your head rather than across the body)

i want to add that if a good judoka has this pin on you solidly it really is almost impossible to escape (except maybe for that foot in belt technique but thats not legal).

his base will be low and as long as he doesn't lose your trapped arm you're in trouble. no need for him to post-he simply scoots away from you as you attempt to get close to him. this takes your bridge away from you.

if you attempt to scoot away and sit up, he can switch his legs so that he is more in a face down position. once again takes your escape power away.

its just a tough position to escape from if the guy knows what he is doing. i catch the guys in BJJ class with this and they never escape from it. they always want me to show them the pin-they like it.

"If you grab the belt you get more leverage for the lift-pull."

but if you grab your own wrist, you control his upper body &chest and can use this to pull him away from that great base ..

One simple thing that I was shown years ago is to trap tori's arm under your own head (assuming Hon Kesa Gatame, not Kuzure). Then you bridge and roll. It sounds silly, it really works. You do have to watch for a choke, but usually it happens so fast that tori has no time to do anything.

Ben R.

"but if you grab your own wrist, you control his upper body &chest and can use this to pull him away from that great base .."

Yes, I can see you would have closer body contact and that would likely compensate for the leverage thing.

"One simple thing that I was shown years ago is to trap tori's arm under your own head (assuming Hon Kesa Gatame, not Kuzure). Then you bridge and roll. It sounds silly, it really works. You do have to watch for a choke, but usually it happens so fast that tori has no time to do anything."

How do you go about trapping the arm, Ben?

Thanks for the redirection guys. All great advice.

"How do you go about trapping the arm, Ben?"

You tilt you head back and trap his forearm underneath it, squeezing. Like I said if you just lie there you are vulnerable to a choke, but he has to releast your arm to do it (unless he traps it under his leg).

I know this sounds funny, but it really works. Basically, tori can't post on his arm because it is trapped under you head. I basically don't do Hon Kesa Gatame anymore because of this.

Ben R.

Thanks for the clarification, Ben. That makes sense.

My first judo coach would scream at us if we tried to do hon kesa and grabbed onto anything with the hand that was wrapping around the uki's neck. "HOW CAN YOU POST THAT HAND IF IT'S TIED UP IN HIS GI!"

Can someone please archive this thread?

OK, I saved it !

Ben R.