escape from Kesaketamae(sp)

Scarf hold, or head and arm. Forgive my lack of knowledge for proper names, and spelling. Any tips for escaping this hold down, with a much larger opponent?

1. Don't get there (LOL)

2. Bridge and roll

3. Inward turn with worm crawl

However, once his arms are wrapped and he is sinched in there tight, you're fucked.

kesa gatame.

I personally think kesa is one of the easier pins to get out of, kuzure kami shiho gatame being the hardest to escape. I use three basic escapes.

1) Pull your trapped arm out and turn toward your opponent. Try to pull your elbow into your body. Push on his back or shoulder with your other hand and come to your knees. You are trying to create space and rotate your body with this escape. This escape is great for developing cauliflower ear.

2) You can use this next one if the guy has his head up high, which happens alot especially when you first get put in the pin. Take your free hand around over his shoulder and grab inside his collar, thumb in. Try to work your trapped arm free enough to grab his pant leg. Once you get the leg, move your feet together toward his body and bridge him across your body, pulling on his collar at the same time. This will be a total reversal as you will have him in a pin and the choke is there also. Sometimes you can get the guys back this way also when he tries to defend. This is a very powerful grip if you can get it.

3) Bridge and roll as mentioned earlier. Swing your legs in a circular motion starting out going away and then toward his body and try to pull your arm out or loosen it with the swing. You should be on your hip facing toward your opponent now. Slide your near leg under his leg if you can. Grab his belt with the free hand, bridge so that is forehead touches the mat and then roll him over your body. More of a strength move for me.

You need to practice pin escapes a lot to be good at them. Most people hate to practice them.

Good luck.

Just did these in class the other day...

You can also walk your legs away from his body and they swing your legs up and over his head to pull him down.

Another one is to put your free hand in the middle of his back, hook his leg with yours and try to get to your knees. When you do you want to be pushing down on his shoulder to free your head, once you have you can take his back and go for the choke.

99% of the time when I get in this position I end up either being held for a while then I take his back.

"However, once his arms are wrapped and he is sinched in there tight, you're fucked."

actually my escape counts on him cinching as tight as possible.

Assuming I'm prone and he has captured my right arm:

With my free left arm I reach for his belt or reach across his back and grab the wrist of my captured arm.

Get your feet under your ass and bridge.

As you bridge PULL him (w/ both arms)to the corner between your neck and the free left arm. He won't have anyway to post an arm to stop this and will go over.

Proceed to thrash him.

Faxia: Also, quite a few of the 'good' escapes they show from Kesa in both Judo and BJJ can get you footlocked, kneebarred, and heel-hooked in other grappling events.

The escape that BIC mentions is a classic BJJ move. Nearly all the BJJ guys that I spar with use that move when I get them in kesa (with almost no success). I usually take my arm that is wrapped around his head and post it on the mat to stop the roll. I have never seen that escape demonstrated in Judo. (BTW BIC, nice thread on the main forum regarding the new Grace book.)

Faxia is correct regarding the escape #1 that I mentioned in that it is possible for the other guy to get your back. However, I often end up getting my opponents back with that escape because I come to my knees while he still has a hold of my head.

There must be at least a dozen good ways to escape kesa.

michael jen pin escapes videos..

The problem about escaping kesa is that if you're lazy, you're gonna get stuck for at least a minute or two.

Faxia: True, true... But sometimes, when you're grappling, you're not concentrating on hitting that escape immediately... Maybe you were working on something else, or stunned from a throw.

Faxia: True, true... But sometimes, when you're grappling, you're not concentrating on hitting that escape immediately... Maybe you were working on something else, or stunned from a throw.

one that i like, and can surprise people with the momentum created. this is explained in steps, when put together it will be a rocking motion to start and a axe kick motion for the power.

your left arm is trapped.

1. swing your right leg up towards his head so that your knee is touching his left tricep/shoulder.

2. while that knee is still there, take your right arm and grasp his collar under your right knee. Now there is no way to get your right leg down without hitting your right hand.

3. kick your leg down, which will hit your hand, which is connected to the collar, therefore yanking him to the floor.

4. switch your hips out pin him.

I like the escape Matt describes.

I also like sticking my foot in their belt, but that's illegal in judo.

Matt, I had forgot about that one.

Seen it demonstrated in BJJ, but have not tried it in randori.

"Faxia is correct regarding the escape #1 that I mentioned in that it is possible for the other guy to get your back. However, I often end up getting my opponents back with that escape because I come to my knees while he still has a hold of my head."

Exactly right. I use this escape a lot (it works on lower level players, but not good ones). I always end up either pinning, choking, or armlocking them.

It all depends on how you do it. Lying on your stomach is not good, but using hand and knees or even flat out as a transition move is OK.

Ben R.

If I had to practice just one thing it would be pin escapes.

With your free hand grab the skirt or the belt-ends, put your far foot inside and push. Never fails. (Thanks armhunter)

faxia wrote:"many Judoka just turtle up once they get to their hands and knees, instead of transitioning to a good, defensible position."

I never would have known this if you hadn't written it, faxia.

BTW, I know this an old arguement, but some guys are very, very hard to attack effectively when in the turtle position, especially under normal Judo rules.

Ben R.

faxia wrote:""I never would have known this if you hadn't written it, faxia."
I'm guessing you're being sarcastic Ben ? ;-)"

Who, me ?

Ben R.

"With your free hand grab the skirt or the belt-ends, put your far foot inside and push. Never fails. (Thanks armhunter)"

felipe123

How does this work? I must not understand the move, because I am sure it should work if armhunter showed it to you.

Right arm trapped, reach across his body with your left and grab (preferably) the belt-ends. If you can't get at the belt-ends, then grab the gi-skirt.

Bring your left foot up and place it on the belt-ends or skirt and push off with your leg.