Escaping side control - opponent blocking hip

I'm looking for a good online breakdown or video covering escaping from the variation of side control where your opponent is blocking or gripping your hip with one hand and controlling your head with the other.

Escapes from this variation of side control (other than the "running escape") are rarely covered in detail, so I'd appreciate any material, or even your own thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

I do have a vid of the running escape which might have some nice details different to what you usually see, but I posted the following in the thread titled "Side control escape for smaller guys" that should be helpful. Here is what I posted:

I'm a little guy too... I often roll with guys a lot bigger and find that the pressure and strength is too much to do the basic hip bump guard recovery stuff and very often find that I'm forced to face away... if for nothing else, then to relieve the pressure on diaphragm so I can breathe.

This first spider one may seem a bit odd, but it's actually very frustrating for the top guy and opens a lot of space for either running escape or the shoulder roll in the 2nd link. No matter what escape you try, some of the smaller details in these vids are very applicable.

recovery to spider:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obL6lT5WIss

shoulder roll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rdTWtpEowk

Those were excellent, thank you.

Out of curiosity, if the other person is gripping your gi at the near-side hip, how would you modify your escape?

Watch the Pedro sauer blue belt test on youtube Phone Post 3.0

Thanks - I assume you mean the move at the 7 minute mark in Part 1? That's also a good option.

I guess what I'm thinking of is an efficient grip break/neutralizer to escape sequence if the person on top won't let go of your hip for love or money - thinking of the national-level judo+bjj players I've trained with over the years who just love to pin you to death.

Instructionals tend not to cover this situation since the person on top has to move his hand off your hip to threaten with submissions, bar a couple, so you don't tend to get stuck in it for a long time.

When I first started training, I was shown a way of working the arm gripping the hip over the top of my near-side knee and using that leverage to break the grip, and it's something I've used since. Running escape type moves also work if you get the details right (and I'm still working on them!). I'm interested to see what else is out there, mrgoodarmbar's variations had some interesting details.

xpat - Those were excellent, thank you.

Out of curiosity, if the other person is gripping your gi at the near-side hip, how would you modify your escape?

Sort of depends upon exactly where he's gripping near the hip.

If he's gripping near the hip bone with his right hand, then using the 1st vid (recovery to spider) as a reference.... grab his sleeve with your bottom arm, then break his grip by pushing the elbow of your top arm into his wrist and continue to work towards spider.

If he grips at the hip, but really towards your back, you can't really reach it, so you have to work with it. he's going to have trouble defending a running style escape where you can turtle. You've got to set things up a little though... Notice @ 3:21 how I talk about not trying to expose my back too much and see how I do a little shrimp away as a try to get my back to the mat... He'll either let go of the grip or drive into you to keep your back exposed...Use this moment. Remember that when you are doing the running escape your need to move your body like the hand of a clock. So if you can circle around a bit, then by the time he reacts he's pulling in a direction paralell to your torso rather than perpendicular to it. Just keep in mind that he's def trying to take your back, so don't let start pulling you onto his lap.

mrgoodarmbar - 
xpat - Those were excellent, thank you.

Sort of depends upon exactly where he's gripping near the hip.

If he's gripping near the hip bone with his right hand, then using the 1st vid (recovery to spider) as a reference.... grab his sleeve with your bottom arm, then break his grip by pushing the elbow of your top arm into his wrist and continue to work towards spider.

If he grips at the hip, but really towards your back, you can't really reach it, so you have to work with it. he's going to have trouble defending a running style escape where you can turtle. You've got to set things up a little though... Notice @ 3:21 how I talk about not trying to expose my back too much and see how I do a little shrimp away as a try to get my back to the mat... He'll either let go of the grip or drive into you to keep your back exposed...Use this moment. Remember that when you are doing the running escape your need to move your body like the hand of a clock. So if you can circle around a bit, then by the time he reacts he's pulling in a direction paralell to your torso rather than perpendicular to it. Just keep in mind that he's def trying to take your back, so don't let start pulling you onto his lap.

Thanks again, all good points.

Nice details on your running escape video and I also quite liked your different take on the darce from half guard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78NAEI_Gzzw

My MGinAction Tutorial: http://tinyurl.com/d78pavw

HOW TO FILLET A FISH: http://www.youtube.com/user/joelovesfishin?feature=mhsn

Thanks joelovesfishin, I actually hadn't seen that video before.

It just kills me to have to learn from MG via video now...

Sub Phone Post