Everyone this week should ask their instructor

I make it a point to teach all leg locks so students know them for whatever they may encounter; no gi/sub. grappling tournaments, MMA, self defense. However, I make it very clear what is allowed in class and most tournaments and why. I will not 'not' teach something just because it isn't allowed in tournaments.

I just asked my Boxing coach if we can cut out punches to the face because everyone might get injured. THIS IS GREAT!!! When I get to Muay Thai I'm gonna ask about eliminating elbows, kicks, and punches!!! Can't wait!

you use elbows when sparring muay thai?

i'm sure most jiu-jitsu clubs do teach leg/foot submissions but tend not to focus too much on them for a number of reasons already covered:

1. dangerous for beginners
2. not used in competition for beginners
3. position before submission philosophy

a majority of jiu-jitsu students are training for a hobby or to enter jiu-jitsu competitions so these techniques aren't hugely important.

they should be left to those more experienced or entering tournaments that allow them.

unless you're really good at leg/foot submissions then they are risky in mma.

Kai Tremeche - 
billy914 - Don't most schools simply teach in line with what BJJ comps permit? Meaning most leg locks are not permitted at anything except the highest grades. Achilles lock is allowed.

Beginners should be learning about passing the guard and positional control before leg locks for a variety of reasons, including the injury rate from some leg locks.

Except if you plan on doing any no-gi grappling or MMA ever.

Saying "ever" is a little different to saying that beginners shouldn't be taught leg locks. I don't know many BJJ schools that ignore leg locks at higher grades.

There is clear reasoning for not teaching leg locks as a priority, no one is saying they should be ignored and I don't know many schools that do.

If students are preparing for no gi comps then they would roll under those rules at most places I would think. Be silly not to.

billy914 - 
Kai Tremeche - 
billy914 - Don't most schools simply teach in line with what BJJ comps permit? Meaning most leg locks are not permitted at anything except the highest grades. Achilles lock is allowed.

Beginners should be learning about passing the guard and positional control before leg locks for a variety of reasons, including the injury rate from some leg locks.

Except if you plan on doing any no-gi grappling or MMA ever.

Saying "ever" is a little different to saying that beginners shouldn't be taught leg locks. I don't know many BJJ schools that ignore leg locks at higher grades.

There is clear reasoning for not teaching leg locks as a priority, no one is saying they should be ignored and I don't know many schools that do.

If students are preparing for no gi comps then they would roll under those rules at most places I would think. Be silly not to.

Except in my experience, BJJ clubs cover leglocks less than they cover takedowns... Which is not much at all.

We learn leg locks, not as frequently as we learn other techniques, but we learn them nonetheless.

We don't do takedowns very often at all, but instructor has decided to show and drill takedowns more often.

Kai Tremeche - 
poolparty - everyone would get injured.

The same reason most places don't train takedowns live.

That is a terrible excuse.

I think a more important question to ask this week would be why our instructors are teaching us diluted BJJ, and not the pure form that they can only teach in Brazil.