Everyone this week should ask their instructor

Why they don't teach/train leg locks.

If they don't already, that is.

simple he doesn't do them. 

everyone would get injured.

poolparty - everyone would get injured.

that's the same reason we don't train armbars at my school.

He said he didn't know any.

poolparty - everyone would get injured.

The same reason most places don't train takedowns live.

i won't lie i wish we did have a sick leg lock expert at my gym. if for nothing besides developing great defense. but it's just not the case. i considering going to gokor's every now and again just to work leg stuff.

We do plenty of it, and it's awesome.

I have a Brazilian instructor he teaches plenty of leg locks and encourages everyone from white to black to develop a game with them.

You wouldn't believe the number of dudes I tear up w/ a simple straight ankle lock. No crazy sambo stuff, just a straight ankle lock.

To me it's the easiest sub in all BJJ to defend, and so many guys have never learned it.

I agree 100% Darkside. Mine does.

We teach defense mostly, especially pre-tourney.

Lets face it, BJJ rules discourage it. BJJ is first and foremost a positional dominance game. Falling back and possibly giving up sweep points is detrimental to your position.

BTW, anyone could tap me with a straight ankle lock. I tap fast to leg attacks. My knees do not like them at all. Even in a straight ankle, my knee feels like it's going to explode. DO NOT WANT.

We train leg locks.

Don't most schools simply teach in line with what BJJ comps permit? Meaning most leg locks are not permitted at anything except the highest grades. Achilles lock is allowed.

Beginners should be learning about passing the guard and positional control before leg locks for a variety of reasons, including the injury rate from some leg locks.

my ankle popped out during a bjj class, not long after i started training, due to a straight ankle lock. my toes curled up under my foot and were completely stiff, horrible experience. since then my ankle has been weak and i tap to ankle locks really easily.

i no longer intend to train or compete in mma and do bjj purely for the sport aspect. as a sport you're encouraged to pass guard, gain side control and then move to knee on belly because it's usually easier to score points than it is to submit an opponent. i think that's the biggest reason they aren't often used.

billy914 - Don't most schools simply teach in line with what BJJ comps permit? Meaning most leg locks are not permitted at anything except the highest grades. Achilles lock is allowed.

Beginners should be learning about passing the guard and positional control before leg locks for a variety of reasons, including the injury rate from some leg locks.

Except if you plan on doing any no-gi grappling or MMA ever.

We teach and train leg attacks at my school, and since 2 of my main training partners are brown belts (I'm a purple) I spend a large amount of time defending and attacking ankle locks, knee bars and toe holds, as those attacks are legal for them and when we roll, we roll to their rules.

James

There is nothing wrong with leg locks, in general.

We do train them at our school, however, there are some things to consider -
there is only so much time to train
a beginner student would be better served putting in time learning other things in almost every case
like all submissions, you have to have control to reduce risk of injury (but heel hooks and even toe holds tend to be more dangerous than other subs)
someone else mentioned this above, most instructors tend to teach what is allowed in the sport and with a gi - some leg locks are not allowed and others are allowed based upon rank

Marc

We train em. In fact when I started Bjj I was a two bit ankle crankin fool. Now I hardly ever go for them.

We don't train takedowns, armbars, leglocks, or any other submission in our gym. We don't want anyone to get injured.

We work leg/foot locks occasionally. A lot of white belts at the club, so it's foundation stuff for the majority.