Favorite Guard Instructionals

Been doing the same old thing for a while now. Looking to check out some new material and drill some new techniques. I need to focus on improving my guard and I was wondering what instructionals you guys felt were the most helpful to you? My closed guard is my best guard, so no closed guard stuff. I'd prefer something spider, DLR, or x guard related. These are the guards I use most. I don't really do Reverse DLR, or inverted stuff. Thanks!

I've generally pieced together from youtube vids. I know where I''m stuck or I've identified where things go wrong and I look around for those positions. Try:.... Romulo, Langhi, Cobrinha, Caio for dlr and spider type stuff... but I've gotten a lot of good stuff from people I've never heard of. Just less fancy and less flexibility based stuff.

Meatgrinder -

I've generally pieced together from youtube vids. I know where I''m stuck or I've identified where things go wrong and I look around for those positions. Try:.... Romulo, Langhi, Cobrinha, Caio for dlr and spider type stuff... but I've gotten a lot of good stuff from people I've never heard of. Just less fancy and less flexibility based stuff.

My main problem with that stuff is that it's often one technique, maybe two. I learn best when theirs a small system. Like a chain of sweeps or sweeps. Do sweep A, it fails and you've got sweep B, then C, then you're fucked and that guys better than you. Haha. I can hardly ever find stuff like that on YouTube. Phone Post 3.0

Mendes Bros online is perfect for the stuff you want to see.

They do invert, but not nearly as much as you'd expect, and they have a lot of cool transitions into x guard from dlr and reverse dlr.

Caio Terra's 111 Half Guard Techniques is about as exhaustive as it gets on the subject. The name is a bit misleading, as he delves into 50/50, Terra Guard (basically Tornado Guard), and a lot of great single leg material. Phone Post 3.0

TTT Phone Post 3.0

I haven't seen a review of Gianni Grippo's dvd, but he's got one that's speciic to dlr.

I agree on Caio's dvd being exhaustive on an expanded definition of 1/2 guard (and I'm in the middle of rewatching it)

I think a good strategy is to understand how/why you are starting out in that guard and from that starting point, think about what the most basic/fundamental sweep, etc. is from there and work from that as the root position. There are so many cool looking moves out there that you should really only get to if 3 or 4 more basic things fail and he's defended a certain way. The fancy stuff works when it has been set up properly by good basic attempts first. If you want a good starting point for dlr, I consider double sleeve dlr to be the root position of open guard for me and this vid to be my starting point for a dlr sweep. There are a ton of vids on it, but I think the details I show here are almost always overlooked (I think nogi david also put out a nice vid on this). If you are looking for do some dlr/situp I would start with this. For me, everything after this threat depends upon how he reacts.

-He stays low and drives he knee out over my leg while I still have both sleeves: foot comes up to his shoulder sort of not committed spider

-He stands and drives forward in a similar manner: overhead sweep (I have a youtube vid on it)

-He stands while I was in the spider: As his hips rise my spider foot goes on his hip and I do a tripod sweep

-He stands and I try to pass his sleeve to my other hand, but he postures really well (his weight is on his heels) I single leg sweep (I have a youtube vid)

-He stands and starts driving his knee out and I haven't been able to pass his sleeve, I go to reverse dlr usually transitioning into a dirty x or regular x

-He stands and starts driving the knee in for knee slice, I shoulder bump his @ss and single leg ( or single to dbl)

-I do pass the sleeve and start the sweep but he keeps his shoulders square and bases with his free hand, I triangle or back take (see caio for the triangle).

I really try to avoid spider when guys stand. I feel like I'm too small compared to my opponents. I try to get a sweep but it flows right into a dlr, sitting guard,etc if they get a good postured stance.

Great share. I never thought about approaching particular guard in such a straightforward way.

I often find myself on DLR when people stand up in my half guard. But it is at best a stalemate position where my leg is annoying the crap out of the other guy. Phone Post 3.0