Fedor ALMOST fought Randy in 2000

Was on Wikipedia and just realized that in Rings in 2000, Kohsaka who defeated Fedor by cut, lost to Randy in the finals of the same tournament.

Just thought it was a cool fun fact to share.

sage

that wouldve been interesting at the time

it would have been Randy getting armbarred.......

Haulport - it would have been Randy getting armbarred.......

Yep

the same result as it would have been today. Except Randy

would not be wearing clothing with skulls and flames on it

during the post fight interview.

In that same tournament, we also could have seen Minotauro vs Couture (instead of having to wait 10 years later) - but Couture lost to Overeem in the semi-final.

Kakkarotto_san - In that same tournament, we also could have seen Minotauro vs Couture (instead of having to wait 10 years later) - but Couture lost to Overeem in the semi-final.

But what a fucking fight Handy and Big Nog was when it did happen. Happened to have watched this again yesterday for about the 8th time and I just never get tired of watching it.

My FOTY.

nice find!

ajsr - 
Kakkarotto_san - In that same tournament, we also could have seen Minotauro vs Couture (instead of having to wait 10 years later) - but Couture lost to Overeem in the semi-final.

But what a fucking fight Handy and Big Nog was when it did happen. Happened to have watched this again yesterday for about the 8th time and I just never get tired of watching it.

My FOTY.

I agree. The wait was worth it. At that time, back in 2000 - Minotauro would have submitted Couture within the first round. Couture just didn't have the sub defense then.

Fedorr's rise would have been swifter if they fought.... but I also think we may have missed out on a few excelent fights too... so I am glad that fedor wasnt well known till 2003.

I was amazed at his power in the first couple of fights in Pride.... Schilts and Herring.

The real tragedy is not having seen Nog/Fedor in the finals cause of that cut.

Actually you are referring to Rings 1999 in which Nog defeated Overeem by arm triangle in the finals.

It was Rings 2000 I was referring do in which Randy defeated Kohsaka in the finals.

Fedor by bulldog choke

sage77 - 

Actually you are referring to Rings 1999 in which Nog defeated Overeem by arm triangle in the finals.

It was Rings 2000 I was referring do in which Randy defeated Kohsaka in the finals.

Actually youre mistaken. Nog beat Overeem in the 1999 tourney via stoppage from a keylock in the early stage. He was elimated from the finals by Hollywood Henderson on a razor thin controversial decision.

The tapout win via arm triangle was from the 2000 tournament where he beat him in the finals.

sage77 - 

Actually, you are wrong. Nog defeated Overeem in the final of the Rings 2000 King of Kings tournament.

Overeem got to the final by beating Randy, who had beat TK, after TK was sent through from the Fedor cut.

You should really know what you're talking about before telling someone that they are wrong. Newb.

was it Alistair or Valentijn in that tournament?

Valentijin

Kakkarotto_san - 
sage77 - 

Actually, you are wrong. Nog defeated Overeem in the final of the Rings 2000 King of Kings tournament.

Overeem got to the final by beating Randy, who had beat TK, after TK was sent through from the Fedor cut.

You should really know what you're talking about before telling someone that they are wrong. Newb.

I'm going to have to recheck my sources and stop trusting Wikipedia then.

Use the fight finder on this site for stuff from before you started watching.

Val was on fire back then, Nog was just his Kryptonite. He subbed Randy, Babalu and others.

frontrowbrian -  wasn't Randy offered huge money by Bodog to fight Fedor? Lindland ended up getting the fight and Randy went back to UFC to win the HW title from Sylvia.

3million was the number thrown around