"Fedor on Rogers, popularity, & Strikeforce"

Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:52 am EDT

Emelianenko on Rogers, popularity and Strikeforce's plans for him

"I love to watch the young generation, the youngsters," Emelianenko told Cagewriter through a translator during an interview at M-1. "For example, Mikhail Zayats, I've known him for quite a bit, and I really enjoy watching him grow."

"I don't like just to watch fights without thinking non-emotionally about it," he continued. "I really like to worry, and be involved emotionally and worry about someone I know, and to help them. "

He grew more serious when discussing his future opponent, Brett Rogers. Emelianenko gleaned a great deal of information from Rogers' short fights.

"Brett Rogers is a very impressive fighter. I did have a chance to watch him fight and certainly, he's very big, he's very strong, he's very fast, he has a great feeling of distance. His main trick and main thing is his knockout punch."

It was clear that Emelianenko wanted to get back to Starry Oskol, his home in Russia, to train. He has begun to work in a cage, as opposed to the ring he is used to fighting in, since his fight with Rogers for Strikeforce will be in a cage.

As for becoming a superstar in America, Emelianenko doesn't care about that as much as putting on a good show in the U.S.

"To be popular, that's not my desire. I'm not trying to get popular. I do just what I do, and I really enjoy when people like what I do. I try to make MMA popular and interesting for people."

If he gets through Rogers, what is next for the WAMMA champ?

"M-1 Global and Strikeforce, they do have certain plans for me. They have very serious, very strong, and very famous fighters." 

"To be popular, that's not my desire. I'm not trying to get popular. I do just what I do, and I really enjoy when people like what I do. I try to make MMA popular and interesting for people."

MuchRespec' - "To be popular, that's not my desire. I'm not trying to get popular. I do just what I do, and I really enjoy when people like what I do. I try to make MMA popular and interesting for people."

This line of his has so much weight in it it's not even funny.

Great interview.

PrideGP is The GAME -  Fedor sounds like a selfish, self absorbed, potty mouth

The sport needs more classy ambassadors like Dana White.

Great news that he's taking the cage seriously. We dont want another Gonzaga-Crocop.

TTT for FEDOR

rock1775 -  Dana might be the reason we still have MMA in America

JFK might have been shot by bigfoot from a UFO, but probably not.

Fedor rules, can't wait to see him beating on grim while Brett is curled up in the fetal position

Friendly smile before fight = bad news.

fedor never comes off as an asshole

K-Dub-"T" -  Giant killer.

Imagine him at 205 without baby fat.

beep?

who the hell cares, he puts on exciting fights.

fedor is awesome

anyone ever wonder if fedor signed with strikeforce to warm up in the cage? 

youloseftw - 
K-Dub-"T" -  Giant killer.

Imagine him at 205 without baby fat.

beep?

who the hell cares, he puts on exciting fights.

Since when is talking about a fighter cutting weight gay?

^^

Whats the need for him to cut weight?

There is none other then to see a shredded body. lol.

Looks mean nothing.

God bless Rogers, but this is the classic "Fedor is smiling at me, and I don't know what the f*ck I'm supposed to do... should I be intimidating?  Will it work?  WTF????  Please God, save me.  WTF have I done???" 

If any 205lb'er wants to fight him, they can just not cut weight and fight at heavyweight. No need for Fedor to ever contemplate cutting.

Tito's proposition of fighting Fedor at catchweight was ridiculous. If Tito fought above 205, that would be heavyweight, no need for catchweight...just another way to avoid fighting Fedor.

2JupitersTooMany - God bless Rogers, but this is the classic "Fedor is smiling at me, and I don't know what the f*ck I'm supposed to do... should I be intimidating?  Will it work?  WTF????  Please God, save me.  WTF have I done???" 

LOL

Xad - If any 205lb'er wants to fight him, they can just not cut weight and fight at heavyweight. No need for Fedor to ever contemplate cutting.

Tito's proposition of fighting Fedor at catchweight was ridiculous. If Tito fought above 205, that would be heavyweight, no need for catchweight...just another way to avoid fighting Fedor.

LOL Tito is not very bright is he?

The idea of demanding a fight against the best HW in the world at "catchweight" is like a joke. Nobody should take him seriously anymore. The guy can't keep his mouth shut.

2JupitersTooMany - God bless Rogers, but this is the classic "Fedor is smiling at me, and I don't know what the f*ck I'm supposed to do... should I be intimidating?  Will it work?  WTF????  Please God, save me.  WTF have I done???" 

yea Rodgers has a look like "what is everybody looking at?," not knowing that the Fedor photo op is the kiss of death