Fence Grabbing Should = Penalty

I'll NOT buy another PPV until they address this problem. I'll just go to my buddys house and watch it with them. I'm always invited, but I'd rather watch the fights in a little calmer and quiter place. And besides, I've always felt like it was a little tinsy thing that I could do to support the UFC. Hey, it's always been one more PPV buy.

I agree, the fighteres and the officials are professionals and should conduct accordingly.

Your warning should be giving out at the rules meeting! When you do it in the ring or in the cage, it should be at least a 1 point deduction.

Even though that may not change things because the Ref still has to stop the fight. ake away the point and so you still have a break in the action, and a restart on the feet. So the cheater still got his way, especialy if he wins the fight.

How about a 1 point deduction and 25% of the fighters purse goes to the opponent? or if the rule breaker wins the match, it becomes and unanimous draw.

If you have rules, enforce them and protect the athletes and the integrity of the sport, for the fighters, the fans, the ticket bying public.

Exactly!

That's what the rules meeting is for, to state the rules. You state the rules BEFORE the fight.

You enforce them DURING a fight.

Let's get it right, Big John!!!!!!

I think the Yellow card idea from PRIDE is excellent for this, let's face it, if you DQ some one for grabbing fence, fans would boo like hell. 10%-20% reduction in their pay check should make most of fighters think twice, you cant prevent them after all this is a nature instinct, but I do feel that sometimes fighters do need some more punishment other than just a oral warning

when arvloski armbarred aaron brink he used the fence to actually GET the top position to apply the armbar.

Either penalize people for it, or allow 1 or 2 seconds with a count, and after that the ref kicks your arm.

if the "give up position" rule happened:

some guard pulling failure types would grab the fence to avoid having to stand and fight, get the guy in their guard free

They should just forget about the fence altogether and allow anyone to use it anyway they want.

"They should just forget about the fence altogether and allow anyone to use it anyway they want. "

So we can see someone smash their opponent's face to the fence Undertaker style?

point deduction and restart in same position if possible is the way to go

Smoking'Guns...seeing as you started this thread, and are adamant about the fence/rope grabbing...what are your thoughts on the last Hendo/Busta fight?

I'm with Max Power.
Point deduction. Then neutral start standing.
Fence grabbing is not only used for preventing a takedown. And
grabbing is sort of a natural reaction, not always intentional cheating.
And you wouldn't have to try to get them back into
positions...whatever that may be since they were falling.

If the fighters were sure to get penalized for doing it, they would train
not to do it.

No plexiglass. Fighters would just use that as a weapon, smashing opponents' heads against it and we'd all be moaning & complaining about it here.

As sumo_samurai said, warnings are all given before the fight. So, for the 1st infraction: penalize one point + add back time + return cheater to same disadvantageous position as before the fence grab. For the second infraction: DQ-loss.

I am fed up with these excuses that fence-grabbing is a "natural reflex." Bullsh!t!!! Blatantly intentional cheating.

I'm sick of it, too. These guys work HARD for a takedown and are about to get it only to have it stuffed by a cheat move. Just wrong. I've seen three people do it in the last two shows. Riggs, Sylvia, and Chuck

There should be some type of penalty. I like Big Guns idea.

The way I see it, let the fence be part of the strategy of using the octagon. That's why it's there.

If a person is allowed to pin a guy against the fence and fire away, then that same person should also be allowed to hold the fence to prevent the takedown.

New strategies will develop such as more fighting in the center of the octagon, etc...

Penalize fighters if they are obviously stalling and preventing action. However, holding the fence for a few seconds to maintain balance, escape, get better position, prevent from being thrown is and should be part of the "game".

I was wondering when somebody was going to bring this up. It happened in the last two main events of ufc, why the hell can't they get it together and issue a yellow card or something?

Of course everybody knows zuffa wanted chuck to win anyway so go figure

i'm glad theres alot of people who feel hte same about the fence grabbing. i agree if you grab the fence, you give up the takedown. no continuous warnings of "hey don't grab the fence."

Absolutely agree. It's getting really bad. I recall Chuck grabbing the fence in other fights to avoid takedown also.

The only problem is, yes, you can force the fence grabber to give up position and put them on the ground in the center of the ring, but that ignores the damage that may have been dealt from the takedown or throw.

I think they need to give up position, as well as have a point deduction, cause takedowns usually deal damage as well as score points with the judges.

ttt