Fight Fans Panic as Possible Staph Infection Threatens 299 Co-Main

1 Like

Fight fans aren’t liking the looks of Benoit Saint Denis’ forehead, and that’s not a knock on the rising Lightweight contender’s appearance.

Saint Denis is scheduled to face former interim champion Dustin Poirier this weekend (Sat. March 9, 2024) in the co-main event of UFC 299 from Miami, Florida. It’s a five-round booking and one of the most highly anticipated bouts of the card, as Poirier is a beloved knockout artist while “BSD” is on a major tear, having won five bouts in a row via stoppage.

Unfortunately, Saint Denis has an unpleasant looking wound on his forehead. Many took notice of the opening during recent fight week-related media, and quite a few have diagnosed the wound as a staph infection, one of the more serious illnesses that wrestling rooms can pass on.
Reactions were mixed online, from full on panic to others dismissing the issue. Check out a sample below:

looks like a badly popped pimple

if someone has staph, doesn’t the fight get cancelled automatically?

It doesn’t change the fight because Dustin was always going to dominate

I think he said in an interview that it was from a bullet round when he was shooting. But who knows. If that is indeed staph infection, it could absolutely play a huge factor. I think BSD will be fine though

If bros on antibiotics it’s going to be a miserable weight cut

That’s gross. He shouldn’t fight with that.

Here’s the problem with the speculation: anyone could be correct. Without getting the infection tested, a small wound like that could be a nasty staph infection fully in the blood stream or it could be a popped pimple or it could be a finger nail scratch with some other kind of infection. Not every staph infection results in Kevin Randleman-esque wounds; that level of decomposition is very uncommon!

That said, antibiotics could be a real talking point if it is indeed staph. Antibiotics are known to wreak havoc on an athlete’s conditioning. For example, Luke Rockhold nearly passed out from exhaustion after defeating Chris Weidman, and he attributed the fatigue to a staph and antibiotic combo.

Bettors beware?

1 Like

1 Like

Wondered if that’s what that was on Embedded.

2 Likes

https://www.mmanews.com/mma-news-today/mma-news-today-ufc-lightweight-speculates-benoît-saint-denis-staph-infection-sean-strickland-assaulting-an-influencer-paedophile

1 Like

Doesn’t the AC - and even the UFC - have doctors for this? They should clear this up ASAP.

1 Like

Burn It Beavis And Butthead GIF by Paramount+

Stephen A Smith Eye Roll GIF by ESPN

2 Likes

BSD wearing a hat to the press conference to cover it up…let’s see if anybody asks him about possibly having staph

Plenty of experience with MRSA. It does look like a popped staph boil…the fact it is only one makes me lean that it is not.

It should be irrelevant if he is asked or not. UFC and/or AC doctors should investigate that and tell us what’s up. It doesn’t have to be a mystery!

Obviously not a Defense Soap user.

:soap: :bubbles:

Yes, they should! However, they’ve demonstrated numerous times before that they don’t. Remember TJ against Aljo? There were multiple fighters on the UFC 294 card that revealed they won their fights despite having staph infections. Nursulton Ruziboev had staph infection and his leg burst open during a fight at the Apex in Vegas…he won the fight and even got a performance bonus that night haha.

Nothing happens, except Dana just criticizes the fighters for hiding their injuries and infections at the post fight press conference.

1 Like

Yep. But now it’s in his fucking forehead! And I don’t think Poirier and hid camp would be fine fighting a guy with staph either.

1 Like

i almost always get mine in single boils. looks exactly like that.

if he would’ve smacked some muprocin on it or done a compress with garlic cloves it would be better by now.

Fight still on so far?