Fight should have continued..

Southpaw76 -
Bigtrain2681 -
MasterofMartialArts -
Bigtrain2681 -
MasterofMartialArts -
gentle_wookiee -

Because Chris looked like he was all fucked up after the knees so they rightly assumed he would have been finished following those knees.

Order of events according to you:

1. Knee thrown

2. Ref stops because he thinks it's illegal

3. Doctor comes in to check 

4. Wild "assumption" is made and TKO is called 

5. All of this happened in spite of the fact that if the knee was actually illegal, it would have been a point off or DQ

But it wasn't illegal and hurt Weidman enough for him to need almost 5 minutes to recover. He was done. 

Then if it's legal the fight should continue. Taking five minutes is not illegal. So there was no grounds for stopping the fight. 

Er, taking 5 minutes is not illegal? What?? 

Mousasi was on the cusp of finishing. 5 minutes recovery and starting from a position where his skull isn't getting bounced by knees is hardly a fair conclusion. Getting rocked so bad you need 5 minutes to recover is a good sign you're not fit to continue. 

The problem is he was told he could take 5 min to recover from the ref call. Then they go back and penalize him with a loss for the time he took? Not to mention there are no video replays in new york so how does the ref call get overturned?

My opinion is the fight should have continued, not sure why they can give chris a loss by tko. Maybe he would have lost in a few more strikes but that is mere speculation

Weidman also told the doctor he didn't know if he could continue during that 5 minutes when he thought the knee was illegal. Just rewatched and saw this. If he couldn't continue when he believed it to be illegal, he couldn't continue when it turned out it wasn't. 

That to me clears this of any debate. 

So you're saying the doctor is incompetent, and doesn't know when a fighter should continue?

PeterNorth -

It might have been the commission that decided it, but as soon as the knees were known to be legal Mirgalotta should've informed Chris and told him we restart right now or the fights over and you lose. My guess is the commission decided. Hoooorrrrible decision!!!!

100% this. Once the knees are declared legal you either restart immediately or call TKO. You can't continue recovery time for a legal strike.

Bigtrain2681 -
MasterofMartialArts -
Bigtrain2681 -
MasterofMartialArts -
gentle_wookiee -

Because Chris looked like he was all fucked up after the knees so they rightly assumed he would have been finished following those knees.

1. Knee thrown

5. All of this happened in spite of the fact that if the knee was actually illegal, it would have been a point off or DQ

But it wasn't illegal and hurt Weidman enough for him to need almost 5 minutes to recover. He was done. 

Then if it's legal the fight should continue. Taking five minutes is not illegal. So there was no grounds for stopping the fight. 

The fight couldn't continue no matter what. Probably the fairest way would have been a NC. Which it'll likely become on appeal. 

No, Mousasi damaged Weidman to the point he couldn't continue, with legal strikes. Mousasi via doctor stoppage is the fairest way.

DaddyRich -
PeterNorth -

It might have been the commission that decided it, but as soon as the knees were known to be legal Mirgalotta should've informed Chris and told him we restart right now or the fights over and you lose. My guess is the commission decided. Hoooorrrrible decision!!!!

100% this. Once the knees are declared legal you either restart immediately or call TKO. You can"t continue recovery time for a legal strike.

0% that... there's no "as soon as the knee is known to be legal"

The ref ruled it illegal. It can't be changed.

When the is a unreviewable play in the NFL the NFL can't call in and overrule the call on the field after the play.

Everything he said was true in states that allow replay

DaddyRich -
PeterNorth -

100% this. Once the knees are declared legal you either restart immediately or call TKO. You can't continue recovery time for a legal strike.
Well, you shouldn't get the rest of the foul break, BUT they should have continued the break for the doctor to evaluate Weidman, which is what was happening. The ref doesn't have the power to say "STFU doc, GTFO, he can continue".

Nobody can argue the doctor didn't determine Weidman was unable to continue, due to legal strikes. That's really all that should matter in the end. How the doctor got the chance to evaluate Weidman is irrelevant to the result.

MasterofMartialArts -
Bigtrain2681 -
MasterofMartialArts -
gentle_wookiee -

1. Knee thrown

The fight would have continued if the doctor had determined Chris could continue. The doctor doesn't factor in the legality of a strike, when determining if a fighter can continue. The damage was too much for him to continue, weather it was legal or not. He can't say "Weidman is unfit to continue... oh wait, the strike was legal? Oh well In that case, I guess he is fit to continue. "

Because Chris clearly said he could not continue

Pretty sure I had ref tell Chris, "you had the answer the questions correctly" right after they called it. I would guess docs asked him some basic questions you may ask someone who is concussed and he answered incorrectly. 

ShootProod - I get it. Dan didn't see if the knees we're legal, it was really close.

But why not allow the fight to to continue after realizing it was the wrong call?

Because chris was fucked for a solid few minutes. That knee would have ended the fight either way. Theyrr both great fighters abd great ppl. Fuck off with your bias

http://fightvideo.mmatd.com/viewtopic.php?t=91100&p=1650868#p1650868

at 16:00 here Chris asks the ref why and ref pretty clearly tells him he had to answer questions correctly 

Weidman can't spend 5 minutes pretending the knee had ended his life because he thought it was illegal. Then as soon as the legality was cleared up he's fine. Then soon as the fight is called off he's claiming it's illegal again. He's turned into a whiney little bitch for such a tough guy.

I think people are missing the point that there is no replay in NY.  Because there is no replay they SHOULD have went with the refs initial call. The initial call was it was an illegal strike. That "illegal" strike led to Chris not being able to continue according to the doctors. Should have been a no contest or W for Chris. I don't agree with it at all but the end of the fight and the result isn't correct.

No. Weidman wanted out when he thought it was a DQ win. Doctors have to respect that he didn't want to fight... Mahahahaha

JonJonesBone -

I think people are missing the point that there is no replay in NY.  Because there is no replay they SHOULD have went with the refs initial call. The initial call was it was an illegal strike. That "illegal" strike led to Chris not being able to continue according to the doctors. Should have been a no contest or W for Chris. I don't agree with it at all but the end of the fight and the result isn't correct.

No the result is correct, the rule isn't. I don't agree that they should have followed a rule, that would have only led to an unjust, screwing of a fighter.

cw woulda got a free recovery break

i think he probably woulda won if it continued

JonJonesBone -

You are mixing up "no replay" with "can't overrule his call". Dan nor any of the corners involved asked for the fight to be stopped and have a replay shown so he could review his decision.

That doesn't mean he can't overrule his earlier decision.

Weidman probably in a catch 22. He rightfully took time to recover from what ref declared was an illegal blow but it came back to haunt him when it became clear the knee(s) was legal. It's possible he may not have been too hurt to continue but he made it appear so during the recovery period. In my mind Mousasi was dealing out serious fight ending (and legal) damage so I'm glad they gave him the win.

ref made mistake thinking he was down but after 5 minutes if Chris was able to fight they shold ahve re started the fight

ABCTT_HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe -
JonJonesBone -

No the result is correct, the rule isn't. I don't agree that they should have followed a rule, that would have only led to an unjust, screwing of a fighter.

It's not Chris's fault that The ref stopped the fight. Chris didn't ask for the fight to be stopped, the ref thought it was illegal an stopped it and then told him he had 5 minutes to recover. Then a commission member saw replay and said it wasn't illegal. That's not Chris's fault, that's on the ref. Chris has fought through worse in my oppinion. Not saying he would have came back and won but he should have been given the opportunity. He didn't stop the fight, he didn't ask for the fight to be stopped. Also I wanted the moose to win, i want to see him be the champ, I just hate how the fight ended.