Fight should have continued..

JonJonesBone - 
ABCTT_HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe -
JonJonesBone -

I think people are missing the point that there is no replay in NY.  Because there is no replay they SHOULD have went with the refs initial call. The initial call was it was an illegal strike. That "illegal" strike led to Chris not being able to continue according to the doctors. Should have been a no contest or W for Chris. I don't agree with it at all but the end of the fight and the result isn't correct.

No the result is correct, the rule isn't. I don't agree that they should have followed a rule, that would have only led to an unjust, screwing of a fighter.

It's not Chris's fault that The ref stopped the fight. Chris didn't ask for the fight to be stopped, the ref thought it was illegal an stopped it and then told him he had 5 minutes to recover. Then a commission member saw replay and said it wasn't illegal. That's not Chris's fault, that's on the ref. Chris has fought through worse in my oppinion. Not saying he would have came back and won but he should have been given the opportunity. He didn't stop the fight, he didn't ask for the fight to be stopped. Also I wanted the moose to win, i want to see him be the champ, I just hate how the fight ended. 

The ref didnt stop the fight. The doctor stopped the fight after talking to Chris. The only reason the doctor would stop the fight is if Weidmans answer to their questions were wrong

flyboy91 -
JonJonesBone -

I think people are missing the point that there is no replay in NY.  Because there is no replay they SHOULD have went with the refs initial call. The initial call was it was an illegal strike. That "illegal" strike led to Chris not being able to continue according to the doctors. Should have been a no contest or W for Chris. I don't agree with it at all but the end of the fight and the result isn't correct.

You are mixing up "no replay" with "can't overrule his call". Dan nor any of the corners involved asked for the fight to be stopped and have a replay shown so he could review his decision.

That doesn't mean he can't overrule his earlier decision.

The ref can't call it illegal and stop the fight and then a commission member call him over to the door and correct him saying it wasn't illegal. It's the refs call and he called it illegal a guy outside the cage can't over rule his decision. Chris was taking the 5 minutes that the ref gave over what he was told was an illegal strike. It was a replay that changed the decision and replays aren't allowed. 

If if an NFL ref makes a call on the field when replay isn't allowed the head of NFL officials can't call into the game and overturn the call. 

GSPsShadyHandWraps -
JonJonesBone - 
JonJonesBone -

No the result is correct, the rule isn"t. I don"t agree that they should have followed a rule, that would have only led to an unjust, screwing of a fighter.

It's not Chris's fault that The ref stopped the fight. Chris didn't ask for the fight to be stopped, the ref thought it was illegal an stopped it and then told him he had 5 minutes to recover. Then a commission member saw replay and said it wasn't illegal. That's not Chris's fault, that's on the ref. Chris has fought through worse in my oppinion. Not saying he would have came back and won but he should have been given the opportunity. He didn't stop the fight, he didn't ask for the fight to be stopped. Also I wanted the moose to win, i want to see him be the champ, I just hate how the fight ended. 

The ref didnt stop the fight. The doctor stopped the fight after talking to Chris. The only reason the doctor would stop the fight is if Weidmans answer to their questions were wrong

Very true. I wish we had an answer To why the doctor stopped the fight. Was it because he answered a question wrong or because he layed down for a few minutes and looked injured. 

Bigtrain2681 -
Southpaw76 -
Bigtrain2681 -
MasterofMartialArts -
Bigtrain2681 -
MasterofMartialArts -
gentle_wookiee -

Because Chris looked like he was all fucked up after the knees so they rightly assumed he would have been finished following those knees.

Order of events according to you:

1. Knee thrown

2. Ref stops because he thinks it's illegal

3. Doctor comes in to check 

4. Wild "assumption" is made and TKO is called 

5. All of this happened in spite of the fact that if the knee was actually illegal, it would have been a point off or DQ

But it wasn't illegal and hurt Weidman enough for him to need almost 5 minutes to recover. He was done. 

Then if it's legal the fight should continue. Taking five minutes is not illegal. So there was no grounds for stopping the fight. 

Er, taking 5 minutes is not illegal? What?? 

Mousasi was on the cusp of finishing. 5 minutes recovery and starting from a position where his skull isn't getting bounced by knees is hardly a fair conclusion. Getting rocked so bad you need 5 minutes to recover is a good sign you're not fit to continue. 

The problem is he was told he could take 5 min to recover from the ref call. Then they go back and penalize him with a loss for the time he took? Not to mention there are no video replays in new york so how does the ref call get overturned?

My opinion is the fight should have continued, not sure why they can give chris a loss by tko. Maybe he would have lost in a few more strikes but that is mere speculation

Weidman also told the doctor he didn't know if he could continue during that 5 minutes when he thought the knee was illegal. Just rewatched and saw this. If he couldn't continue when he believed it to be illegal, he couldn't continue when it turned out it wasn't. 

That to me clears this of any debate. 

End thread. Chris was done or it was illegal skit was actually a good decision. 

explodin - 
DaddyRich -
PeterNorth -

It might have been the commission that decided it, but as soon as the knees were known to be legal Mirgalotta should've informed Chris and told him we restart right now or the fights over and you lose. My guess is the commission decided. Hoooorrrrible decision!!!!

100% this. Once the knees are declared legal you either restart immediately or call TKO. You can"t continue recovery time for a legal strike.

0% that... there's no "as soon as the knee is known to be legal"

The ref ruled it illegal. It can't be changed.

When the is a unreviewable play in the NFL the NFL can't call in and overrule the call on the field after the play.

Everything he said was true in states that allow replay

It was changed. You can't deny what we all saw. We know it shouldn't have been but it was.

ABCTT_HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - 
DaddyRich -
PeterNorth -

It might have been the commission that decided it, but as soon as the knees were known to be legal Mirgalotta should've informed Chris and told him we restart right now or the fights over and you lose. My guess is the commission decided. Hoooorrrrible decision!!!!

100% this. Once the knees are declared legal you either restart immediately or call TKO. You can't continue recovery time for a legal strike.
Well, you shouldn't get the rest of the foul break, BUT they should have continued the break for the doctor to evaluate Weidman, which is what was happening. The ref doesn't have the power to say "STFU doc, GTFO, he can continue".

Nobody can argue the doctor didn't determine Weidman was unable to continue, due to legal strikes. That's really all that should matter in the end. How the doctor got the chance to evaluate Weidman is irrelevant to the result.

I agree with you. I wasn't trying to say the doc couldn't evaluate him. I'm saying Chris shouldn't have been given more recovery time once Dan came back and called the strike legal.

JonJonesBone -
JonJonesBone -

No the result is correct, the rule isn't. I don't agree that they should have followed a rule, that would have only led to an unjust, screwing of a fighter.

Nobody is saying it's Chris' fault that the ref initially thought the knee was illegal. It's not a matter of fault. Sure Chris wanted to continue, but so does everyone that loses by ref or dr stoppage. The Doctor determined that Chris was unable to continue, due to a legal strike. How the doctor ended up in the cage to check on Chris, doesn't really matter because the ref can bring the doctor in to check on a fighter, at any time, for any reason.

DaddyRich -
DaddyRich -
PeterNorth -

100% this. Once the knees are declared legal you either restart immediately or call TKO. You can't continue recovery time for a legal strike.
Well, you shouldn't get the rest of the foul break, BUT they should have continued the break for the doctor to evaluate Weidman, which is what was happening. The ref doesn't have the power to say "STFU doc, GTFO, he can continue".

Nobody can argue the doctor didn't determine Weidman was unable to continue, due to legal strikes. That's really all that should matter in the end. How the doctor got the chance to evaluate Weidman is irrelevant to the result.

I agree with you. I wasn't trying to say the doc couldn't evaluate him. I'm saying Chris shouldn't have been given more recovery time once Dan came back and called the strike legal.
I agree, but I don't think that was technically recovery time, I think that was the doctor is evaluating him time. That's probably why the doctor didn't wait till the end of the 5 minutes to call the fight, because maybe he was told that the foul time wasn't valid anymore, so if Chris is good to fight, he's gotta fight right now.

DaddyRich -
explodin - 
DaddyRich -
PeterNorth -

100% this. Once the knees are declared legal you either restart immediately or call TKO. You can"t continue recovery time for a legal strike.

0% that... there's no "as soon as the knee is known to be legal"

The ref ruled it illegal. It can't be changed.

When the is a unreviewable play in the NFL the NFL can't call in and overrule the call on the field after the play.

Everything he said was true in states that allow replay

It was changed. You can't deny what we all saw. We know it shouldn't have been but it was.
It was and should have been changed, in my opinion.

it didnt continue cuz they asked weidman the date and he said february but didnt know what day it was 

http://www.thescore.com/mma/news/1276941-watch-weidman-appears-to-be-disoriented-during-ufc-210-debacle

akbar87 -

it didnt continue cuz they asked weidman the date and he said february but didnt know what day it was 

http://www.thescore.com/mma/news/1276941-watch-weidman-appears-to-be-disoriented-during-ufc-210-debacle

Yeah, Weidman didn't even know what month or day it was, because he was so damaged from legal strikes. Yet somehow people still think it should be a no contest, how ridiculous.

DaddyRich - 
PeterNorth -

See, this is what people defending the outcome are missing.

There is no mechanism for replay in New York. Once the knees are declared illegal, which they were, then there is no going back.

The knees were ruled, by the one person who ultimately makes the decision, to be illegal.

akbar87 -

Yeah, Weidman didn't even know what month or day it was, because he was so damaged from legal strikes. Yet somehow people still think it should be a no contest, how ridiculous.

Ok, it shouldn't be a No Contest. Wiedman wins.

Don't like that outcome? Tough.

The knees were ruled illegal at the time they happened. There is no replay to reverse that ruling in New York.

If Wiedman can't continue, then it's up to Miragliotta to determine if the knees were intentionally illegal. If they were intentional, then Wiedman wins, if not, then its a no contest.

There's only two outcomes if the doctor says he can't continue. What happened isn't one of them (which is why this should be the easiest appeal ever to win).

BiggGunn -
akbar87 -

The knees were ruled illegal at the time they happened. There is no replay to reverse that ruling in New York.

If Wiedman can't continue, then it's up to Miragliotta to determine if the knees were intentionally illegal. If they were intentional, then Wiedman wins, if not, then its a no contest.

There's only two outcomes if the doctor says he can't continue. What happened isn't one of them (which is why this should be the easiest appeal ever to win).
Lol, Weidman should win? That's funny, but we're having a serious conversation here.

209ese - Chris got his ass kicked and went all emo crying into the mic that they were illegal. A fighter who wants to win would have demanded to continue instead he wanted a 5 minutes because he was broken. No rematch. Weidman should retire

you should retire from the internet

I see both sides. It looks like a legal knee to me according to the current rules. it's sad but I don't think Dan M or Joe were thinking about the new rules. When's Dan gave chris 5 minutes for an illegal strike and then the fight is called a TKO during that time due to the very se strike that's pretty messed up to the guy who was given the time. By giving him the time he's saying that was illegal and if you can't continue it'll be a dq. The question is if Weidman truly could have continued or if he was playing it up for the dq. Regardless of the answer the ref screwed up (didn't seem familiar with the rules he's supposed to uphold) and it affected the outcome of the match. That is the very definition of bad reffing in my eyes. This is the kind of thing you see in local amateur shows.

Kryptboy - Weidman can't spend 5 minutes pretending the knee had ended his life because he thought it was illegal. Then as soon as the legality was cleared up he's fine. Then soon as the fight is called off he's claiming it's illegal again. He's turned into a whiney little bitch for such a tough guy.

^now this is how a real tough guy whines

Every thing that happened between the last knee landing and Gerad getting his hand raised was pure incompetence and unprofessionalism.

It was the correct call to stop the fight and give Mousasi the victory because that's what should have happened after the knee landed and Weidman could not continue.

BiggGunn -
akbar87 -

Lol, Weidman should win? That's funny, but we're having a serious conversation here.

Again, there's two possibilities once the doctor says he can't go. You're the one that thinks that the no contest is ridiculous. If it's ridiculous, then the other outcome is the only viable one, which is Weidman winning.

I think a no contest is the correct decision. But, by the book, there's only a limited number of outcomes, and the one that happened isn't one of them.

ShootProod - I get it. Dan didn't see if the knees we're legal, it was really close.

But why not allow the fight to to continue after realizing it was the wrong call?
Im with you on this one. Nysac has alot of improvement to do.