Fighter/corner communication - they need earbuds

This is probably going to sound idiotic to some, and be written off as potentially injury causing by others, but...

Are we reaching a point where fighters could benefit from direct radio/bluetooth/etc communication with their corners? I'm not sure if youve ever been to a large live event, but it is literally deafening. I'm positive the noise impacts a fighter's ability to hear it's corner and receive instruction/help (would be really cool if a green namer thats fought in a large org can confirm/deny this). I'd venture to guess that being able to hear concise, clear instruction from your coaches would be immensely valuable during the fight. As it stands now, corners have to scream short word phrases over and over just to be heard, and most simply repeat the basics over and over, then give a more detailed coaching between rounds.  

Are there even earbuds developed yet that could safely support this type of activity? obviously theyd have to be wireless, incredibly small, and able to withstand trauma - but the benefits would be absolutely mindblowing to a fighter.

Thoughts/concerns/criticisms?

At first I was like: let's get him.
But then I was like: That's a pretty solid idea. Phone Post

There is way to much potential for a strike to push the device device too deep and injury the drum or the piece could be sent flying after every strike

Megaphones lol Phone Post

The thing is, guys train themselves to shut out everything else. I saw this with my son when he was high school wrestling. He told me one day that even though both teams and the crowd were screaming and going crazy that the only thing he could hear was my voice and his coach's voice.

At a big show in Winnipeg, I had the honor of being in the corner for a former UFC fighter. His coach, another former UFC fighter was just talking. Talking, not yelling. And the fighter could hear him, and only him.

It's amazing how a person can do this, but it works. I think there is too much risk of injury to use any device, just teach guys how to train their hearing in this way.

Headset for between rounds maybe? Phone Post

I like it.  

bravo13 - The thing is, guys train themselves to shut out everything else. I saw this with my son when he was high school wrestling. He told me one day that even though both teams and the crowd were screaming and going crazy that the only thing he could hear was my voice and his coach's voice.

At a big show in Winnipeg, I had the honor of being in the corner for a former UFC fighter. His coach, another former UFC fighter was just talking. Talking, not yelling. And the fighter could hear him, and only him.

It's amazing how a person can do this, but it works. I think there is too much risk of injury to use any device, just teach guys how to train their hearing in this way.

For every one of these type of guys, there's ten who can't do this. Certainly you've seen fighters drag/pull/move their opponent into their own corner so they can hear instruction?

futurepr0n - Yes, because getting punched in the head with something in your ear is a great idea..

..idiot..

/thread

I'm sure people used that same rationale when mouthguards were first introduced.

. Phone Post

How about we give the coaches megaphones.

Except Keith Florian.

This is about as retarded as having a pitcher and catcher with ear pieces to talk to the manager. Phone Post

Brandable - 
futurepr0n - Yes, because getting punched in the head with something in your ear is a great idea..

..idiot..

/thread

I'm sure people used that same rationale when mouthguards were first introduced.

Now there's an idea, the mouthguards could be the very thing that contains a small speaker system built in. Who needs a ear piece?

http://www.sonitusmedical.com/product/technology.cfm

Consider that mounted in a mouthguard.

Just hire Keith Florian

For BJ it's probably better he doesn't hear "FUck him up BJ! Fuck him up!" The whole fight.

IDOHARM - 

A fighter should be able to execute a game plan for 5 minutes, as they get to re-adjust it with their corner in between rounds. I don't think it'd be necessary to hear "Kick, Kick, okay..circle and throw the jab" coming from your mouth while you're fighting.

Generally, a fighter spends atleast two weeks concentrating solely on how to combat the style of their opponent, and I don't see this as being beneficial in the least. Phone Post

You say that but you hear cornermen scream instructions constantly during a round so it kind of negates your entire point.

ChaosOverkill - 

For BJ it's probably better he doesn't hear "FUck him up BJ! Fuck him up!" The whole fight.

lol.

Never really had a hard time hearing coach in a fight... Years of hearing him call out combos and his voice cuts through it all... Phone Post

IDOHARM - 
Beelze -
IDOHARM -  A fighter should be able to execute a game plan for 5 minutes, as they get to re-adjust it with their corner in between rounds. I don't think it'd be necessary to hear "Kick, Kick, okay..circle and throw the jab" coming from your mouth while you're fighting.

Generally, a fighter spends atleast two weeks concentrating solely on how to combat the style of their opponent, and I don't see this as being beneficial in the least. Phone Post

You say that but you hear cornermen scream instructions constantly during a round so it kind of negates your entire point.

You "hear" cornerman instructions all of the time, but how much of that shit is actually beneficial to the fighter? From what I've seen, a fighter either fails to utilize what their corner is telling them, even when told in between rounds.

Or the corner really has nothing beneficial or remarkable to shout out during the round at all, which happens more often then not. Phone Post

True, in most cases I agree completely, and personally I think a fighter should be able to go 5 minutes without instruction as you stated. Though, there has been times I've seen it useful for cornermen instructions was for example on TUF 4 when Serra coached a fighter (I can't remember who it was off the top of my head) how to avoid a RNC I think it was, so times like that a very clear instruction could be extremely beneficial as it as shown to be.

By the way, I responded to this thread mainly to input the idea of communicating via something safer than a ear piece, as I think that's what made people against the OP myself included.