Fighting to Finish or Fighting to not Lose

The Condit v Diaz fight has obviously stirred up a mess on the internet, and if we remove all fan-bias from the subject (ie diaz fans, and diaz haters angry at the result) there IS still an underlying issue that I believe causes fans of MMA to need to make a gut check.

When Dana White issued the proclamation that "Winner gets GSP" he screwed the pooch. Maybe in his mind, he thought that both camps would come out and fight to the burger for the shot at GSP and never even thought for a second that the fighters would just try to fight to "not lose", but still, when the face of the UFC makes this statement it's an ignorant move.

All bitching aside, all stats aside.. Did Condit fight to FINISH Diaz? When in the 5 rounds did Condit show any sort of killer instinct that beyond any doubt says "yes, right here we see Condit trying to end the fight and not leave it to the judges" ?

While decisions are decisions, and I personally am cooled down from the initial anger I felt at the outcome (being a Diaz fan), I'm willing to concede all of those personal feelings and just pose this question to any of you UGers who may understand what I'm asking.

" When in the 5 rounds did Condit show any sort of killer instinct "

Every time he threw a flying knee, hook to the head, right cross, spinning elbow. Or when he escaped Nick's sub attempt in the 5th and ended the fight punching a facedown Diaz in the head.

He fought to win.

His strategy was to keep the fight standing and strike from the outside. Many great strikers will tell you not to try for a knockout, but to work your technique and allow the knockout to come when it comes. Nick is a good fighter, and the knockout never came.

Carlos had the winning strategy.

If that's what it takes to win, that's what it takes to win.

Props to Condit and Jackson on a strategy that clearly looked to me like a losing one.

If Nick Diaz says he wants no part of that I really respect him for it and if he sticks to his guns he'll be my hero forever. This sport has gotten too big to be about fighting anymore, so now it's about doing everything you can do avoid a fight because you don't lose.

Maybe that will become exciting and attract millions of the new generation in the future, but with me that just doesn't fly. That's wasn't fighting. That was ducking a fight to get a title shot and sickened me a little bit.

In all honesty, I wasn't a huge fan of watching any sport until MMA came along and most of my friends were already hockey, football, basketball, or hardcore baseball fans. I found them a little too boring to follow.

Maybe this sport has to become boring to me to become truly acceptable to everyone else.

If that's the way it is then so be it. Something else will come along for me I'm sure.

Not being able to finish Nick fucking Diaz = point fighting now?

Condit threw the EXACT same strikes he threw against the last 3 opponents he DID finish with strikes.

Diaz is just a tough son of a bitch.

LayNprayNINJA -  Not being able to finish Nick fucking Diaz = point fighting now?

Condit threw the EXACT same strikes he threw against the last 3 opponents he DID finish with strikes.

Diaz is just a tough son of a bitch.

My post didnt mention anything about point fighting, I'm trying to just point out that when DW said "winner gets.." He opened the door for this.

I mean, YES Condit "won" the fight, absolutely. I'm asking more philosophically about the fight.

cdmontgo - He fought to win.

His strategy was to keep the fight standing and strike from the outside. Many great strikers will tell you not to try for a knockout, but to work your technique and allow the knockout to come when it comes. Nick is a good fighter, and the knockout never came.

Carlos had the winning strategy.

. Phone Post

I don't really have a problem with the way the fight went, I think it was a good show of good quality strategic stand up for the most part, don't get me wrong, not as exciting as watching Anderson silva do his matrix impression and destroy someone, but I enjoyed the fight, I think it showed that there was a lot on the line but with more exposure and more money coming into the sport I think we will see this more often, not every fight will be a shogun Hendo war, but the fact those fights are few and far between makes them more memorable Phone Post

cdmontgo,

A trainer will tell his fighter that if he is throwing wildly and so hard he loses his balance etc.

The goal in any striking art though is to finish a fighter. It is clear to me that Carlos did not have that as his goal.

ttt for fighting to the burger!

Just a plain sign that MMA is a sport now

and NOT a fight, as it used to be......

And it's OK.....

I'm just sayin'....

"  I'm asking more philosophically about the fight."

Your OP posed ONE question and I answered it in the very first post on your thread, but I guess it wasn't the answer you wanted to hear.

" Just a plain sign that MMA is a sport now

and NOT a fight, as it used to be......"

Carlos Condit hits Nick Diaz with a left during their interim welterweight championship bout Saturday, Feb. 4, 2012 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center. Condit won a unanimous decision and will likely face Georges St. Pierre in November. 

Photobucket

UFC 143 Diaz vs. Condit: 10 Things We Learned Last Night 

"Thank god I'm not in a fight, I just hope I can score enough to win this game and get outta here!"