Fightmetric for Varner/Shalorus

Very odd how they do this.

Striking (landed):

R1: Varner, 20; Shalorus, 20
R2: Varner, 14; Shalorus, 27
R3: Varner, 13; Shalorus, 58

So round 2 is clearly a 10-9 round for Shalorus. With the point deduction, the round would be 9-9. Yet their final call is 29-27 Varner even though their stats say he could have only won round one. If you did give Varner round 1, you would have this:

R1: 10-9 Varner
R2: 9-9 Shalorus
R3: 10-9 Shalorus

So you still end with a 28-28 tie. How on earth did they come to 29-27 when their own stats refute that?

http://fightmetric.com/fights/Varner-Shalorus.html

TheTakeover - those stats are worthless. watch the fight, varner won.

agressive striking goes to varner all day.

epwar fail...

did you even bother to look at how fightmetric scored the fight on their total performance report?

Varner performance rating 56

Shalorus performance rating 40

Effectiveness score

Varner 283

Shalorus 169

10 point must

Varner 29-28

Varner 29-27 after 1pt deduction.

First time I've enjoyed a bad decision. not sure who had it 29-27, but it had to be a woman....bitches are the only ones that can score a fight worse than cecil

They clearly state that they value high power strikes more then low power, and Varner landed more power punches then Shalorus.

jbapk - They clearly state that they value high power strikes more then low power, and Varner landed more power punches then Shalorus.

id be interested to know how they define a power shot. I know that in boxing, a power shot is anything that is not a jab.

Varner was screwed BIG time! Mike Brozoulis was also screwed out of a victory over Shalorous in Texas. The guy fouls quite a bit and should have two losses on his record.

robbie380 -  epwar fail...

did you even bother to look at how fightmetric scored the fight on their total performance report?

Varner performance rating 56

Shalorus performance rating 40

Effectiveness score

Varner 283

Shalorus 169

10 point must

Varner 29-28

Varner 29-27 after 1pt deduction.

end thread

only one guy had spaghetti legs in that fight

I found it funny that Varner was going down for a 10 count after each nut shut, walking around like he had a bean bag bitten off and then 2 seconds later fighting like he is on crack. I personally think the first 2 didn't even hit him in the balls, the 2nd one looked like it was high on the thigh. I have certainly seen dudes take more flush nut shots and not roll around on the ground every time. Dude must have gotten done watching a world cup game or something...

i thought cecil was the only one that got this one right at 28-28

elburrogrande - 
jbapk - They clearly state that they value high power strikes more then low power, and Varner landed more power punches then Shalorus.

id be interested to know how they define a power shot. I know that in boxing, a power shot is anything that is not a jab.

I've tried to reach two different people at fightmetric to ask this exact question, but no one got back with me.

As already mentioned, quantity of strikes IS counted, but secondary to "effective strikes".  Not only did Varner land the more effective strikes by a fucking landslide, but Shalorus was dazed twice in two different rounds, and one of those times he was wobbled for more than just a few seconds.  That's the arguable definition of a 10-8 score.

I'm actually okay with the 28-28 score just to be lenient and not too bull-headed, but I highly disagree with it and think it's fucked up that anyone could score it that way considering how Shalorus was visibly rocked twice.

I had Varner winning the fight.

Uncle Justice - 
elburrogrande - 

I've tried to reach two different people at fightmetric to ask this exact question, but no one got back with me.

As already mentioned, quantity of strikes IS counted, but secondary to "effective strikes".  Not only did Varner land the more effective strikes by a fucking landslide, but Shalorus was dazed twice in two different rounds, and one of those times he was wobbled for more than just a few seconds.  That's the arguable definition of a 10-8 score.

I'm actually okay with the 28-28 score just to be lenient and not too bull-headed, but I highly disagree with it and think it's fucked up that anyone could score it that way considering how Shalorus was visibly rocked twice.

At the end of the fight Varner was clearly the one who had sustained more damage. Shalorus looked like he could go another 2 rounds. And it wasn't only because of the groin shots -- Shalorus mauled Varner's lead leg ala Aldo-Faber. Granted, Shalorus got "rocked" a few times, if you can even call it that. He was really never in any danger.

I think, had the fight gone another round or so, Varner would be th eone unable to continue do to Shalorus doing more damage.