Fihlo is a little too conservative

He was always like that. He never attempts for a submission unless it's left open. He almost plays points in the ring.

"Monsta I don't think you would find him conservative if you fought him.."

But we're not fighting him, we're paying to watch him fight. And that's all about entertainment. Yeah, he won and won easily, but he clearly won't take sub attempts because his game plan is to keep control at all times. So he doesn't want to risk an attempt that causes him to lose position or even have the chance of losing position. As a result the fights aren't nearly as entertaining as they could be. He could have taken that guy out IMO if he had simply decided to get a little less conservative and go for some subs. It works for him to play the position game, and he did win without ever really being in danger, but it doesn't make for a terribly exciting fight.

"Some of you need to stop requesting entertainment and left fighters fight"

We're paying for entertainment. Pride doesn't want to broadcast boring fights any more than we want to watch them, because boring fights won't bring in the PPV dollars.

I know what he can do, and I know his game pretty well. Even Filho states he is disappointed in the excitement level of his fights as late. He takes no risks. I know which subs have a high percentile of hitting as well, as much as he does. But that doesn't mean you can't set one up. Look as fighters we all take risks. The fact that some fighters are in their to win, and others are in their to finish, and others are in their just to fight, without regard for victory or defeat. As a fan, NOT AS A FIGHTER, AS A FAN, I'm not really interested is seeing him fight anymore. Because he lays in control of a guy and wins that way. He doens't try to win as much for going for the finish. He doesn't fight like he has to finish, he looks like he's fighitng for points.

Monsta is right. That's why I agree with the judges call in Sliva-Arona II. Wanderlai didnt even come close to finishing - neither did Aronna- but we know he TRIED, while Ricardo was content with "point scoring" tactics.

As a FAN I want to see action, not stalling. Especially since Filho and Arona are so damn good and skilled we expect more. They have what it takes to be superstars of the sport but dont go all out.

I am a big fan of BJJ and BTT, but I hate the way Filho and Arona fight

" Some of you need to stop requesting entertainment and left fighters fight."

The object of the match is to KO or submit your opponent. While it is possible to win on points, that is in NO WAY the stated objective of the contest or something to be deliberately pursued. No one has a problem with "letting fighters fight", but controlling position is not fighting (it is an aspect of fighting that is a means to the end of finishing your opponent).

during his last fight, it seemed like he actually wanted to finish the guy a lot more decisively than just another armbar. there were times when he had the side-mount and while he clearly had either an armbar or a kimura he just decided not to go for it.

Instead he looked for the mount, in order to finish by GNP; it never came though, the frenchie was covering for dear life. Filho's reaction at the end was more than informative of what his intentions were coming into the fight.

the man just slices through all opposition and you still hate on him for not being the kind of MMA fighter you like to watch.

I would hardly call lying on guys for 15 minutes "slicing through all opposition".

"He doens't try to win as much for going for the finish. He doesn't fight like he has to finish, he looks like he's fighitng for points."

that is not really consistent with the fact that he could have ended the fight early with either an armbar or a kimura from the side mount. he was constantly trying to pass guard and rain it down; that is trying to finish a fight IMO and finish it in a spectacular fashion instead of just another armbar. yes maybe his game is such that he is not going to put himself in a difficult situation but then again that's his game. It's up to his opponent to take him somewhere he doesn't wanna go.

"I would hardly call lying on guys for 15 minutes "slicing through all opposition"."

is that what he did against Ninja? Sakurai? Suloev? even against Gregory he did not lay on him; it was Gregory was stalling and there was not much Paulo could do about that.

well lol at you  for thinking that Filho was just scared to try out his shit and was thus stalling. either that or you simply haven't watched the fight.

"But we're not fighting him, we're paying to watch him fight. And that's all about entertainment."

you should go and watch sum pro wrestling

your hating IQ has reached bottom and beyond. Perhaps you also think that the ref was being funny for giving him 2 green cards.

dude, go watch the fight. you are not even funny

yep, both me and his 2 green cards ;)

filho is easily the the most boring a-grade fighter in mma imo. many fans here in japan that ive spoken to cant stand him and hope he doesnt get a new contract. it will be a sad day indeed if he wins the gp. thankfully kang and henderson both have the skills to stop him.